buying H2O cooling... need input

Crawlerz246

need new help here guys, if you can...

nearly clicked BUY and before I did, luckily (or un--, IDK) I went to newegg. read so reviews (thinking: "hey I can buy the parts that the swiftech kit contains -lemme look at em first)...

nearly horrible reviews on the GTZ i7 water block! scared the bejesus out of me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-110-_-Product some say buy DD instead of swiftech. OFC I plan on testing in first but hey I'll probably have to fit it into PC (to cut all the hoses right, etc) to test it! right? even with the paper clip/PSU tester method. should I really avoid swiftech and go for danger den? plz guys throw your 0.02$ at me as when I bought this V8 cooler I later realised I should've bought the noctua 14 with 2 fans. forget the fans! just help me not make a 300$ mistake plz.

p.s. still others say the bolts strip like crazy (and I nearly had this problem myself on the V8, thankfully it held. but if it snaps? then what?)

Edited by Crawlerz246

I am just the opposite, I avoid DD products at all cost, also ignore the idiot reviews on Newegg, of course the bolts stripped those guys on there are idiots and probably had a damn pipe wrench trying to tighten it up...

Edited by road-runner

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?sSpec=SLBCH specifically says the thermal design temperature is 67.9C. That's why I said try to keep it under 65C. With a decent water setup, that should be easy. I rarely beak 55C under load as long as I keep my overclock under 4.5GhZ.

Don't want to get involved in your WC decisions (your getting good advice so far), I personally like the HeatKiller blocks myself, but just wanted to clear something up for both of you.

The Intel thermal spec is Tcase temperature, which is located at the direct top center of the processor. Since there isn't a sensor that can accurately give your this temperature, everyone uses the core temperature readings. It is widely believed that the Tcase temperature is between 5-10c lower that core temps. So, even 70c-75c is still perfectly fine and still within Intel's specs. Just FYI.

of course the bolts stripped those guys on there are idiots and probably had a damn pipe wrench trying to tighten it up...

Not necessarily. 2 of the bolts to mount my XT were stripped from the get go. I could push the bolts all the way down into the bracket and there was nothing left to tighten. Spun them with my fingers and they never did get tight. I just replaced them with longer bolts and used nuts and lock washers to thru bolt them. It was a pain but not a deal breaker for me. I don't know why Swiftech doesn't do something about the problem because I've seen other complaints and they must be aware of the issue. That said I would buy another one because they work extremely well.

Not necessarily. 2 of the bolts to mount my XT were stripped from the get go. I could push the bolts all the way down into the bracket and there was nothing left to tighten. Spun them with my fingers and they never did get tight. I just replaced them with longer bolts and used nuts and lock washers to thru bolt them. It was a pain but not a deal breaker for me. I don't know why Swiftech doesn't do something about the problem because I've seen other complaints and they must be aware of the issue. That said I would buy another one because they work extremely well.

Sounds like a manufacture screw up, it happens. I am sure they would have replaced it. Mine is fine have had it on 3 or 4 different times...

The problem with the GTZ i7 water block is that the threads are very fine and very prone to stripping. I had that problem with mine as well on the third time taking it off I watched the threads crumble in the backplate. I contacted swiftech and they overnighted me a whole new set with screws and and backplate. Now I just have to get off my azz and put it back on. :)

The problem with the GTZ i7 water block is that the threads are very fine and very prone to stripping. I had that problem with mine as well on the third time taking it off I watched the threads crumble in the backplate. I contacted swiftech and they overnighted me a whole new set with screws and and backplate. Now I just have to get off my azz and put it back on. :)

Havent yet had any trouble with my GTZ block, I've removed the block several times with out issue so far :)

I origonally got it for my QX9650 (socket 775), put that one back on air and got the bracket for the i7 and have been using it on that system since.

and like RR said I keep hearing that the heatkiller block is a bit better, not sure how much tough..

well look. I'm gonna say this

1) I do not plan on taking the thing off anytime soon or changing the CPU anytime soon

2) having said that, I DID TAKE THE V8 OFF thrice in twoo weeks in the beginning, but what do you expect? it was my first ever installation and I waaaaay overtightened them. in retrospect maybe I shouldn't have.