Trader Seeking Build Advice

Lunatic Fringe

Hi Y'all,

So I'm pretty new to building my own computer and have been reading the forum in depth trying to get myself educated. I'm impressed by the level of knowledge here on this board and was hoping to get some advice.

First off, I am not a gamer at all (gasp!). I am a stock trader who needs a reliable system to trade the market and also to convert NZB downloads to the MP4 format (please don't hate but it's for an Apple-TV unit). So with that said, what I'm trying to put together is a reliable, fast system that kicks butt rendering video. I don't want to mess around with overclocking but I am interested in the latest and greatest stuff (but only if it fills a deficiency that last year's stuff can't handle). I like bling but not to the point of being ostentatious. Basically I want a quality product that a newb like me can manage and won't be outdated next year. I like the idea of Intel's Turbo Boost, it seems like a great product for me.

So, knowing all this, can any of you give me ideas on mobo's, CPU's, video card (dual monitor capability), and RAM that will fit the bill? My current case is a Cooler Master 922 and I have a CoolIT ECO on the way. My budget for these items could run up to $750 although I'm known for exceeding budgets for a good reason.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

The program you use to encode video, is it CPU based or GPU based? Whats it called?

-Edit-

I'm not a video encoding kind of guy, but I'm guessing that the encoding you do is a CPU task, not a graphics card task, especially since all the reviews of CPUs usually include some kind of video rendering benchmark. Doesnt make sense to me, but whatever. It would seem that the best CPUs for that are ones that have as many physical cores as possible. That makes the latest 6-core AMD CPU's a good choice for you, since they fit both your processing power needs and budget. So with that being said-

$296 - AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

$185 - Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5

$ 68 - Kingston HyperX 2GB DDR3-1600

$180 - PNY GTX 260 Core 216

--------

$730 before shipping

The video card is a wild card TBH, I chose that because I dont know much about the ATI lineup, but the newest Nvidia graphics drivers enable the Eyefinity-like multi monitor functionality on 2xx series cards, and the 260 216 is a pretty well respected card. People below me I'm sure will suggest otherwise though :D Listen to them

Many thanks for the response. A quick question though; my old HP m8330f seems to be much more thirsty for RAM than newer processors, it ran tons better after upgrading to 6 gigs of RAM. Do newer processors not need as much RAM? Are 2 gigs sufficient?

I'd recommend these parts for you (as I have similar parts and I do a lot of video encoding myself for work)

Oh and video rendering/editing is CPU power not GPU.

Intel i7 920- http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-2-66GHz-LGA1366-BX80601920/dp/B001H5T7LK- 259.99

Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131371 (250 for evga or 209 for ASUS)

Video Card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130555 (249.99) (can be bumped down just trying to future proof your system with a fermi card)

Ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224 (229.99)

I suggested 6 gigs of ram because for video editing your going to need it. The i7 920 gives you the greatest bang for your buck! If you ever change your mind and decide to overclock you can squeeze a lot of extra performance out of it.

The mobo's are high performance and highly recommended by me and other buyers!

And I suggested a evga graphics card because I swear by them. But feel free to shop around at ASUS or etc.

Hope this helps!

PS. I know this is a little over the 750 you were looking for but you wanted something future proofed... and I don't think your 750 budget can handle that right now.

Cheers!

I'd go with an older 200 series graphics card from NVIDIA, just because they should be cheaper but still somewhat future proof. No need to get a fermi if you aren't going to game. You could always buy a gts 250 from me for $100. :biggrin: Or get a GTX 260. I have a 275 and haven't had any issues with it, and especially since you aren't gaming... :thumbsup:

Oh and video rendering/editing is CPU power not GPU.

In that case, every benchmark I've seen has the 6 core AMD 1090T beating out the 920 handily in non-OC setups.

2GB is only sufficient in some scenarios, but mostly not... I would recommend 4 to 6GB of the stuff, simply because you want to avoid having to use your page file too frequently. Thats what will slow you down a lottttttttttttttt. If you have a 64 bit operating system, I would say 4GB minimum, but aim higher... for a 32 bit OS then I'd definitely max out at 4GB.

cpu:1055T

motherboard:870A-G54

RAM:8GB

GFX:5770

totaling at $675

you really don't need all that fast of a computer, but this should hold you for a while let's say 4-5 year. I really didn't think you need anything faster than a 5770 since you don't game and it has eyefinity support

After looking into the eyefinity aspect I think I really like it. But my method of trading is actually quite relaxed, multiple screens is more of a luxury than a necessity. I think I've narrowed my chip choices to either the 1090T or the i7-860 with the Intel slightly favored.