Is this temp difference normal?

As the topic suggest.. is this normal to have a 6 degree C difference between cores? Perhaps I may have not applied the thermal paste properly and should reapply or would this differecne in temp just normal? thanks in advance for replies

temp.jpg

As the topic suggest.. is this normal to have a 6 degree C difference between cores? Perhaps I may have not applied the thermal paste properly and should reapply or would this differecne in temp just normal? thanks in advance for replies

temp.jpg

i'm nearly positive you're ok, this is normal...mine fluctuate like that all the time. your cpu hyperthreading is causing one or more cores to do more work than the others part of the time is all...nothing to fret about....

which cpu is that ? ...because if you have turboboost that can account for some fluctuation between cores too...seems like all the cpu's i've had have one core that does more than the others...no big deal

thanks guys, just thought i'd ask, because its just a constant 6 degrees C difference... at any given time... left the computer on overnight last week (in winter), i think house temp got down to easily 10-15 degrees C i guess... and the core temp between those 2 was 22 and 28, btw cpu is i7-930

Same thing happens with my Phenom 9950+ so I think its pretty common. The workload can't be evenly distributed so that temperature difference is just one core doing more then the others are.

Yeah my Q9450's 4th core always reports much lower than the others. I've just come to accept it :biggrin:

This is exactly correct. Actually on the i7's you will commonly see lower temps on the 2nd and 4th cores. I wouldn't be concerned with this difference at all, unless you are overclocking and the difference in your core temps go into the mid-high 80's or above!

i'd like to overclock it but i don't quiet have the experience nor knowledge to do so properly. I can only go a mild overclock/or the preset stuff via the Gigabyte Smart 6/Easy Tune 6 software as I have only got a Noctua U9B SE2 and thats not gonna cut some hardcore overclocking + the fact i got limited space in my case (Thermaltake V9) which also limits my choice of cooler other than going for liquid cooling, but i'm happy enough with it at this stage