My Motherboard is Going to Explode

xfluux

You should also download and run HWmonitor here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Post a screen shot of your temps and voltages!

Also make sure all of your fans are running at full speed! Disable any fan control in the bios, like Cool and Quiet

Your rear fan has to be pointed out of your case, to be used as Exhaust

Also if thats the stock fan that came with the case, you might want to get a stronger exhaust fan (higher CFM)

The case you chose only allows for 2, 120mm fans (front-intake & rear-exhaust), for an i7 system, thats a bad combo!

So I would probably upgrade both fans, to higher output fans!

Those are some scary temp!!! But as said above, your gpu seams fine, but should idle closer to 40C

In this case, also as said above, you might want to take it to a professional in your area, for a diagnostic!

hey, thank you for your reply.

I havent had a chance to DL HWmonitor, but I ran some tests, Im going to post it in another reply. Look out for them to find out what's going wrong. Thanks for helping me out.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off there is a lot of misdirection in these replies. Knowing that NZXT uses a couple low CFM fans in this quiet case the quickest way to improved cooling will be to install a higher CFM fan in the front and clear out any obstructions. I did a review on this case back in 2007 and it is a nice case but it is designed as a quiet case not one optimized for airflow.

Get a higher CFM fan for the front. Something that pushes about 80-90 CFM and put the fan on the H50 so that it blows outwards, in my testing it was not that big of a difference and by blowing in you are dumping the thermal load from the CPU in the chassis with no way to get it back out. Corsairs directions for installation say to blow the airflow into the case but also cautions that you should adjust the orientation of any remaining fans so that you can get this heat out of the case. By doing this you should see significant improvements in your operating temperatures much lower than you are seeing now. No need to pull the H50 pump assy off the CPU at this point unless you do not have it secured correctly.

Hey, thank you for your reply.

It seems you have done a lot of testing on the NZXT Hush case, can you link your review of it?

I'm going to look into getting a stronger fan with higher CFM. I also may test blowing air outward and adding another fan on the other side of the radiator on the H50 to blow it out quicker. Either that, or i may try to blow air inwards but add an extra fan to help with blowing cold air in.

Thanks for your expert opinion on this matter. I am replying with my test results, maybe this will give you a better understanding of my situation.

Again, thanks for your help and feel free to comment more after reading my test results further along in this thread.

Hey guys,

Alright, so I ran some tests, and I ran into some problems along the way.

First off, the temperature where I am at is around 17 C (62 F); it may be a little hotter cause I am indoors, but where I live I dont have heaters or anything turned on, so I estimate it is around 18-20 C right now in my room.

I ran 3 different test cases:

1. Idle (closed chassis):

CPU: 45 C

MB: 46 C

NB: 63 C

GPU: 34 C

CPU Fan: 680 RPM

Chassis Fan: 1080 RPM (the H50 connects to this Chassis fan 3 pin connector)

2. Prime95 (30 min; closed chassis; In-place large FFTs w/ 8 threads):

CPU: 72 C

MB: 55 C

NB: 77 C

GPU: 34 C

CPU Fan: 1687 RPM

Chassis Fan: 1259 RPM (again, the H50 connects to this Chassis fan 3 pin connector)

3. Prime95 (20 min; open chassis (both sides open); In-place large FFTs w/ 8 threads):

CPU: 75 C

MB: 42 C

NB: 70 C

GPU: 32 C

CPU Fan: 1704 RPM

Chassis Fan: 0 RPM (again, the H50 connects to this Chassis fan 3 pin connector)

As you probably noticed, the Chassis Fan in the last test case is shown as 0 RPM. While i was testing, I finished both the first 2 test cases, then got onto the third. I ran Prime95 (open chassis) for about an hour until the MB temp displayed 1 C ~ 2 C. This was definitely odd. So i installed SpeedFan to double check; and sure enough, SpeedFan also displayed 1~2 C for the MB.

I then restarted the computer thinking maybe something just went wrong with the program.

I ran the 3rd test again, and after about 10 minutes, the Chassis Fan displayed 0 RPM. I am unsure what is going wrong, except that maybe my motherboard is defective (all my parts are brand new, got it about a week ago).

Another thing I noticed was that my Chassis fan (the real chassis fan connected to my case and blowing air into the case) is only connected through the power supply. There is no connector where I can connect the frontal fan onto the motherboard to check the speeds or change them--so it just runs at it's own speed.

Another thing i noticed which may or may not be of concern is that at times (maybe every 5 minutes) my browser would lag (maybe i am scrolling down, then it freezes the browser for a second). It may be because my internet is slow right now, but the internet speed should not lag it.

I would definitely appreciate your inputs to this matter. Thank you again in advance for all your help in resolving my issue, this is my first time posting and I already feel like this is a great community.

I am attaching a few pictures of my computer to help give a better visual understanding of my computer. hope to hear back soon

28mibr5.jpg

cht37.jpg

21j67uh.jpg

2evz3hd.jpg

Set up the flow path as shown in this picture You halso have a video card that dumps heat into the case so the more flow going through the case the better for your temps. Hush

:withstupid:

Maybe take off the rear slot plates under the video card so some of it's temps can vent right out, definitely get some additional airflow towards the radiator too

For starters having two intake fans and no exhaust fans does not help. If anything exhaust fans are a lot more important than intake fans. If you are only pushing air in then the warm air will not escape at an efficient rate therefore making the warm air get to a point where it settles down and only escapes at its own rate. However if you have an exhaust fan it will be constantly throw out hot air and it will be replaced with room temp air anyway through the gaps around your case. The one thing you need to do too is get a push and pull setup on that h50. Set the push and pull up so that it pushes air through the back of the case also making more air travel through that h50. By exhausting the air and applying a push and pull on that h50 i reckon you will get a 7-10 degree temp different on your h50. As for your motherboard, it is beginning to sound like it is defective with it showing incorrect data on monitoring software and it is way too hot. But the best thing you can do at the moment is get a push and pull on that h50 and make it EXHAUST the fan out of the back. Hope this helps.

EDIT

Another suggestion, when installing the mobo did you at any point knock one of the heatsinks on the mobo. Maybe it is a good suggestion to reapply your heatsinks on your mobo with decent thermal paste.

Edited by bobby898

For starters having two intake fans and no exhaust fans does not help. If anything exhaust fans are a lot more important than intake fans. If you are only pushing air in then the warm air will not escape at an efficient rate therefore making the warm air get to a point where it settles down and only escapes at its own rate. However if you have an exhaust fan it will be constantly throw out hot air and it will be replaced with room temp air anyway through the gaps around your case. The one thing you need to do too is get a push and pull setup on that h50. Set the push and pull up so that it pushes air through the back of the case also making more air travel through that h50. By exhausting the air and applying a push and pull on that h50 i reckon you will get a 7-10 degree temp different on your h50. As for your motherboard, it is beginning to sound like it is defective with it showing incorrect data on monitoring software and it is way too hot. But the best thing you can do at the moment is get a push and pull on that h50 and make it EXHAUST the fan out of the back. Hope this helps.

EDIT

Another suggestion, when installing the mobo did you at any point knock one of the heatsinks on the mobo. Maybe it is a good suggestion to reapply your heatsinks on your mobo with decent thermal paste.

hey,

thanks for your reply bobby. this weekend ill definitely get more fans and make the H50 and exhaust, hopefully that helps. i got an antec spot cool and pointed it at the NB and it reduced the temperature to 50 C idle in a 25 C room.

i dont believe i knocked the heat sink on my mobo, but i've heard the thermal paste on some ASUS mobos arent that great. i called them and they said that the warranty will not be void if i change out the thermal paste.

thanks for your reply, it is definitely helpful

Couple of ideas here. First off I agree you should make the H50 a exhaust and the fan in front a intake. The GPU temp looks good to me and the NB might be lacking enough air flow to cool it. If it where me I would mount a fan in the drive bay to cool the NB down a bit. The CPU in my opinion is way to hot, I would be nervous to run it very long at anything over 60 C. Correct me if I am wrong but I would think that your H50 (if working properly) would keep the CPU temp down a lot better even with crappy air flow. It makes me wonder if your water pump in the H50 is moving enough water. From the pics it looks like you must have the fan on the H50 plugged in as the CPU fan and the H50 water pump as one of the chassis fans?? Again correct me if I am wrong but I think you said the front case fan is plugged directly in to the power supply, so that means your pump is what is reading the 0 RPM. Try moving the H50 pump to the CPU fan plug and the H50 fan to one of the chases fan plugs. My guess is that the chasses plugs may be shut off in the BIOS and that if you switch the H50 fan to where your pump is plugged in it may have 0 RPM as well. Just an idea, good luck and let us know hoe it works out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

thanks for everyone that gave input and helped out.

so i did a few things to my computer which helped out a bit.

first, i put 2 fans on my H50 (using the push/pull method with 2 scythe fans). these fans face outward as my exhaust.

next, my front fan, im utilizing my the corsair fan to bring in air as my intake.

I also bought some artic silver 5 and go ahead and replaced the NB headsink thermal paste. In addition, i also replaced the stock thermal paste from the H50.

I also have a fan (antec spotcooler) facing at the NB heatsink.

currently, my temperatures (although not as good as i want them to be) are not too bad. my CPU runs at around 48 on a regular day (not too hot, not too cold). my MB runs about the same, and my NB runs about 50c.

again, thank you everyone for your help, if anyone else has input, definitely let me know.