Unusual temperature after apply new thermal paste

Lugia0529

Hello everyone, last week,I buy a Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste and apply to my CPU, I have clean the thermal paste before I apply new thermal paste on it, but the new thermal paste give me a very weird temperature, it is about 38~40C when the CPU is idle and about 58~61C on gaming. I am sure I can get about 34~36C when idle and never exceed 55C on gaming with my previous thermal paste which is the stock thermal paste of Cooler Master GeminII S cooler...

I have reinstall the cooler and reapply the thermal paste but the temperature are still not change at all...

I also think that it is cause by the over-tighten of the screw so i have open a post about the screw over-tighten. But it doesn't seem is cause by the screw over-tighten.

What will be the problem that cause this unusual temperature? Is that the stock thermal paste is better than MX-2? Or my cooler is broken?

Hope someone can help me...Thank in advance

I've used MX-2 and now MX-3 and both are excellent thermal pastes, the only thing you can do is try re-applying the CM thermal paste to see what temps you get.

I kinda doubt that the stock thermal paste is better than MX-2, but I've never used CM paste, so I can't tell you one way or the other.

Try it with the CM paste again, and see what happens!

I've used MX-2 and now MX-3 and both are excellent thermal pastes, the only thing you can do is try re-applying the CM thermal paste to see what temps you get.

I kinda doubt that the stock thermal paste is better than MX-2, but I've never used CM paste, so I can't tell you one way or the other.

Try it with the CM paste again, and see what happens!

:withstupid:

If it changes than there's your answer, if not than we'll try and find the right one.

Just a suggestion maybe take a look at some guides on how to apply the paste. Apologies if you have already but i know that if you put too much on there then you can get spikes in temperatures. Worth a shot.

Edited by Hemidare

Just a suggestion maybe take a look at some guides on how to apply the paste. Apologies if you have already but i know that if you put too much on there then you can get spikes in temperatures. Worth a shot.

Though if he overtightened (which isn't always a bad thing), this will nullify most of the "over application" since it will squeeze out even more of the compound

After reading your post again, I'm thinking, it's either not seated correctly, or you may have over tightened the cooler.

Not sure if that cooler has stops on the mounting screws, so you can't over tighten it? Some coolers do, and some don't, and you can actually bend the motherboard with to much pressure.

Cause if CM's thermal paste was that good, I would have seen a review about it somewhere!

The ones I've read about MX-2 and MX-3 are always placed within the top 5, with minimal difference in degrees C

After reading your post again, I'm thinking, it's either not seated correctly, or you may have over tightened the cooler.

Not sure if that cooler has stops on the mounting screws, so you can't over tighten it? Some coolers do, and some don't, and you can actually bend the motherboard with to much pressure.

Cause if CM's thermal paste was that good, I would have seen a review about it somewhere!

The ones I've read about MX-2 and MX-3 are always placed within the top 5, with minimal difference in degrees C

Ya, I buy the MX-2 because I see many review says that it is good, so sad that i can't get MX-3 because it is hard to order in my country(The shop keep delay my order, and it is much more expensive in my country).

How do you apply your thermal paste? Because I have see many have different answer, someone say a size of a BB, someone say that MX-2 need to apply more than the others, it is very confuse....

Post your system specs with cooling and voltages. Those temps may be normal if you are running an i7 overclocked.

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2GHz 1.375v

CPU Cooler : Cooler Master GeminII S

Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

Graphic Card : Gigabyte GV-R587D5-1GD-B ATI HD5870 1GB

Graphic Card Cooler : Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 5870

RAM : Team Xtreem DDR3 LV Series 2x2GB @ 1333MHz 9-9-9-24

Harddrive : WD Carvair Blue 500GB

PSU : Gigabyte Odin Pro 800 watt

Case : Thermaltake V3 Black

The system is not overclocked.

I use that cooler, and i know the only time i get down to 34C is when its really cold or i have my case fans venting at full. (which by the way is impossible if you buy a Scythe KazeQ controller :angry:) I am just testing my stock load temps for you right know.

EDIT: Ok my load temps running prime for 20 mins(short imo but just for ops help) System = 29 CPU= 70, my point is that cooler ain't the greatest. Oh and @OP i am using CM paste. Applied per their instructions. Those temps are with the OPs cooler and my 2 Vantec Tornadoes airing my case at full rpm, also a 120mm on the front.

EDIT2: This is at stock w/ hyper threading and turbo boost enabled resulting in clock speeds of average 3.108 GHz

Update: 1 hour prime blend mode. System=29C CPU= lowest core 62C highest core 70C

Edited by SpeedCrazy

I also have a CM V8 cooler but it is not fit in my case...Thermaltake V3 is too small to fit that cooler...

I will try to reapply thermal paste on tomorrow and see how it work...Now i have to prepare for my exam on tomorrow...It is Data Structure and Algorithm and many people fail that at my school :(

Hope i can get very high score in this exam :thumbsup: