High Temperatures on Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Ok, from looking at the picture there is indeed something wrong

lets start from the beginning before we RMA the heatsink

on the 212 heatsink

set it on a table or flat surface

is it sitting flush? there should be no holes or gaps when viewed from the side (except around the heatpipes)

flip it over, the heatpipe contact patch is flush with the silver part of the base, correct? it should all be smooth and no gaps except around where the pipes go upward from the side

what you need to do is apply a thin layer of grease on the CPU only

it should cover the whole chip

that is why I like zalman thermal grease, it comes with a little brush and is super easy to put on and fun with no mess

now for a regular brand are you using a pea drop method?

again, we want a small thin layer over the whole chip

if everything looks kosher, let's go ahead and put the heatsink back on and test

remember do not add grease to the heatsink

the metal base of the heatsink must be touching the CPU chip flat and with some preassure

check on the sides make sure there is no gap being caused by bad motherboard mounts or bad 212 mounts

if again the numbers are bad

RMA the 212 and while you are at it pick up the zalman paste, it will make your life easier

oh in case you didnt know, the best way to clean thermal grease is with isopropyl alcohol, something like 91% is good

just for discussion, the stock intel lga1366 heatsink u put on, was it pre-greased, or did u do this one also?

Edited by potatochobit

I really think its a contact problem between your chip and your heatsink.

+1 - it looks as though from the pictures that the outer two heatpipes are not doing much.

Well the reason I said RMA the chip is because he said the top end of the heatpipes are warm/hot.

No - twice he stated that they are NOT warm / hot.

Check both IHS & base of cooler for uniform flatness, & confirm it's mounted firmly.

Hmm... you're right... theres the word "not" both times, I'm a dummy :( Nevermind about RMAing the chip then, but definitely do all the other stuff that the smarter people have said :D

+1 - it looks as though from the pictures that the outer two heatpipes are not doing much.

You are right, I am out of thermal paste now, i will try to get one soon and try to do a better thermal paste application.

Any suggestions on a method to use ?? because thermal paste doesn't spread well with this heatsink.

Edited by hany103

You are right, I am out of thermal paste now, i will try to get one soon and try to do a better thermal paste application.

Any suggestions on a method to use ?? because thermal paste doesn't spread well with this heatsink.

It's not a matter of putting more paste in to fill the gaps; the less paste the better.

I'd place a higher priority on ensuring surface flatness & mounting pressure than the 'application method'.

• 7 months later...

Hi hany103,

I have the exact same

- CPU

- motherboard

- cooler

- and of course problem

Did you find a solution to your problem?

Thanks,

Laci

Hany103 hasnt been online for months so I doubt he'll be able to answer your question

well, Igolyha, did you do a craptastic thermal paste job like the original topic creator?

also the cooler has three settings for the screws, are your screws in the right position?

take pics of the cooler when you take it off and post them

Edited by potatochobit

Hany103 hasnt been online for months so I doubt he'll be able to answer your question

Yes, I've noticed, that hany103 hasnt been here for a while, but I hoped, he receives an email notification when someone replies to his topic. Our problem is so identical...

Yes, I've noticed, that hany103 hasnt been here for a while, but I hoped, he receives an email notification when someone replies to his topic. Our problem is so identical...

Did you do a good job of applying paste ? Did you put too much paste ?

well, Igolyha, did you do a craptastic thermal paste job like the original topic creator?

also the cooler has three settings for the screws, are your screws in the right position?

take pics of the cooler when you take it off and post them

I've tried out a few application method (every time I covered the hole area and used a credit card to ensure flatness):

- thermal paste only on the CPU (as the manual of Cooler Master sad)

- thermal paste on the heatsink, without filling the gaps around the heatpipes

- thermal paste on the heatsink, with filling the gaps around the heatpipes

Other things i've checked:

- protector plastic sticker removed

- mounting holes: for socket 1366

- fans are blowing the same way

- room temperature: 23C

BIOS:

- Turbo Boost: disabled

- power saving functions: all enabled

Hany103 measured 79C, I've "only" got 65C, but I've disabled Turbo Boost (2,6Ghz <> 2,8Ghz) and my room's temperature is much less (23C <-> 30C). I've attached a few pictures.

post-74229-1292672934188_thumb.jpg

post-74229-12926729433851_thumb.jpg

post-74229-12926729527807_thumb.jpg

post-74229-12926729618397_thumb.jpg

post-74229-12926729687809_thumb.jpg

post-74229-12926729789397_thumb.jpg