Good Small CPU Cooler

hockeyrcks9901

Just built a new HTPC and it's running great except it's a little warm. Under load it's around 60*C so I'm looking for a small but better than stock. Sound level is not too important because the PC is around 20 ft away from the couch.

The case us the Antec Fusion Remote 350 with an AMD Athlon II X3 445.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Just built a new HTPC and it's running great except it's a little warm. Under load it's around 60*C so I'm looking for a small but better than stock. Sound level is not too important because the PC is around 20 ft away from the couch.

The case us the Antec Fusion Remote 350 with an AMD Athlon II X3 445.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Heres one option from Noctua. I have no personal experience with this one but I dont think it could be worse than stock given it has a 140M Noctua fan on it.

depending on the case just adding another fan to the case helps with airflow alot...stock coolers work very well if you have sufficient airflow to them....any cooler will have a hard time keeping a CPU cool if its just using the same hot air inside the case....

depending on the case just adding another fan to the case helps with airflow alot...stock coolers work very well if you have sufficient airflow to them....any cooler will have a hard time keeping a CPU cool if its just using the same hot air inside the case....

System temperature is in the 30s Celsius and it has two intakes fans blowing right at the cpu cooler. An exhaust fan opposite the intakes and an intake on the PSU that seems to just exhaust out the back of the psu and not into the case.

I'll take some measurements of the case tomorrow to give some idea of what room I have to work with.

System temperature is in the 30s Celsius and it has two intakes fans blowing right at the cpu cooler. An exhaust fan opposite the intakes and an intake on the PSU that seems to just exhaust out the back of the psu and not into the case.

I'll take some measurements of the case tomorrow to give some idea of what room I have to work with.

I attached a picture with some measurements to show the kind of room I have to work with. A measurement that you can't see is the height from the motherboard surface to the case door, which is 80mm.

post-17193-12856092156487_thumb.jpg

Edited by hockeyrcks9901

Well, I'm going to try the Scythe 100mm HSF. I almost ordered the 120mm but decided that it was too "iffy" on whether it would fit or not.

With that on the way, I'm also not looking into quieting down the intake and exhaust fans. I have three 80mm fans (Antec TriCools) and in order to keep the system temps down, I have to run them on the medium setting which is still quite loud.

Any recommendations on 80mm fans that can move some decent air while still being quiet? I would prefer fans that do not have any LEDs as this is an HTPC case and could be distracting. Thanks!

Since I have been having such a hard time getting MBM5 to work, I think I may have to give up on it.

I currently have two programs that will monitor temperatures and they are the included EasyTune6 that came with my Gigabyte motherboard and the software made by CPUID called Hardware Monitor.

Currently they read totally different numbers for temperatures.

EasyTune6 reads my load temps at around 56*C and it only displays one temperature for the CPU temp. Harware Monitor reads my temperature as being around 43*C and it displays three temperatures (for 3 core processor). EasyTune6 also displays the system temperature at around 45*C while Hardware Monitor displays it as being one of three values measuring 45*C, 56*C, and 52*C. Now, which of these two programs do I trust to be the correct temperatures? I've been leaning towards trusting the Gigabyte software seeing as it was designed for their motherboards but I'm not sure. Also, I don't think Hardware Monitor can be right because it is reading system temp as higher than CPU temp...