MSI Afterburner problem

mac173

I'm trying some rather aggressive settings for this card, so the crashes are hard ones. It is rare that a reset or two will do the trick (yes, I do try that).

I guess I will have to reboot. It just kills so much time.........

Why are you trying such aggressive settings :lol: , you can't just magically expect the card's limits to disappear. Unless you have some kind of external voltmodding and extreme cooling, you're only giving yourself unnecessary headache IMHO

No like running a bench in 2d clock speed.

I've only done that a handful of times and always catch it pretty much immediately (IE. Furmark is rendering as if it was on my GT210 :evilgrin: ). Idk what I've done different other than not take huge strides over the hardware's limits

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, you could use something like Rivatuner or one of the other 10k programs.

No you cant because a hard crash is still going to require a reboot. If you dont believe it try it yourself. Overvolt and overclock beyond what your card is capable of running and you will either get a hard lock with an unrecoverable black screen or if you are lucky the driver will restart but be stuck in 2D clock mode requiring a reboot to reinitialize the driver correctly. You can speed up your boot time by lowering the drive seek time out from 30-35 down to 0.

Afterburner is based off of Rivatuner so why would it work when the differing GUI will not!

From my experience, a crash that fails your drivers is due to a core clock being too high. A crash that doesn't is due to the memory clock being too high. The former requires a reboot, but the latter just needs the Afterburner settings to be re-applied to it again.

No you cant because a hard crash is still going to require a reboot. If you dont believe it try it yourself. Overvolt and overclock beyond what your card is capable of running and you will either get a hard lock with an unrecoverable black screen or if you are lucky the driver will restart but be stuck in 2D clock mode requiring a reboot to reinitialize the driver correctly. You can speed up your boot time by lowering the drive seek time out from 30-35 down to 0.

Afterburner is based off of Rivatuner so why would it work when the differing GUI will not!

I just crashed on my cousin's 460, seems my shader or core was unstable a smidge but the reset, reload profile and reapply still worked perfectly, Idk what it doesn't work with you guys. This is a different computer I'm on too.

From my experience, a crash that fails your drivers is due to a core clock being too high. A crash that doesn't is due to the memory clock being too high. The former requires a reboot, but the latter just needs the Afterburner settings to be re-applied to it again.

Usually a good indicator of a memory clock instability is artifacting

Usually a good indicator of a memory clock instability is artifacting

Not necessarily. That's what I always thought, but overclocking my dual GTX 460 1GB's in SLI, artifacting came from my core clock (only with AAx8 though).

Not necessarily. That's what I always thought, but overclocking my dual GTX 460 1GB's in SLI, artifacting came from my core clock (only with AAx8 though).

Ya but AA stresses the memory though, everytime I've ran into artifacts it's been the memory clock. I guess I'm just the oddball of this thread :lol:

Ya but AA stresses the memory though, everytime I've ran into artifacts it's been the memory clock. I guess I'm just the oddball of this thread :lol:

Yep. I've seen some crazy artifacts on my 4870X2 from the core clocks being too high as well (and I've crashed Afterburner too). :lol:

Yep. I've seen some crazy artifacts on my 4870X2 from the core clocks being too high as well (and I've crashed Afterburner too). :lol:

I love "stable" artifacts though, like when I used to play oblivion way back on my 850xt (this is back when I OC'd like an jackass) and my OC would obviously be too high and random textures would be shooting into the sky and stuff, normal flat ground would have spikes extruding out.

Or i'd play Stalker and the drivers would crash every 5 minutes, I never got the clue (btw that x850xt died, and my friend called me any idiot :lol: )

I had an X850XT PE before my 2900XT and both were absolute monsters when OC'ing - they'd hold "stable" no matter what I tried to do to crash them. Of course they couldn't render anything properly but I put down some nice benches with them at the time. :P

I've had problems with my GTX 260, sometimes it will drop to 400MHz and stay there, instead of bumping up to 738MHz like it should be.

I fixed it with rivatuner, but it idles at 51c and the increased noise is kind of annoying.

I've had problems with my GTX 260, sometimes it will drop to 400MHz and stay there, instead of bumping up to 738MHz like it should be.

I fixed it with rivatuner, but it idles at 51c and the increased noise is kind of annoying.

Sounds like somethings wrong with your card's bios

Well, after the last post I went back to factory settings, and started tweeking up by small amounts. I found I could push the Memory clock up pretty high without a crash, but my Core Clock had various results. I could at times get lower frame rates, but DECREASE the Core Clock, and get HIGHER frame rates. Finding a balance seems to be the trick.

Thanks for the replies. I am learning from your experiences, which is why I come here.

Thanks.