Contenue hosting OCC IRC?

Contenue IRC?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Contenue to pay for OCC IRC hosting?

• Yes
    • No
    • Idle in there & I will join
    • Other, Please post opinion

The bill for hosting the OCC internet relay chat server has come in again. The room has been inactive for some time. The hosting fee is only 8$ a quarter, which I pay out of pocket, but still. Vote yes if I should keep it around or no if I should not/I will never use it. If you have no opinion say nothing.

Thanks!,

Your friendly neighborhood #OCC IRCOP.

I've been thinking, Steam has a built-in chat room feature I think we could possibly use that?

Obviously it doesn't have the advanced features but it is free and it won't cost you any money...

Part of the problem is that it's not officially advertised on OCC and I haven't known what the ip for the server is for some months now, so I couldn't connect. I suspect that's been a problem for other people, too.

I would say yes, but, only if you can 1) guarantee a consistent address to connect to and 2) ask Dave to have it mentioned officially on the site; like a button/page for it under 'Community' on the homepage and a button for it on the nav. bar on the forum.

Andrew's idea to use the Steam room is good in that it's free, however, not everybody has Steam and those that do don't always have it running. An IRC room is much more accessible, I would say, since there are various clients that don't need to be installed and others that are web-based.

This may only be me, but I also think that it wouldn't function quite the same. Whenever I'm chatting with someone on Steam, the discussion usually ends up gravitating toward 'Wanna play a round or two of X?' It's the association of Steam with games, whereas IRC is more relaxed; you go into an IRC room to chill and chat with whoever else is in there.

Above all else, if it won't be used, then maybe it's best to let it rest.

rather than pay for a chat service there are free versions available....several forums have Java applets add-ons for forums...before you eat more cost we should look into that Idea...or even Flash chat..

As Andrew stated the steam thing is a decent idea...

there is no reason to pay for something that people wont use unless you constantly bug them its there....everytime it goes to no activity it takes a few attempts then its half used for a bit only to go by the way side again...

I had the same issue with Ventrilo that I paid for for a few forums...I just let them go in December do to non-use...

I've never used IRC before but I intend to get around to it eventually.

+1 to more advertising for it, a button on the front page would be good too.

Could also try voice chat with Xfire or Teamspeak

Also is there a spelling mistake in the title, shouldn't "contenue" be spelled "continue"

I have no issues with adding a chat button in the forums and the home that is not an issue, you just have to ask or remind me. :)

I think if we did that though, we should bring up a real, official IRC server... irc.overclockersclub.com or something like that, or at least move it to real network with other channels (which also serves as free advertising ;)). Just my $0.02.

Of course, I haven't been in the IRC channel in years and no plans to do so.

I think if we did that though, we should bring up a real, official IRC server... irc.overclockersclub.com or something like that, or at least move it to real network with other channels (which also serves as free advertising ;)). Just my $0.02.

Of course, I haven't been in the IRC channel in years and no plans to do so.

^ This. Either that or move to a real net just don't pick shat4all again. Even ETG was better than that.

Edit: Would be nice if people were on I seem to be the only one in the room.