overclocked my 920 succesfully to 3.8... now what?

Crawlerz246

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SPY V SPY! where'd u get that avatar?

IMHO your vcore temp is too high. You have a DO stepping version of the i7 which allows higher OCs with less voltage, I'm currently running @ 4.1 GHz with 1.24v. Your temps should be better if you lower the vcore but I would recommend water cooling if you want to go higher. 4.4 GHz stable is reachable but I wouldn't run that high on air.

IMHO your vcore temp is too high. You have a DO stepping version of the i7 which allows higher OCs with less voltage, I'm currently running @ 4.1 GHz with 1.24v. Your temps should be better if you lower the vcore but I would recommend water cooling if you want to go higher. 4.4 GHz stable is reachable but I wouldn't run that high on air.

He may or may not be able to lower it, he is going to have to test it. Not all D0s are created equal, some take more some take less voltage...

you mentioned VTT set to auto - please pardon my ignorance, what is VTT? and what is a good voltage to set manually, at least for test purposes?

p.s. should I fiddle with the DRAM bus voltage

Edited by Crawlerz246

Here is a guide that might help.

I tuned my QPI/DRAM voltage to lowest, 1.2 (won't allow lower entries). ran linx and prime95 (not for long, just a few minutes yet. didn't crash or BSOD or anything but the temps did touch a very toasty 82 degress (at least as far as RealTemp can be trusted).

is there anything else I can tune down? should I fiddle with DRAM bus voltage? where should I start? @ 1.65 and go lower until it won't be stable?

DRAM voltage is not going to affect cpu temps, sounds like you have to live with what you have or seek better cooling. i7s run pretty warm loaded on all threads...

tuned VCORE to two notches lower (1.275 or so?) got a BSOD. tuned one notch up. stable. prime95 maxes out at about 78-79

I would consider water cooling but

1) too damn expensive

2) not enough knowledge <_<

tuned VCORE to two notches lower (1.275 or so?) got a BSOD. tuned one notch up. stable. prime95 maxes out at about 78-79

I would consider water cooling but

1) too damn expensive

2) not enough knowledge <_<

I have the same mobo and cpu as you have. Mine is water cooled with the Swiftech H20-220 Ultima XT and runs @ 60-62c @ 100% load. (See CPU-Z validation in sig). No, water cooling is not cheap but it isn't as hard to setup as you would think. This was my first build with this type water cooling and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. You can always come hear for help. 78-79c is warm but acceptable. I would not recommend running above 85c.

Bottom line, if you want a higher clock for sustained periods of time water cooling is the only way to go.

Edited by nanoprobe

Bottom line, if you want a higher clock for sustained periods of time water cooling is the only way to go.

that I know. tho I am looking to set any records. I just wanted to keep my CPU from frying at a moderate OC. I seem to have gotten it to 4GHz (actually decreased to 3.9) and stable. VCORE 1.256 in CPUZ (actually set to a tiny bit higher)? still way too hot under 100% load. about 78 peaks at 82.