Creative X-Failure Titanium

Jump4h

[rant]

I recently installed a dedicated physics card into my system. I had to move my Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro sound card into another pci-e slot. Installed the PhysX drivers and physx worked like a charm.

But wait, why do I not have any sound? I start up creative sound control panel and I get "cslaunch.exe has been removed or moved to another location". I try every creative application. Every single one of them have been deleted. The creative folder is about 20mb in size.

Big Deal, I say, and decide to reinstall the drivers. uninstall, safe mode w/ driver sweeper and install. I download the 40 mb driver from the creative support website from EUROPE - I get 18 kb/sec. Half an hour later, I install the driver + application combo. Voila, the sound works.

But wait, why do I not get any sound from my rear speakers? It must be because I haven't enabled 5.1 sound in control panel. I go to the creative folder; I only see one program: Creative WebUpdate. I start the program.

"Do you want to update now or later?" "-Now." For 30 seconds, the whole program simply shows a creative background, no text. I then get a "ActiveX failed to load". Hence, I get no compability from games, since it needs creative alchemy, nor 5.1 sound.

I try to install the drivers from the CD. Wow, this is impressive. I get to choose in the setup if I want 2.1 or 5.1 sound. I get informed that I can change the setting in the creative sound control panel. I reboot.

I get no windows login sound. I startup creative control panel, it informs me, in bad english: No creative devices has been detect on your system. You must close this application. Press OK to close the application. The other option is Cancel.

At this point I want to punch my monitor and throw the computer out of the window. I uninstall, reinstall, install, reboot a minimum of 5 times. I google for a solution. It tells me I should download the creative applications seperately.

I download again from the website, 18 kb/sec this time. I try to install the software, and in the middle of the install I get "Please insert disk1 which contains the file layout.bin."

I .ING DOWNLOADED THE SOFTWARE

I google for a solution for this; one is offered but it does not work.

I reinstall and install. Finally, I find another solution: Change the card slot. I am left with no option; I place the card in the original slot and the 9800GT physx card one millimetre from my 5970. Excellent heat provider.

I install. It fails. I install again. It fails. I also notice that the modded "enable gpu acceleration" in my nvidia control panel has been lost due to the change of slot.

I do a Last resort: Removal of all drivers available to remove in driver sweeper: Ati, nvidia, logitech, creative to name a few. After uninstalling everything. I try to install the creative drivers, Still get no 5.1. sound. I look in the device manager, and simply press "update driver software" on the creative card. NOTE: I had done this before, this was not the solution.

I reboot, and every creative software works, 5.1. works, all games works. After another 30 minutes I install modded PhysX drivers, another hour the rest of the drivers are installed. Happy ending :rolleyes:

The moral of the story is: I PITY THE FOOL WHO BUYS CREATIVE AUDIO CARDS

I even remember someone telling me in the occ forums to buy the asus card and not the creative. :dunno::mfp::doh:

[end rant]

Edited by Jump4h

I just bought this same card the other day and installed it on Monday. I had no issues whatsoever....

Maybe your issue was user error :haha: j/k

Creative has been a pita for a long time but I have found some of their stuff was a lot better.

That is exactly why I don't even bother with Creative products. :lol:

At least it all works now though it was one massive headache. Soon as Creative gets their act together in relation to the drivers, I may recommend them again. In the meantime, it'll be ASUS, Auzentech, and HT | Omega. So yeah, it may have been me recommending you to buy ASUS. :P

I used to have an Audigy 4 sound card, but it worked like . in Windows 7, so I gave it to a buddy of mine who was running XP, he installed Windows 7 on his computer and his sound stopped working. :pfp: All I have to say is congrats Creative on making sound cards that weren't very future proof. :doh:

Hmm I've had a couple issues with my X-Fi Ti but none with the creative software just some install issues with the PAX modded drivers. I don't even have those problems anymore I talked to the developer and since it now works with my particular card I think he just added my device id to the installer. As far as creative as a whole they still produce subpar cards at best... sure the chip is great but the don't even use audio grade caps on the cards. Auzentech makes great cards using the X-Fi though I think I've heard of some problems with these but I'm not sure.

I have three Soundblaster Cards installed a Audigy Gamer, Audigy 2 ZS and a Soundblaster X-FI.

I have had a couple of issues with the slots that they are placed in (just move the card over one) and the drivers not getting installed completely

but it has been only a minor nuisance over the years.

My first Ibm clone, a 386-16 SX I bought a Soundblaster card with it because I was used to having sound with games on my Commodore 64 :teehee:

I guess I'm lucky. I've had many Creative cards through the years, 5.1 Sound Blaster, Audigy, Audigy2 ZS and now the Xfi Titanium. From the hardware side of the fence they have all been pretty solid. My only major complaint with the creative installation packages is the amount of un-needed crap they put on your machine, but I haven't had any of the problems most other folks seem to have. Again, I guess I'm lucky.

OS's involved;

Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home, Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Vista Home 32-bit, Windows 7 Ultimate and Pro 64-bit.

It always freaks me out when I see people having issues with Creative cards. My Audigy2 ZS (which I still have) and my Xfi Titanium are awesome cards.......

I suppose I do have one complaint.... Its really annoying with slot placement on some boards. On my DFI board the only way I can set up with out overheating both video cards in my crossfire is place the X-Fi right under the fan of the one of the cards while the other has a perfectly open space. This isn't really creatives fault more the mobo manufactures that don't pay attention to slot placement for pcie 1x slots and put them directly under 16x slots. Another thing is that it forces my cards to 16x, 8x...... if only I could use the 1x slot.