My Chipset fan has died

So today, I was trying to play a nice exciting game of Battlefield: Bad Company 2, when all of a sudden my computer shuts off after about 5 minutes of play. Huh, that's weird. Well, throughout the day, it kept shutting off again and again, eventually failing to even enter windows. I looked inside. Dust? Wow, lots of dust. The stuff's caked on. I found some compressed air and blew that out of it. Didn't fix a damn thing. I opened it up again and this time noticed that one of the RAM sticks was loose. Clicked it back into place, thought all was good. Nope, still shutting down. Now I'm getting worried, so I look inside and make sure all my fans are working... it didn't SOUND like anything was quieter. All my case fans worked, my CPU fan worked, my Power Supply fan worked, my GPU fan worked, but then I saw that down beneath everything, was my chipset fan. Dead.

Having seen these fans break before, I know that the chipset fan can be all it takes to break a system. It's not too hard to stick a new one in there... the problem is actually getting your hands on the part. My warranty for parts lasted 3 years... which expired last month.

What can I do? There is absolutely no way I can make a new computer to replace this one, we have no money to spare. Is there a way I could get a new part to replace it, and if so, where? This computer is the only one in my house still capable of playing games of any kind, so if this thing's no longer good for that, my sadness will be legendary.

Edited by Vid-szhite

I have literally a whole box of the DFI OEM fans, and a couple of MSI northbridge fans that would fit. If you need one and will pay shipping I'll just send it to you. Consider it my contribution to the OCC Freebie thread :)

But the Evercool VC-RE is about the best and least expensive solution without going to a heatpipe cooler like the Thermalright HR-05 (which is another great solution).

Thank you all so much for the replies. :)

I have literally a whole box of the DFI OEM fans, and a couple of MSI northbridge fans that would fit. If you need one and will pay shipping I'll just send it to you. Consider it my contribution to the OCC Freebie thread :)

That sounds great! Thanks! How much would the shipping cost, though? I live in California, ZIP Code 91011, and the VC-RE qualifies for free shipping, so if the shipping is going to cost somewhere close to 10 dollars, I think I'll get the VC-RE. If it's going to cost less than 5, though, I'll take you up on that offer right away. ^_^

The VC-RE will last you the life time of your board. It really is a nifty little cooler. Finding that little guy back in the DFI NF4 days was like coming across a gold nugget. I guarantee they probably sold tens of thousands to DFI board owners :)

Edited by wevsspot