External Hard disk reliability

Jump4h

I've used an external hard disk to stream all my movies & tv shows to my ps3 for about 6 months. Before that I used it for about 2 years. About 3 days ago, when I started my computer, I couldn't find the hard disk in my computer. Win7 said "USB not recognized".

I freaked, thought I lost all 749GB of media. After about 4 reboots it found the hard disk. I was able to backup almost everything ( a few useless files had been corrupted). I intend to buy a 2TB WD green now, hard disk prices have plummeted in the last year in Finland.

My question is: Are external USB hard disks lower quality than internal hard disks? Almost all external drives cost about 10-20% more, and I see nothing in them that internal doesn't do / does better.

Edited by Jump4h

I wouldn't make the statement that the drives used in externals are lower quality. If you go out and buy a Seagate external drive, it will have a Seagate external hard drive - same way for other big names like Western Digital/etc. External drives do see a lot more movement and transportation, which can cause the drive to wear.

Often if something like this happens, you can tear the thing apart and use the drive that's in the external as an internal drive in a desktop to retrieve the data. I've had to do this before when the SATA-USB bridge that is inside of the external drive failed. This may be what you are experiencing. If it continues to act up, you can tear the external casing open, purchase an empty enclosure, and use that instead.

Often if something like this happens, you can tear the thing apart and use the drive that's in the external as an internal drive in a desktop to retrieve the data. I've had to do this before when the SATA-USB bridge that is inside of the external drive failed.

This. These are the places where the companies tend to go skimpy on parts, is on those bridges. Most likely, the drive itself is fine.

On one of my externals, the bridge itself has shifted some so it makes it a bit difficult to plug in. I'll probably tear it apart before long, its only a 60GB though that I used to backup my PS3's data a few times.. first to send it in and then again when I installed a 500GB in it. :lol:

My primary external for my computer is a 500GB hard drive I bought and then stuck in an external enclosure. It was the cheapest solution at the time and should still be. So, I recommend going that route rather than buying one of the WD externals for a crazy high price.

My primary external for my computer is a 500GB hard drive I bought and then stuck in an external enclosure. It was the cheapest solution at the time and should still be. So, I recommend going that route rather than buying one of the WD externals for a crazy high price.

:withstupid: I always make my own externals, it gives you better flexibility with the drive and sometimes longer warranties all while being the same price or cheaper!