Unusually high CPU temperatures

I've had my PC for about 5 months now. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE on an Asus EVO Motherboard. Last week I downloaded the AMD OverDrive utility to see if a few hundred more MHz would be noticeable for my everyday usage, which it really wasn't. I decided to restore it back to default settings and I've been noticing the CPU fan has been running pretty loud the last few days. I just loaded up the AMD OD utility to see what my temperatures were and theyre hovering around 53 degrees. When I first built this they were around 32 degrees. What's going on? I don't want to fry my CPU, don't really have the extra cash to buy a new one right now.

TLDR: Why is my CPU randomly running 21 degrees hotter under 0-3% load?

[Edit->] Oh and I'm running the factory heatsink and a ThermalTake V9 Black Edition case.

I've had my PC for about 5 months now. It's an AMD Phenom II X4 955BE on an Asus EVO Motherboard. Last week I downloaded the AMD OverDrive utility to see if a few hundred more MHz would be noticeable for my everyday usage, which it really wasn't. I decided to restore it back to default settings and I've been noticing the CPU fan has been running pretty loud the last few days. I just loaded up the AMD OD utility to see what my temperatures were and theyre hovering around 53 degrees. When I first built this they were around 32 degrees. What's going on? I don't want to fry my CPU, don't really have the extra cash to buy a new one right now.

TLDR: Why is my CPU randomly running 21 degrees hotter under 0-3% load?

[Edit->] Oh and I'm running the factory heatsink and a ThermalTake V9 Black Edition case.

Factory heatsink coupled with higher temperatures (from the few hundred extra MHz overclock) wears out the thermal compound faster than normal. I'd re-apply.

Also try HWMonitor and see what your temps are.

What do I have to change and what do I have to change it to?

166hc84.jpg

I just enabled Cool'n'Quiet and the temperature is at 39 degrees and falling. Should I leave CnQ on? Will I notice performance loss when playing MW2?

What do I have to change and what do I have to change it to?

Just set your BIOS back to default settings. If you changed anything else in the BIOS, then you need to reconfigure them when you go back into your BIOS.

Otherwise, do the opposite of what you do when you overclock.

Set your Vcore down a few increments, reboot, run Prime95 for 5 - 10 minutes. If stable, repeat.

If you crash, set your Vcore back up. If you don't crash in 5-10 minutes, keep it running until a full iteration (15-20 minutes).

I just enabled Cool'n'Quiet and the temperature is at 39 degrees and falling. Should I leave CnQ on? Will I notice performance loss when playing MW2?

Cool'n'Quiet just drops your Vcore and CPU speed when you're not utilizing your CPU (I think). When you play MW2, you won't notice performance loss, but your temps might spike back up.

Factory heatsink coupled with higher temperatures (from the few hundred extra MHz overclock) wears out the thermal compound faster than normal. I'd re-apply.

Also try HWMonitor and see what your temps are.

Last time I ran hardware monitor it caused my Prime95 to fail... I have also heard of it causing problems with stability when oced higher up.

redo you Tim tbris84 And save up for a better heatsink.

Also El Captain 1.3500 Volts is the stock Voltage for most all Phenom II's

Here is a Link to the PHII 955. The factory settings should be in there.

If not im 99% sure about the proper v-core.

Here is Dolks guide. Its for the 940 but I am almost certain they OC with the same ideology.

Edited by boinker