Need Help O'Clocking Memory

NJSATMAN

I have my FSB bumped up to 210 from 200 and multiplier set from 16 to 16.50. My AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz is now running at 3.48ghz very steady. Haven't touched the vcore and hope not to.

I would now like to slightly overclock the memory. A year ago this was all pretty top end gear which I got so I wouldn't have to overclock but I got the bug and it seems so easy. The above bit of overclocking has been done thru the BIOS. Specs on my computer are below. Thanks.

Win7 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz running at 3.48ghz

8 gig Corsair RAM

60gig SSD

500gig WD Slave

1 TB Hitachi External Slave

650 watt Antec Earthwatts PSU

You can bump up your FSB and bring down your multi if you want to oc the mem and not oc the cpu anymore

:withstupid:

But honestly I would over clock your 955 all the way since that will impact performance more than memory which is a small few percent when you're all done with the cpu

But does he have a cooler that can handle it?

One of the strengths of my rig is the case. Comes stock with 6 80mm fans and one 120mm rooftop exhaust fan. I have installed a temp/fan sensor takes up 5.25 slot up front on top. Alarms me if temps get too high. Right now I am watching a tv show on my DivX player and my CPU is running at 45 degrees celcius. I also got a lot cooler here in the Northeastern US.

What I did was bump my multiplier from 16.5x to 17x (still with my FSB at 210) and now I am running at 3.57ghz. I touched up very slightly my vcore to 1.9 just for some added stability.

My rig was rocking pretty fast stock but now she is flying......noticeably!!

I forgot to add I'm rocking an ATI Radeon 4890 HD dual DVI output w/1gig RAM video card and the tv show I am watching is on my 42" plasma.

One of the strengths of my rig is the case. Comes stock with 6 80mm fans and one 120mm rooftop exhaust fan. I have installed a temp/fan sensor takes up 5.25 slot up front on top. Alarms me if temps get too high. Right now I am watching a tv show on my DivX player and my CPU is running at 45 degrees celcius. I also got a lot cooler here in the Northeastern US.

What I did was bump my multiplier from 16.5x to 17x (still with my FSB at 210) and now I am running at 3.57ghz. I touched up very slightly my vcore to 1.9 just for some added stability.

I forgot to add I'm rocking an ATI Radeon 4890 HD dual DVI output w/1gig RAM video card and the tv show I am watching is on my 42" plasma.

I'm sorry I'm new to this too but isn't 1.9 a little high for a phenom II?

Do you mean 1.39 or 1.49? If at 1.9 you may want to back that down to within specification before you're short one CPU. Even if temperatures are manageable at that vcore the voltages can do the damage without the heat.

Edited by engstudent

I'm sorry I'm new to this too but isn't 1.9 a little high for a phenom II?

Do you mean 1.39 or 1.49? If at 1.9 you may want to back that down to within specification before you're short one CPU. Even if temperatures are manageable at that vcore the voltages can do the damage without the heat.

:withstupid:

I'm thinking/hoping that's a typo too or I'm running over there and changing it myself (finally another NJ user)

Good case airflow doesnt mean its a super good idea to oc with the stock cooler and 1.9v is way too much like everyone has said.

Run prime95 for a couple hours and let us know what temps you are getting while running it.

And does this temp sensor monitor the cpu or just the ambient? and what program are you using to check temps?

Edited by GodlyManDude540

My mistake. I think it was my memory's voltage I took up from 1.8 to 1.9 but have since backed it down to 1.8.

Core voltage running steady at 1.35.

I must say my system is actually running more stable overclocked then it ever did stock. Up from 3.2 to a 3.57 rockin' two HD monitors, watching HD on my 42" plasma right now and surfing the net on my 24" HD monitor while my bit torrent is sucking up another HD tv show.......and it's like my system doesn't even blink or go above 50 degrees celcius.

Edited by NJSATMAN

My mistake. I think it was my memory's voltage I took up from 1.8 to 1.9 but have since backed it down to 1.8.

Core voltage running steady at 1.35.

I must say my system is actually running more stable overclocked then it ever did stock. Up from 3.2 to a 3.57 rockin' two HD monitors, watching HD on my 42" plasma right now and surfing the net on my 24" HD monitor while my bit torrent is sucking up another HD tv show.......and it's like my system doesn't even blink or go above 50 degrees celcius.

you know you wanna go higher... :teehee: