Need GPU Advice

I need some advice from some people who know much more about the subject than me

1: I was thinking about getting a new 5850 to go with my 9800 GT, but i think my CPU (Phenom II X3 720) will be a bottleneck, so what kind of overclock would I need to get rid of the bottleneck?

2: I have a Corsair 750 TX PS and don't know if it will be able to power another Video Card, will it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

What resolution do you run?

As far as bottlenecks go just OC your cpu as high as you can and I wouldn't worry about it. Every computer has a "bottleneck". Theres no getting rid of it. It's not even worth worrying about for most people unless you're running a tri-SLI setup on triple monitors with 2056x1337 resolution with a dual core e6600...then you'll need to worry about a bottle neck. If you're running a single monitor with a single video card (even with another for physics) you'll most likely not see any real bottleneck with your cpu.

Are you planning to run both the 9800 GT along with the 5850 and use them both at the same time on your computer? Based on what you said, it seems that you plan on crossfiring/sli them, but that is impossible to do in your predicament. You can only match your Nvidia 9800 GT with another Nvidia card, unless you get a very certain motherboard, the MSI Big Bang Fuzion (Hydra) motherboard. which will allow you to use both the ATi and Nvidia card. Even then... it is a P55 Chipset motherboard(Supports socket 1156) which is specifically Intels i3/i5/i7, not quite the phenom II(AM2+/AM3) you have.

1) Phenom II 720 will probably not bottleneck your setup, even with 2 video cards to be honest. It should be close to it, but if it does need an overclock, it would be extremely moderate. (100-200 Mhz)

2) Your power supply is more than capable of running dual card setup very easily.

If I was you, I would either get another 9800 GT and perform an SLI setup for little $$, or ditch the 9800 GT and go exclusively 5850 card by itself. (I believe the 5850 could beat 2 x 9800 GTs) Either way, you will need a mild overclock for either solution.

Edited by Finalheaven

Are you planning to run both the 9800 GT along with the 5850 and use them both at the same time on your computer? Based on what you said, it seems that you plan on crossfiring/sli them, but that is impossible to do in your predicament. You can only match your Nvidia 9800 GT with another Nvidia card, unless you get a very certain motherboard, the MSI Big Bang Fuzion (Hydra) motherboard. which will allow you to use both the ATi and Nvidia card. Even then... it is a P55 Chipset motherboard(Supports socket 1156) which is specifically Intels i3/i5/i7, not quite the phenom II(AM2+/AM3) you have.

1) Phenom II 720 will probably not bottleneck your setup, even with 2 video cards to be honest. It should be close to it, but if it does need an overclock, it would be extremely moderate. (100-200 Mhz)

2) Your power supply is more than capable of running dual card setup very easily.

If I was you, I would either get another 9800 GT and perform an SLI setup for little $$, or ditch the 9800 GT and go exclusively 5850 card by itself. (I believe the 5850 could beat 2 x 9800 GTs) Either way, you will need a mild overclock for either solution.

He's going to use it as a Physx card, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think he planned on xfire/sli-ing them but using the 5850 with the 9800gt as a physx card...

edit: What ^ he said lol

Edited by Raiderfan001