Problem with windows 7 64-bit & 6GB of memory

Hello, i've just been tooling around and i keep noticing that after i boot up windows that in system properties it most of the time it only reads 4GB but some of the time it says 6... when using the speccy tool it always says theres 6GB in 3 channel even when windows says 4 ... when i check in bios and when the system POSTs it says there is 6136MB of ram .... does anyone know why this might be happening or have had similar problems ? I thought i saw a similar post but i couldn't find it. Thanks, regards Chunkeylover

Hello, i've just been tooling around and i keep noticing that after i boot up windows that in system properties it most of the time it only reads 4GB but some of the time it says 6... when using the speccy tool it always says theres 6GB in 3 channel even when windows says 4 ... when i check in bios and when the system POSTs it says there is 6136MB of ram .... does anyone know why this might be happening or have had similar problems ? I thought i saw a similar post but i couldn't find it. Thanks, regards Chunkeylover

64 or 32 bit version of windows?

It says 64 bit in the title of his post. :P I have not run into that problem myself, but as long as your computer is running the full 6 gigs of ram i would'nt worry to much. Are you having any crashes at all? Actually come to think of it my computer always says i am not running my OC in the properties menu of my computer. They might patch it at some point but it is a fairly minor inconvenience.

Edited by Hemidare

I,m having a similar problem. I have windows 7 and 4GB of DDR3 installed and windows is showing only 2.99GB available. So I researched a little and I found that I needed to update my BIOS. Which I did (MSI P55 - GD65) from v1.3 to v1.7. And windows is still showing 2.99GB available. I don't Know if it might help you, but It wouldn't hurt to try. Sorry windows 7 64 bit.

Edited by leon0998

I,m having a similar problem. I have windows 7 and 4GB of DDR3 installed and windows is showing only 2.99GB available. So I researched a little and I found that I needed to update my BIOS. Which I did (MSI P55 - GD65) from v1.3 to v1.7. And windows is still showing 2.99GB available. I don't Know if it might help you, but It wouldn't hurt to try.

If you are using 32 bit that would explain it . If you are using 64 bit then I dont know.

Title of the thread states Win 7 64 bit!

Where is it saying 4GB at in windows

ah mr coke ... it is saying in in system properties (right click my computer icon then click properties)

i wwas thinking since the OS controls the hardware .. that wearther or not the board says it's there that the system mouldn't use it if the os cant see it .. that's my concern.

i suppose i should try a bios update afterall it is an old board now i guess but i suppose i was sort of hoping to avoid that

Edited by ChunkeyLover

It says 64 bit in the title of his post. :P I have not run into that problem myself, but as long as your computer is running the full 6 gigs of ram i would'nt worry to much. Are you having any crashes at all? Actually come to think of it my computer always says i am not running my OC in the properties menu of my computer. They might patch it at some point but it is a fairly minor inconvenience.

so far it's being pretty good .. not sure if i seated the heatsink right though .. it's been a little bit hot but ambient temps here are hot si i don't know . i did have one BSOD but i think that was video related as the screen kept flashing once every few minutes ... probably from loading a game inpropperly

PS sorry for the late replies