Should my machine run hot?

Should my machine have so high temprature? I got antec nine hundrend two cabinet, i7 920 processor and a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 cpu cooler and NT-h1 thermal paste.

My CPU temprature is idle at 50 C. When I play games, I am talking about games I can run smooth on my 1,8ghz laptop... the cores go to around 50% load and up to 85 C! Everything lags like hell, normally freezing the picture for like 30 seconds, and of course I am dead in the game I'm playing. Help?!

Only thing I can think of, is I have not that much thermal paste on, think it is to little, but that shound't be the problem when we talk so high temps? :/

The load is like 50% 40% 20% and 10% on the four cores and the temp is allrdy up in the high 70s. And I am just browsing firefox!

Edited by Rankiz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like u havent mounted the cooler right. Read the Instructions and mount it again and put a very thin layer of thermal paste on the processor and ur temp are not normal.the lagging in games are because of the High Temps.

No u have to use a card to spread it and use least amount of paste. the more thinner the more cooler.

Should I or should I not do as the picture shows? (Only now I spread it out with a creditcard)

Should I or should I not do as the picture shows? (Only now I spread it out with a creditcard)

I would always use a card to spread it out! It should be thin though, as in you should almost be able to see the Intel print on the top of the cpu! I also agree that it really sounds like the cooler isn't properly seated on the cpu. A thermal paste problem shouldn't result in this kind of spike in temps. So I would just completely reinstall the cooler and paste and see where your temps are then!

I would always use a card to spread it out! It should be thin though, as in you should almost be able to see the Intel print on the top of the cpu! I also agree that it really sounds like the cooler isn't properly seated on the cpu. A thermal paste problem shouldn't result in this kind of spike in temps. So I would just completely reinstall the cooler and paste and see where your temps are then!

I think I will use a pea sized ball in the middle and just squeeze the heatsink on the cpu and turn the heatsink a little from side to side.

This is the "WORST" method you can use. Do not spread with a card. The small pea method continues to be the best method for spreading tim. Watch this tutoral:

This is the small pea and with the right amount, your spread should look like this. The pressure from heatsink will spread the paste. Put a small pea amount in center of CPU and tighten heatsink.

peamethod.png

eeeeee.png

corei7sd9.jpg

The line method will spread like this and too much will ooze over the side and not totally cover the needed area.

fffff.png

Remember all tims spread differently. Freeze is very thin and liquidy. You only need a small amount wheras IC7 is rather thick and pasty so you need a little more. I would do a test with your thermalpaste and not secure the heatsink. Put what you think is a small pea and put pressure on the heatsink. Take it off and look. If is like the small pea in the drawing I made your good. Clean it off and do the same amount. If it looks like not enough, clean it off and apply a bit more and you will be good to go.

Make sure you clean the heatsink and processor with alchohol and clean it good befor re-applying.... G/L

Edited by Drdeath

Where is the Tuniq TX-2 or TX-3 on that graph? 2 of the best Thermal compounds out there!

Also, with the line and pea size method, they work, however you really never know what amount of the surface is covered until you take the cooler off and see, which means re-applying the paste anyway!

As for the card, or a sandwhich bag to manually apply the paste being the worst method, wow, really? These 2 methods let you know exactly how the tim has been applied and the coverage area you get, so I guess it is your opinion, but far from a fact!

Where is the Tuniq TX-2 or TX-3 on that graph? 2 of the best Thermal compounds out there!

Also, with the line and pea size method, they work, however you really never know what amount of the surface is covered until you take the cooler off and see, which means re-applying the paste anyway!

As for the card, or a sandwhich bag to manually apply the paste being the worst method, wow, really? These 2 methods let you know exactly how the tim has been applied and the coverage area you get, so I guess it is your opinion, but far from a fact!

:withstupid: Do a test, than clean it up and re-apply. This is not an opinion. It is proved to be the best method over and over and over. I am not hear to argue the proven best method(small pea). A sandwich bag... So funny. that is the noob way of applying.

It is a fact jack. If you are so certain, do a test youeself. Get your sandwich bag and put it on. Run a stress test and record temps. Then clean it up, apply the pea and do a test. The last guy that argued the point with me did it and shut up very quickly(he agreed after testing it). Watch the tutoral I posted and you will see you method creates air pockets.....

If you knew about thermalpaste, which you don't..... You do not have to cover the entire chip... Your funny! I will give you that.

Edited by Drdeath

I never knew we lived in a perfect world. Where the processors were 100% flat. To many variables. I've used the credit card method, and yes I did use the plastic bag method.

And would you believe it worked. And no I'm not a noob at this.