Possible noob RAID question

Chris_Trooper

For best performance you should have set the array for 128k stripe size!

Also, open "My Computer" right click on your drive C and click on "Properties"

Then uncheck "allow indexing on this disk/drive

in the pop up box click, for all sub folders as well.

Then there will be some that can't be processed, just click ignore all, and then let it do it's thing.

Your drive speed is now faster.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larger stripe size for larger files, like videos, music files, and things like that.

Smaller stripe size if you're storing lots of smaller files or doing a lot of IO's. Since HDD IO's are minimal anyway, you won't see any benefits with a smaller stripe size.

Just go with the larger stripe size.

Oh ya, without a floppy, you can also load driver with a USB drive!

Oop's, maybe not with XP? I don't think the USB drivers are on XP either?

Not sure, been a long time since I used XP!

Never mind!

But still, nice job!

Thanks for the tip Alinc. I unchecked indexing for the drive and did another benchmark. Still came up as a lower score. I read that 64k stripe size was best for gaming and performance. I should have checked before hand.

I have used nlite to slipstream my RAID drivers in to my XP install disk. I also slipstreamed service packs 2 and 3 to it as well so reinstalling windows wont be much hassle. I will try a reinstall with the larger stripe size and see what happens :D

I have all drivers up to date so they shouldnt be an issue.

Ya, I've used both 64k, and 128k, and from experience I can tell you that 128k is faster.

I've been using Raid-0 128k for years now, with both XP and Vista.

If you have these options in your device manager, you can click on your Disk Drive, then right click on your Raid-0 array (Volume 0)

and enable advanced cache. This will also speed up your disk speed.

Ya, I've used both 64k, and 128k, and from experience I can tell you that 128k is faster.

It *really* depends on what you're doing. For streaming reads/writes 128 KB will be slightly better than 64 KB but you'll lose *any* performance increase on files smaller than 128 KB.

I usually stick to 64 KB to maximize file striping for mechanical drives without unduly loading down my drives/controller (stripe sizes that are too small tend to hurt performance as well).

Edited by Waco

Thanks for all the tips and advice. If i start over and tell you my goal, maybe you can suggest the best way to set up my RAID0.

I want to install Windows XP 34bit on to the RAID. I also want to install Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 + Call of Duty Black Ops onto it. I want the best possible performance from the RAID0 as i would also like to run some benchmarks such as PCMark05 and 3DMark06. Loss of data is no bother to me as i have a stand alone backup 160GB HDD with everything on it.

My questions-

Would it be best for me to create a partition on the C: (RAID0) drives and install my OS on to the partition?

When i setup the RAID the first time it asked if i wanted to make the drive "Bootable". I figured it meant that i wanted to boot from the RAID so i selected yes.

The next time i install windows and setup the RAID0 i will select a 128k stripe size as it is what most of you have suggested.

Thanks again! All the advice is very much appreciated and will be remembered for future! :D

It'll likely make next to no difference for loading times and such - you'll see synthetic benchmark scores rise if they test for sustained reads and writes with RAID 0 though.

It'll likely make next to no difference for loading times and such - you'll see synthetic benchmark scores rise if they test for sustained reads and writes with RAID 0 though.

I respectfully disagree!

I see a big change in load, and booting speeds when using a 128k stripe Raid-0 array!

Plus the sequential read/write time's are much faster!

Although in the games you mentioned (or any game), the Raid array wont make a bit of difference in the games performance!