Is it cool to have UV cathodes?

My opinion is that it looks nice if it fits with the overall look of the case/components. These multicolour UV cases look horrible, but it can turn

expensive-looking components with ugly cabling on grey metal into a personalized piece of handiwork.

Myself, I got some blue cathodes and UV blue cables to go with my blue-fan'd Tempest. Looks cool, quite blue, not flashy but definitely noticeable.

But really do what you like. If you do things for other people and in the end they don't like it, then you've got a problem. But do something you like and are proud of, and you won't care what other people think.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is that it looks nice if it fits with the overall look of the case/components. These multicolour UV cases look horrible, but it can turn

expensive-looking components with ugly cabling on grey metal into a personalized piece of handiwork.

Myself, I got some blue cathodes and UV blue cables to go with my blue-fan'd Tempest. Looks cool, quite blue, not flashy but definitely noticeable.

But really do what you like. If you do things for other people and in the end they don't like it, then you've got a problem. But do something you like and are proud of, and you won't care what other people think.

Thats just it man. I don't know if I'm going to like it. Thats why I'll try it. If I don't I'll take em off. I'm trying to make it as you said "noticeable" but not flashy with lots of colors like a freakin rainbow. It was all a coincidence, but ~90% of my system is black. All the cards, the PSU, the case. Then theres the blue fan leds, and the yellow parts of the mobo. So it turned out pretty well. In this case I'm guessing that the UVs will just make it look good. Not "flashy" but simply good. lol I chose the UV instead of a simple color because I think that UV is less bright than a normal cathode so it won't stand out that much but rather show off everything in the case without much attention to the actual cathode... I wanna make it like a balance thing n stuff...that when you look at the case you don't focus on 1 thing but rather everything at the same time. If the light was too bright it would attract more attention than the other components.. Thats how I imagine it anyway.

Edited by ballist1x

oh if you want i believe certain yard marking paints are uv reactive. You can get those at any hardware store. I sprayed that ide cable there orange and its slightly reactive. Some paints are really bright though i heard

Oh I stumbled upon a website that has uv reactive paint and it says that it's in Montreal (lucky for me, thats where I live). The place is called "Glow Products Canada" so maybe I can go there and see what they have. It looks like to be around the Forum of Montreal cinema place...I've been there so I guess I just gotta circle around the whole block and it's gonna be there.

@ballist1X I get where you're coming from, I was also wondering whether it was going to look ridiculous. My only advice would be to do a bit of googling, look at as many different UV casemods you can find then figure out which type of setup you think looks best. You might end up finding a setup you think looks cool in a case like yours, in which case you know what to do :) Oh and look at some photos of your case with parts installed too, it gives you an idea of what you'll be able to see and where you should focus your attention.

@ballist1X I get where you're coming from, I was also wondering whether it was going to look ridiculous. My only advice would be to do a bit of googling, look at as many different UV casemods you can find then figure out which type of setup you think looks best. You might end up finding a setup you think looks cool in a case like yours, in which case you know what to do :) Oh and look at some photos of your case with parts installed too, it gives you an idea of what you'll be able to see and where you should focus your attention.

Way ahead of you my friend. I already googled UV case mods, and thats where I started wondering how they got so many stuff UV reactive thus I was introduced to the UV paint.

Though this freakin shop doesn't seem to exists. I googled the address and when I use the photo thing that gives you a first person view of the place as if you we're there, I see that the address is in the middle of the side walk between some sort of store that has nothing to do with UV paint and a underground parking lot. Or maybe it doesn't exist as a shop but rather an office and it only works online which would be unfortunate. Though this doesn't answer the question why is the address false.

Glow Products Canada is called the place if u wanna check it out.

EDIT: Well I found a guide that shows how to paint case fans, and the guy says that it's not needed to use special uv reactive paint. What he has is simply flourescent paint which I can find in a store down town. I'm not sure how good it would work and if it's going to be as good but I might give it a try. 5 bucks a can. If I decide to get my lazy butt down town to get some later on I'd have to get white paint too cuz it seems that it's better to have some coats of white before the color. In any case I'll test the stuff out on my old PC and see how that works.

Edited by ballist1x

Ok two weeks later, I got my uv lights and they are now installed in my case. It looks pretty nice though I might need to get a pair of smaller ones and remove one of the big ones and put one small one on the back or something cuz I didn't have much options to place those big ones. Anyway, I think it looks nice. I took some photos but for some reason they are all blurry. Though the ones I made before of my PC were all good. Any ideas to how to get some good shots?

Yeah I was looking for ideas way before I ordered the cathodes but it just so happens that my case isn't "cathode friendly" so there isn't that much places where I can stick the 2 30cm. tubes so they don't look stupid. If I get to make a nice photo you'll see how it turned out, but I might have to order a smaller pair later on and probably remove 1 big and put 2 small, one on the back and one at the bottom cuz these ones won't fit anywhere except where they are now. I wait till it gets dark and Imma try the photo stuff again...damn my shaky hands. Though if it were my shaky hands wouldn't the normal photos that I did before be messed up too? Anyway I'll try to get it as good as possible.

I can't take the freakin photo. It's always blurry n stuff. When I use flash, the photo is as clear as can be, without flash so that I can capture the uv effect, it's blurry. My hands do shake but that should matter since I use them to make the flash photos which as I said were good. It's like when I don't use the flash, the quality of the photo goes down.

EDIT: OMG! It was my shaky hands!!! I tried putting the camera on a box and using the self timer, after which I completely let go of it and the photo is great. I'll see if I can get a bigger box. lol

Edited by ballist1x