Guild Wars 2

WhenKittensATK

You will be able to transfer item stats, but I'm not sure if transmutation will work for staff to wand example (it may be just 1h to 1h and etc).

The events are based around timers and whether or not people complete them. You can clear out a farm of bandits, but eventually the bandits are going to try again. Each zone has basic dynamic event in certain areas. Sometimes you can trigger special events and do those (these will not always be there). They also said there would be a rotation of DE in the future.

Exploration! Exploration! Exploration! I've never played an mmo that did this. The only thing that comes close are single player rpgs.

Mesmer + 2H sword is always cool to watch.

Edited by AZNguyen

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be able to transfer item stats, but I'm not sure if transmutation will work for staff to wand example (it may be just 1h to 1h and etc).

The events are based around timers and whether or not people complete them. You can clear out a farm of bandits, but eventually the bandits are going to try again. Each zone has basic dynamic event in certain areas. Sometimes you can trigger special events and do those (these will not always be there). They also said there would be a rotation of DE in the future.

Exploration! Exploration! Exploration! I've never played an mmo that did this. The only thing that comes close are single player rpgs.

Like I said, RIFT does it....and MMO, not a single-player RPG...and it does it better, as failure in fighting back invasions leads to towns being overrun, which means quest-givers in the area won't spawn.

Like I said, RIFT does it....and MMO, not a single-player RPG...and it does it better, as failure in fighting back invasions leads to towns being overrun, which means quest-givers in the area won't spawn.

I'm pretty sure that can happens in GW2 as well. I remember an old interview if you never stop the bandits they turn that village into a base and send out more raiding parties to capture other areas.

I'm pretty sure that can happens in GW2 as well. I remember an old interview if you never stop the bandits they turn that village into a base and send out more raiding parties to capture other areas.

Well my point being, Rift did it first, even if you never played it :P

In the beginning, Rift had the same problem as GW2, with them being too frequent. Again, they're optional, so you can readily ignore them if you want, but sometimes they simply get in the way of what you'd rather be doing if they happen to be in your current questing area.

Well my point being, Rift did it first, even if you never played it :P

In the beginning, Rift had the same problem as GW2, with them being too frequent. Again, they're optional, so you can readily ignore them if you want, but sometimes they simply get in the way of what you'd rather be doing if they happen to be in your current questing area.

I wonder if you saw the video and can compare that with what NPCs do in Rift. They aren't telling the world hey follow me after this quest, I'm going to start another event if you do. They just do it and through pure curiosity you discover new events.

These events are basically how you level up, that's why they are so frequent. The only traditional questing is done through story quests. Basic PvE is done out in dynamic events.

Warhammer had Public Quests (which are sort of like Dynamic Events) that was the first game I played that had it. I'm sure other games had some form of it even before that.

Developers on Rift and Warhammer

Global brand director Chris Lye argues the dynamic experience in Guild Wars 2 is unique compared to the likes of RIFT, a game that invites users to expunge demons who enter random points of the world through rift portals.

"I've played both [RIFT and Warhammer Online] and while participating in rifts and public quests, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in constant competition with the other players to make sure I got my share of XP or pushed out enough DPS to make sure I got better rewards than them."

"In one particularly painful incident," he remembers of his days in RIFT, "high-level players came back to the starter areas and started one-shotting the rifts so I didn't even stand a chance. In Guild Wars 2 this just doesn't happen. Dynamic events play out the way you would expect an enemy encounter to play out in a fantasy world - everyone rallies together to help and you don't resent the addition of other players."

Edited by AZNguyen

I wonder if you saw the video and can compare that with what NPCs do in Rift. They aren't telling the world hey follow me after this quest, I'm going to start another event if you do. They just do it and through pure curiosity you discover new events.

These events are basically how you level up, that's why they are so frequent. The only traditional questing is done through story quests. Basic PvE is done out in dynamic events.

Warhammer had Public Quests (which are sort of like Dynamic Events) that was the first game I played that had it. I'm sure other games had some form of it even before that.

Developers on Rift and Warhammer

lol at the developer comments. There's nothing in GW2 that would stop that from happening either, it's simply that they don't have high-level characters in the beta to do that right now. That being said, it really wasn't that rampant in Rift. During the beta it was simply because not all content was available, but once the game went live and high-level characters had better areas, there was actually very little incentive for the high-level players to go back to one-shot low-level rifts. Only during worldwide major invasions would some people do that, but most major invasions took place in multiple zones, so you'd get better experience and items by fighting in the zone closer or above your level.

As for your first statement about the NPCs, you have it all wrong. Rift's dynamic events are exactly like GW2's - they're not triggered by NPCs, they're dynamic and random. Each zone has particular rifts and invasions that can occur with varying probabilities, and except for the very first one you encounter (to get you used to it), they can occur in random spots within zones, unlike GW2, which seem tied to particular areas (eg. a bridge being taken over or a farm being seiged).

And yes, the events are basically how you level up, which is part of the problem. Though they're optional, you're almost forced to participate because they provide better experience than grinding regular mobs or completing most quests.

I already know I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you've clearly displayed GW2 fanboyism. Just trying to point out that you shouldn't be so naive to think that other games haven't done similar things, sometimes better. I'm not bashing GW2, I'm simply providing people with comparisons to other MMOs they may have tried out.

lol at the developer comments. There's nothing in GW2 that would stop that from happening either, it's simply that they don't have high-level characters in the beta to do that right now.

As for your first statement about the NPCs, you have it all wrong. Rift's dynamic events are exactly like GW2's - they're not triggered by NPCs, they're dynamic and random. Each zone has particular rifts and invasions that can occur with varying probabilities, and except for the very first one you encounter (to get you used to it), they can occur in random spots within zones, unlike GW2, which seem tied to particular areas (eg. a bridge being taken over or a farm being seiged).

And yes, the events are basically how you level up, which is part of the problem. Though they're optional, you're almost forced to participate because they provide better experience than grinding regular mobs or completing most quests.

I already know I'm not going to convince you otherwise because you've clearly displayed GW2 fanboyism. Just trying to point out that you shouldn't be so naive to think that other games haven't done similar things, sometimes better. I'm not bashing GW2, I'm simply providing people with comparisons to other MMOs they may have tried out.

GW2 has a level restriction system for zones. If a max level player went to the starter zone he would be de-leveled to recommended level for that zone, level 3. That stops it.

GW2 events are related to the actual area. They aren't just random events plotted around they actually deal with the area. IE. landmarks are key areas for them.

You can level up in GW2 doing purely WvW, you can also get exp for exploring and doing achievements.

Edited by AZNguyen

GW2 events are related to the actual area. They aren't just random events plotted around they actually deal with the area. IE. landmarks are key areas for them.

And that's exactly the main problem with them. The so-called dynamic events are just that - SO-CALLED. Public Events would certainly be a more apt term because they're not dynamic at all.

Sorry in advance for not remembering zone names....but there's this one bridge in the Human area that I know, if I stand on, every few minutes a bandit event would start and two barriers will spawn out of thin air with a few bandits guarding it. It's really no different than normal mob-spawning in every MMO to date, except it's called an event and you get bonus xp, gold and rep. There's absolutely nothing dynamic about it. Nothing random. ArenaNet is calling them dynamic because they can impact the world, but let's be real - the events that are currently in the game have little no impact at all. Oh no, a bull set fire to a farm! Don't worry, just destroy it and put out those fire and everything returns to normal. It's still beta, so maybe there will be more impactful events later on, but judging the game based on its current content, the events are dull and repetitious. It's cool the first time, and then when you encounter it the second time, you realize nothing's different this time around.

And that's exactly the main problem with them. The so-called dynamic events are just that - SO-CALLED. Public Events would certainly be a more apt term because they're not dynamic at all.

Sorry in advance for not remembering zone names....but there's this one bridge in the Human area that I know, if I stand on, every few minutes a bandit event would start and two barriers will spawn out of thin air with a few bandits guarding it. It's really no different than normal mob-spawning in every MMO to date, except it's called an event and you get bonus xp, gold and rep. There's absolutely nothing dynamic about it. Nothing random. ArenaNet is calling them dynamic because they can impact the world, but let's be real - the events that are currently in the game have little no impact at all. Oh no, a bull set fire to a farm! Don't worry, just destroy it and put out those fire and everything returns to normal. It's still beta, so maybe there will be more impactful events later on, but judging the game based on its current content, the events are dull and repetitious. It's cool the first time, and then when you encounter it the second time, you realize nothing's different this time around.

Some areas have static events (the hearts icon, backbone of your leveling experience), which is the first exposure you get as a new player. They are the green font in your quest log. Orange font are the meta events which randomly appear. Then there are events that the player needs to trigger in the world. There are probably other ones, but I don't really read into all the articles. Most of them later on you just randomly discover, while moving from heart icon to heart icon.

When someone destroys a town, they tend to rebuild it no? That's why it returns to the way it was, if you successfully completed the event. If you fail to complete, see what happens afterwards. I'm sure as hell the raiders won't magically vanish while running away like in WoW. Just like in the previous video posted. NPC actually ran back to his building and completed his day to day.

Edited by AZNguyen