Linksys WRT54G v2

IoDd64

So, this past weekend my parents switched from WOW to Comcast. Ever since then, our router has stopped broadcasting the wireless signal. Here are some "symptoms" I've noticed.

• The WLAN light; only half of the circle is flashing, and its very dim. For the most part it doesn't light up at all.
  • My fathers desktop pc is connected to port 1. It is the only pc that has internet access. My desktop upstairs has a USB wireless adapter, doesn't get a signal; neither does my brothers or my fathers laptops.
  • I brought down my desktop and tried to LAN to the router on port 2. No internet access. Can't even ping the router from command prompt, "general failure."
  • I switched my father to port 2 and my pc to port 1. He gets access on port 2, but I still don't get any response on port 1.
  • My fathers pc (the only one that has access) cannot access the routers user interface. It also "times out" when trying to ping the router (192.168.1.1). Yet it has full access. (?!?!?!?)
  • My pc (currently LAN'd) connects to the "unidentified network" and can see my fathers pc (also LAN'd and has internet access). Yet my fathers pc doesn't see my pc on the network.

I asked my cousin who just so happens to be a "senior network analyst." He believes that the router is dying, or "on its way out" as he termed it. My question is, is there any way to get the wireless signal broadcasting back up and running at least till I get a newer router? Is the router dying? Why can't my fathers pc (the only one with an internet connection) access the routers user interface? Why is it, that no matter which port it's on, my fathers pc always has access; yet my pc doesn't?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. My family is tearing itself apart fighting over who gets to use this pc. LOL...

Have you tried a hard reset on the router? Hold the reset button on the back for 10 seconds. I have the WRT54G from 2005 and it flakes out all the time, one to many power surges I think, where it won't let me connect to anything outside the router and I have to reset it.

Have you tried a hard reset on the router? Hold the reset button on the back for 10 seconds. I have the WRT54G from 2005 and it flakes out all the time, one to many power surges I think, where it won't let me connect to anything outside the router and I have to reset it.

also after you reset you can manually reset the router configuration thru your dads hard line computer...open the browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the website window and hit go....this will bring up the router interface; the default username is admin and password is either blank or admin...from there you can change all features of the router....caution: be careful about resetting passwords as forgetting this can mean another reset/reconfigure...

quick edit; you probably need to restart the modem and the router again. i'm sure you know how...

also after you reset you can manually reset the router configuration thru your dads hard line computer...open the browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the website window and hit go....this will bring up the router interface; the default username is admin and password is either blank or admin...from there you can change all features of the router....caution: be careful about resetting passwords as forgetting this can mean another reset/reconfigure...

quick edit; you probably need to restart the modem and the router again. i'm sure you know how...

He said his dad cant access the router config, "My fathers pc (the only one that has access) cannot access the routers user interface."

The linksys website told said to hold the button on the back for 30 seconds (I had a wrt54gs v3) to do a hard reset. If the 10 sec doesnt work, try 30.

If none of this works, then I would venture to say that your cousin is correct in his assumption that the router is failing.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

well just holding it for 30 secs is not a hard reset. for a hard reset on a linksys router you hold for 30 secs then unplug and keep holding for 30 secs then plug it back in and hold for 30 more secs then release. Its like a computers CMOS. its has a little battery inside that will save the info when the power is out so you need to reset it when its unplugged also.

Edited by rmb938

So am i holding the reset button down for a full 90 seconds while unplugging and replugging the power cord back in at the 30 and 60 second marks? or do i hold for 30, let go and unplug, hold for another 30 while unplugged, let go, plug back in and hold for another 30...?