PC Just stuck at POST

Avinexis

Hey guys, I just rebooted my PC from an installation/uninstallation of Hypercam, and it decided to gift me an unresponsive POST screen... Should I be worried about that?

no...I got a PC that does that time to time and it has a cable that just isnt happy....

Wrong answer. It wont boot up at all now. I've looked it up and it keeps saying to reset the BIOS/clear the CMOS but I don't have the faintest idea on how to do that.

The weird thing is that, yet again, this followed a duff installation (Tried installing That Scourge demo on Steam and cancelled the direct x installation, then the installation completely stopped and the red light that flashes on the front of the PC stayed red rather than flicker like it usually does when the magic happens (Honestly, what IS that light for?)

Anyway, help :S

there's a battery on the motherboard. Take that out for 30mins (some say a couple hours, but that just seems ridiculous). Pop it back in and see if it boots

Or just take the battery out and power on the PC. Then put the battery back in and power it back on, and that should do it.

I took a similar route and messed around with the clr_cmos jumper. I couldn't figure out how to pop the battery out. I put the jumper back in its happy place and booted up, got to POST successfully and it said "CMOS Checksum Error - Set to Default Values" or something similar. Pressed F1 to continue and I'm now typing on this very computer :thumbsup: A job well done thus far.

So now it just remains to be seen whether it was because it sat idle for half an hour or whether clearing the CMOS actually worked :D

So here's a picture of the motherboard, with the battery next to the PCI-Ex1 slot. How on earth do I remove it for future reference? :D

Or just take the battery out and power on the PC. Then put the battery back in and power it back on, and that should do it.

Not sure what this means. On your mobo may be a jumper with label of CMOS (may need to look at manual). Move the jumper to "other" two pins for some seconds and then move back.

If jumper does not work or no jumper exists (or you can't find the jumper) use the CMOS battery removal method. Be sure to have the computer unplugged before touching anything inside. After unplugging, some people push the ON switch to drain residual power before removing the battery.

It could still be a cable or some other problem.

Edited by Syngensmyth

Ha, you beat me to the post. There should be a little clip on the side of the battery case. When the clip is pushed to the side the battery should pop up slightly on one side. But this can be a session and sometimes the battery just sits there and you need to (while pushing the clip) slip a thin wire or blade down the side and pry the battery up.

both of method, (Clear CMOS jumper or popping out the battery) work same way (to clear and reset CMOS to factory settings), so if you have the clr cmos jumper there is no need to pop out the battery. CMOS battery serve to save all your cmos settings when computer is off. The simplest way to pop out the battery:

- power off your comp and disconnect AC cable

- wait a 20 -30 sec to be shore there is no static electricity,

- lift a little, (with small screwdriver), one side of the battery and it will pop out....

- wait approx. 10-15 min (not necessary 30 min), and put back the battery, ac cable and power on

The Message: "CMOS Checksum set to default... Press F1 to continue" (or something similar) will appear after first boot, (don't worry it's normal), press and wait to enter into the Windows, reboot your comp, during the POST enter the BIOS and configure all your settings again (date, time and everything else)

Hope i help.

regards,

Smiki

Well, it happened again. It followed an install of Cryostasis, which told me I need to reinstall before I can use it. POST got stuck, so this time I turned the machine off and left it for about 15 minutes, turned it back on and it worked again.

I'm completely stumped. Might it be my harddrive failing? I've reseated and reconnected every wire :unsure:

This, again, follows the trend of it only occuring after an installation...

Edited by Danrik

Well, it happened again. It followed an install of Cryostasis, which told me I need to reinstall before I can use it. POST got stuck, so this time I turned the machine off and left it for about 15 minutes, turned it back on and it worked again.

I'm completely stumped. Might it be my harddrive failing? I've reseated and reconnected every wire :unsure:

This, again, follows the trend of it only occuring after an installation...

I was tempted to reply at your first post but then you seemed to get the issue resolved. Now that you are having trouble again,, my suggestion would be to look at your RAM. Time and time again i have mirrored your computer symptons only to get them resolved with fresh ram. Im not saying here thats what the problem is,, just that you might look in that direction. Good Luck.