overclocking Phenom II 965 x4

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I hope you did not hurt it. and yes dr death as I stated "every chip is unique". one thing about the phenom that I found is its not near as temperature resistant as its intel counterpart. at 62c you are damaging the chip most phenoms I have heard of tend to like it below 50. 65c likely hurt it pretty bad. get a better cooling solution and then lets see what this chip can do.

well I hope you did not hurt it. and yes dr death as I stated "every chip is unique". one thing about the phenom that I found is its not near as temperature resistant as its intel counterpart. at 62c you are damaging the chip most phenoms I have heard of tend to like it below 50. 65c likely hurt it pretty bad. get a better cooling solution and then lets see what this chip can do.

i dont think i hurt it climbed fast, as i was watching it very carefull and in the process of shutting down prime 95 it hit that temp and went down just as fast as it went up and it was only above 60 for just a few seconds

• 2 weeks later...

62 does not damage the chip. He is not running that temp 24/7. Even 65 will not damage with stress tests. f he stresses it multiple times for very long periods, the chip may degredate a bit but I would not worry at this point. The OP needs better cooling at this point.

i shut down as soon as it hit those high temps, also i have been stress testing for a few hours temps look good at 4.0 ghz at stable temps about 48-49, with fans full blast all cores loaded. Im thinking maybe i could squeeze out some more ghz?

It's up to you, are the fans unbearably loud??

It's up to you, are the fans unbearably loud??

actually no they suprised me the cooler has two 120 mm coolermaster fans on it and when i bought the fans and cooler i got a fan controller becuase i thought they were going to be loud ever since i did the upgrade all the fans have been full blast it doesnt bother me, but the video card has a smaller more annoying fan i use msi afterburner to keep it cool and quiet.

try dropping the multi to 14 and increas your bus to 286 bummp vcore to 1.425 of coarse depending on your ram you may need to play with setting try dropping the multi below or rated speed don't go over it, you can also set cpunb v to 1.2

actually no they suprised me the cooler has two 120 mm coolermaster fans on it and when i bought the fans and cooler i got a fan controller becuase i thought they were going to be loud ever since i did the upgrade all the fans have been full blast it doesnt bother me, but the video card has a smaller more annoying fan i use msi afterburner to keep it cool and quiet.

then push higher! If it was unbearable I was gonna say just crank the fan speed down until it was less annoying

Here is a link to my CPU-Z validator if it can help you. Many have warned you about heat but in my experience anything below 70c is fine. Mine ran 24/7 at 68-70c and the person I sold it to still does the same and the chip hasn't missed a beat, The trick with heat is if you're going to run heat intensive overclocks let them run 24/7. It's the heating up and cooling down from starting and shutting down that really hurts the CPUs in the long run. JMHO.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=897572