jdm_freek

so i just finishing my new build

i7 870

asus p7p755d

4 gig of g skill DDR3 1600

his 5870

kingston 64 gig ssd

coolit ECO

and i realize my temps are not what they should be 60c at idle.

having 100+ builds under my belt experience tells me heatsink is not seated properly so i proceed to remove and replace heatsink get it all bottoned up hit power switch it powers up but wont post.

so naturaly i start to freak maybe i over tightened cracked mobo , static fried ram i was lost

swapped gpu and nothing flashed bios nothing changed ram still nothing

wife comes home says try loosening heatsink and bingo im a noob thank god ps it idles at 35c now :-)

so i just finishing my new build

i7 870

asus p7p755d

4 gig of g skill DDR3 1600

his 5870

kingston 64 gig ssd

coolit ECO

and i realize my temps are not what they should be 60c at idle.

having 100+ builds under my belt experience tells me heatsink is not seated properly so i proceed to remove and replace heatsink get it all bottoned up hit power switch it powers up but wont post.

so naturaly i start to freak maybe i over tightened cracked mobo , static fried ram i was lost

swapped gpu and nothing flashed bios nothing changed ram still nothing

wife comes home says try loosening heatsink and bingo im a noob thank god ps it idles at 35c now :-)

Damn...I want your wife...not really but who would come up with that?

There was a thread about this issue before, about there ever being anything wrong with over-tightening a heatsink. It happened to me before, and I think it was because I squeezed too much of the TIM out, and any uneven layers between the surface of the CPU and heatsink was where the thermal transfers were occurring, instead of evenly throughout the whole surface.

So how tight did you have it?

Hard to answer, I know but did you use a large screwdriver and bear down hard?

I use the three fingers (and thumb) on the end small 1" dia screw driver firm but not too tight.

Maybe someone will come up with a Torque Screwdriver :biggrin:

So how tight did you have it?

Hard to answer, I know but did you use a large screwdriver and bear down hard?

I use the three fingers (and thumb) on the end small 1" dia screw driver firm but not too tight.

Maybe someone will come up with a Torque Screwdriver :biggrin:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=64649&group_ID=16437&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

I have one of these. Never thought to use it on my PC...... hummm.... wheels turning........ :)

I had this same issue on BluePanda's machine after I modded her CoolIT ECO ALC - it turns out I had mounted it slightly lopsided and it wasn't making full contact with the CPU. Loosening one side and tightening the other fixed it. :)