Possible noob RAID question

Chris_Trooper

I would like to check with you guys that my 2 hard drives will work in a RAID 0 array.

Seagate Baracuda 80GB 7200RPM- ST380815AS

Seagate Baracuda 80GB 7200RPM- ST3802110AS

They are identical apart from the part numbers (And one is a bit thicker in physical size)

I hope to set up my first RAID array and just want to make sure these will work together ok.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried RAID 0 with the Seagate Barracuda 80GB drives, totally identical, and they kept failing. Each drive on their own was okay, just in RAID 0 they kept failing. Just FYI in case you experience the same. You might not.

I've tried RAID 0 with the Seagate Barracuda 80GB drives, totally identical, and they kept failing. Each drive on their own was okay, just in RAID 0 they kept failing. Just FYI in case you experience the same. You might not.

Thanks for the heads up! I have had an 80GB one in my gaming rig for a while and managed to pick up another one for £12! I figured if RAID 0 will enhance my pc performance i have nothing to lose. If they fail i will just revert them back to seperate drives.

Thanks for the heads up! I have had an 80GB one in my gaming rig for a while and managed to pick up another one for £12! I figured if RAID 0 will enhance my pc performance i have nothing to lose. If they fail i will just revert them back to seperate drives.

Just back up your drive/data, first. When you set-up a RAID array, you have to start from a clean slate, so any existing data on the hard drives are erased.

Just back up your data, first. When you set-up a RAID array, you have to start from a clean slate, so you have to erase any existing data.

Yeah i will cheers. I have a 160GB Seagate Barracuda (They are budget friendly :D ) drive which i will dump everything i need on to. I will leave that one as the storage drive and the RAID drives will be for installing my games and programs on to.

Yeah i will cheers. I have a 160GB Seagate Barracuda (They are budget friendly :D ) drive which i will dump everything i need on to. I will leave that one as the storage drive and the RAID drives will be for installing my games and programs on to.

Sounds good, let us know how it works out. It would be interesting to know if the 80GB Seagate Barracuda's just don't like RAID 0. I still have both of mine that I don't use anymore (used primarily for loading Linux attached as an external), if you want them for cheap (like maybe $5 each, depends on shipping), let me know. In case RAID 10 works better.

Sounds good, let us know how it works out. It would be interesting to know if the 80GB Seagate Barracuda's just don't like RAID 0. I still have both of mine that I don't use anymore (used primarily for loading Linux attached as an external), if you want them for cheap (like maybe $5 each, depends on shipping), let me know. In case RAID 10 works better.

Thanks for the offer. I was only going to try RAID 0 as i heard it was best for performance. I have my other hard drive for backup and reliability.

If they don't work i will sell them on and get some different ones :D What OS did you try and setup that didnt work? Im going to be loading XP Pro onto them.

Thanks for the offer. I was only going to try RAID 0 as i heard it was best for performance. I have my other hard drive for backup and reliability.

If they don't work i will sell them on and get some different ones :D What OS did you try and setup that didnt work? Im going to be loading XP Pro onto them.

I did it with Windows 7 Pro x64.

Well im currently running RAID 0 with my Seagate Barracudas :D I dont have a floppy drive so i slipstreamed the RAID drivers and also XP SP2 into the windows setups files and created my own boot disk. Was rather fun :P

Updates are installing fine and the few programs i have currently managed to install zipped through in seconds. Hopefully it will remain stable and i will see some better performance (already noticed the amazingly quick installs) :D

Thanks to everyone for the advice/ guidance.

Ok i managed to get all updates and service pack 3 installed. I have re-overclocked my system as follows (Specs are in signiature):

Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ - 1333 FSB Linked and Synced to RAM @ 667 MHz

CPU Core - 1.21 Volts via VID

Memory - 2.00 Volts

I have all my overclock settings put back to the same as when i had a single 80gb SATA HDD. BUT....

My PCMark05 score has dropped 300 points??

Single 80GB HDD + 160GB HDD = 8590 Score

2 x 80GB HDD in RAID 0 with 64k stripe size + 160GB HDD = 8220

Can anyone shed any light?