amd 6core thuban kick intel i7 980x in the butt..

basically i intend this thread as a continuation to my other thread that has been locked (amd six-core thuban vs i7 980X). i've never thought that thread got so many replies..

so,a three hundred dollars amd 6core proc perform in par (better than intel in some application though) with intel 1000 dollars i7 980x.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/turbo-boost-turbo-core-six-core,2690-8.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/turbo-boost-turbo-core-six-core,2690-7.html

i dont know how i'm gonna explain how happy i'am.. amd beat intel with 45nm technology...older technology (than intel 980x---32nm),significantly cheaper, outstanding performance, in par with 1000 dollars intel i7980x. wow, look like amd has found its way to the top...i am now curious what can amd do with its 32/28 nm technolgy in the future ( when buldozzer come out)..

i'm now laughing like a maniac....hahahahahahahahahhahahah :lol: :lol:

nevertheless, when comes to power efficiency, intel still hold the crown... its just like nVidia fermi gtx 480 beat ati 5870 in term of performance, but ati hold the crown for power efficiency.

any comments though?

The Phenom II X6 will very rarely beat the Core i7 980X.

Why?

Gulftown is based of Nehalem, which is a stronger architecture than AMD's K10.5. As you know, a Core i7 920 vs a Phenom II X4 at the same clocks, will beat the Phenom II, except in SOME applications. The same will happen here. But at a lesser amount. The reason is that Thuban is just an extra two cores and ONLY two cores. While Gulftown in the addition to two cores, also has an extra 4MB L3 Cache, to keep the 2MB L3 per core ratio going. Thuban is by no means weak, but it doesn't stand much of a chance against Gulftown.

Thuban is by no means weak, but it doesn't stand much of a chance against Gulftown.

Agreed. In anything that matters (AKA not gaming) the i7 pretty much rapes anything in the AMD lineup. The only place AMD has an advantage is platform price.

nonetheless, amd beat intel in term of price per performance ratio, it always like that. if we look at the difference of price, and older tech (45nm) it should be by no means that amd 6core thuban perform in par with the i7 980X. may be amd is not on the top yet, but they are now at the right path to it.. amd successfully prove that you dont have to waste your money to get a powerful processor.

nonetheless, amd beat intel in term of price per performance ratio, it always like that. if we look at the difference of price, and older tech (45nm) it should be by no means that amd 6core thuban perform in par with the i7 980X. may be amd is not on the top yet, but they are now at the right path to it.. amd successfully prove that you dont have to waste your money to get a powerful processor.

Only for gaming. A high-clocked dual core is all you really need to play nearly every game in existence without any bottleneck. Three cores are slightly better; four cores is completely overkill for gaming. 6+ cores is just for bragging rights if all you're doing is playing games. :lol:

For real applications the i3/i5/i7 line dominates even at comparable price points. For gaming you can pretty much use any CPU from the past few years and run nearly as fast as the fastest CPU you can buy. :biggrin:

Only for gaming. A high-clocked dual core is all you really need to play nearly every game in existence without any bottleneck. Three cores are slightly better; four cores is completely overkill for gaming. 6+ cores is just for bragging rights if all you're doing is playing games. :lol:

For gaming you can pretty much use any CPU from the past few years and run nearly as fast as the fastest CPU you can buy. :biggrin:

+1 Its the reason why I stuck with my overclocked C2D E8500. A new Mobo/RAM/CPU wasn't going to improve my gaming and would have been a waste of money. Instead I put bucks into cooling, mouse, Keyboard and monitor to improve my gaming experience.

+1 Its the reason why I stuck with my overclocked C2D E8500. A new Mobo/RAM/CPU wasn't going to improve my gaming and would have been a waste of money. Instead I put bucks into cooling, mouse, Keyboard and monitor to improve my gaming experience.

Great move. :)

basically i intend this thread as a continuation to my other thread that has been locked (amd six-core thuban vs i7 980X). i've never thought that thread got so many replies..

so,a three hundred dollars amd 6core proc perform in par (better than intel in some application though) with intel 1000 dollars i7 980x.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/turbo-boost-turbo-core-six-core,2690-8.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/turbo-boost-turbo-core-six-core,2690-7.html

i dont know how i'm gonna explain how happy i'am.. amd beat intel with 45nm technology...older technology (than intel 980x---32nm),significantly cheaper, outstanding performance, in par with 1000 dollars intel i7980x. wow, look like amd has found its way to the top...i am now curious what can amd do with its 32/28 nm technolgy in the future ( when buldozzer come out)..

i'm now laughing like a maniac....hahahahahahahahahhahahah :lol: :lol:

nevertheless, when comes to power efficiency, intel still hold the crown... its just like nVidia fermi gtx 480 beat ati 5870 in term of performance, but ati hold the crown for power efficiency.

any comments though?

um intel has a 6 core chip priced at $899

intel i7 970 6core,12HT mode

Really you have to look at what program you are looking at. Lets take a look at Cinebench or POVray that make use of multiple cores. Look at how the AMD 6 core fares against even the 4 core 920 in these benchs. game, set , match a 199 dollar I7 920 clocked 7 to 800Mhz slower beats it!

A better video card is also a step in the right direction!

Really you have to look at what program you are looking at. Lets take a look at Cinebench or POVray that make use of multiple cores. Look at how the AMD 6 core fares against even the 4 core 920 in these benchs.

It's all relative to what program/bench is used. Move to CineBench 11.5 and the i7 come in a poor second to the Thuban. If the program is optimized to make use of virtual cores the i7 usually wins. If the optimization is for physical cores the advantage shifts to the Thuban.

It's all relative to what program/bench is used. Move to CineBench 11.5 and the i7 come in a poor second to the Thuban. If the program is optimized to make use of virtual cores the i7 usually wins. If the optimization is for physical cores the advantage shifts to the Thuban.

Huh? Quad core i5s and i7s score roughly equally with Thuban in 11.5 from all the scores I've seen. The 6 core i7s pull ahead by quite a bit.

http://www.tomshardw...o-core-six-core,2690-8.html

http://www.tomshardw...o-core-six-core,2690-7.html

i'm now laughing like a maniac....hahahahahahahahahhahahah lol2.giflol2.gif

any comments though?

LOL... You need to do some research. My i7 930 pwns ur 6 core in every app you use............... I am laughing harder! The 5980 pwns the 480.. I laugh more.

Edited by Drdeath