Problem with windows 7 64-bit & 6GB of memory

There can be numerous causes for this. Improper settings/voltages, a problem with a stick of memory or the memory controller, BIOS issue, improper trace routing on the board, bent pin in the CPU socket or the board warped from improper heatsink or board mounting. During bootup handshaking takes place between the memory controller and each stick of ram so the controller can set the correct parameters. After several attempts if this communication fails the corresponding stick is mapped out of use. Any program that reports the physically installed memory size will report the correct amount of memory. Programs that report the usable memory will show the total amount minus the amount that failed the communication handshake during boot.

Chunky,

What motherboard are you running and what revision BIOS? Please advise. There may be a memory hole mapping option in your BIOS.

Regards,

JW

ps - nice to see you around PRAZ!

Edited by wevsspot

hmm what praz said is interesting ... it no longer posts as 6GB ... now only posts as 4 ... my motherboard is an ASUS P6T.. and the ram is G.Skill Trident 2000Mhz stuff ... yeah i know it's not on the QVL but it's all the place i went to had in stock = / either that or patriot gaming series.... BIOS version is 2.61 by american megatrends

Edited by ChunkeyLover

ps - nice to see you around PRAZ!

What's up, Wevs?

hmm what praz said is interesting ... it no longer posts as 6GB ... now only posts as 4 ... my motherboard is an ASUS P6T.. and the ram is G.Skill Trident 2000Mhz stuff ... yeah i know it's not on the QVL but it's all the place i went to had in stock = / either that or patriot gaming series.... BIOS version is 2.61 by american megatrends

Do some stability testing using just one stick of ram. If it passes test the remaining two one at a time using the same slot as the first stick was in.

hmmm do you have any suggestions how i should do that .. i umm .. have never really done that sort of thing before = [

you make me feel like a virgin all over again ! : O

download Memtest and burn the image to a disc and have then put the disc with Memtest into the computer press the restart button and then it will handle itself

• 2 weeks later...

If you could post up thumbnails of your BIOS settings (or better yet put them on a template) we can take a look at them and see if anything jumps out.

Regarding running Memtest from a CD - as long as your optical drive is set as the first boot device, and you got an accurate cd burn of the iso image, Memtest should boot without issue.

At some point in this exercise you are definitely going to have to test each stick of RAM.

Edited by wevsspot

ahhh i cant get mem test to run from the iso.. hmm and i dont have a floppy drive handy anymore. . .

now sometimes when it shows 6 gb it BSOD's shorty after loading

The iso is so you can burn it to a cd or dvd and run it from there.

BTW, did you ever check to see if the all the memory sticks are seated in and locked ?