need suggestion for AM3 replacement cpu fan/heatsink 1090t

This is my first computer build in 5 years. Its amazing how much everything has changed since I was last "in the know." I have a lot more disposable income this time around so I am looking to get something a little more future proof.

However, I have NO idea where to turn for a cpu fan/heatsink replacement. I dont have the patience to mess with a liquid cooling setup and since I dont plan on OC too much, I think air cooling should suffice. Can anyone suggest a good CPU heatsink/fan combo. Here is the equip I have picked out so far (comments on that are appreciated as well)

Antec nine hundred two case

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

Asus Crosshair IV Formula AM3

XFX 5850

I am clueless, so any help is great help!

My Xigmatek Dark knight has been great on my X3! not so sure how it would hold up on a X6 though..

i imagine the s1284 or "thor's hammer" would do fine for mild OCs..

the other suggestions would also work well.

And if i may, I have the Antec 900, and it's a pain in the you-know-what to work with.. i absolutely hate the cable management of it.

i suggest you get a CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced instead. right now, it's about $20 cheaper than the 902 on newegg...

Water coolers like the ECO aren't worth the money at all. If u go liquid, get some quality stuff. It pays off. This doesn't.

+1 for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus.

Another suggestion is the Sumbeam Core Contact Freezer. I have it and it's pretty good though you might need something a bit more powerful for your x6 CPU. Noctua has pretty damn good coolers. Check em out too.

Water coolers like the ECO aren't worth the money at all. If u go liquid, get some quality stuff. It pays off. This doesn't.

+1 for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus.

Another suggestion is the Sumbeam Core Contact Freezer. I have it and it's pretty good though you might need something a bit more powerful for your x6 CPU. Noctua has pretty damn good coolers. Check em out too.

+1 for the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer :thumbsup2: and you get a tube of Tuniq TX-2 paste, one of the better TIMs on the market!!! And, this thing is always CHEAP, and hangs with any AM3 cooler on the market, that are all much more expensive! I have this cooling a 965 C3, idles around 27-28C, load in the mid 40's Overclocked to 4.0GHz!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004&cm_re=sunbeam_core_contact_freezer-_-35-207-004-_-Product

Don't hold your breath on the rebate, but still only $40 shipped!!!! Can't go wrong!

-1 though for the ECO or H50, they do perform as well as the high-end coolers, but come with a nice pricetag as well :( But, depending on the case some need this kind of performance, w/o a monster sized cooling tower to go with it. But, both of these coolers even though higher priced(although very similar to most higher rated coolers) do perform well.

However, I am not knocking where your idea for just going full blown WC is coming from, and these 2 options (H50 & Eco) should never be mistaken for a WC setup :)

Edited by SpeedwayNative

-1 though for the ECO or H50, they do perform as well as the high-end coolers, but come with a nice pricetag as well :( But, depending on the case some need this kind of performance, w/o a monster sized cooling tower to go with it. But, both of these coolers even though higher priced(although very similar to most higher rated coolers) do perform well.

I have 2 H-50s and for me they work great even though they are pricier than the air stuff. I like their compact design and IMHO it's worth the extra bux to have a quiet system that doesn't look like a supercharger hanging off the mobo and takes up so much case space. More room for quadfire baby. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Custom water cooling for the win. Get yourself a double thick XSPC Radiator, a few fans, pump, res and Block and you will likely never have a heat issue again.