Strange behavior on OC Athlon II X4 620

nanoprobe

I have an Athlon II X4 620 that's been running @ 3.2 GHz for a while without issues. This morning I had CPU-Z running and I noticed something. The cpu voltage, the multiplier and the bus speed will drop and the core speed will show 1GHz for about 10 seconds and then all the settings go back to normal. Seems to happen about every 5 minutes or so. No reboots, BSODs or any other symptom. Core temps are 36-40c on 100% load running BOINC so heat is not an issue. The only thing I can think that would cause this is the PSU. It's an off brand 450w that came with the case when I built this for my dad last year.(It's had cpu and memory upgrades since the original build) No video cards or any other drain on the PSU beyond the HDD, fans and Corsair H-50 cooler. Does this sound like a PSU issue and if it isn't what else could it be?

Just for clarification it's not the box in my sig.

Edited by nanoprobe

Do you have any cpu/voltage throttling options enabled in the BIOS? If so, the throttling that you are seeing is normal.

It could be a psu issue, but the psu in and of itself isn't capable of throttling your processor.

A no name brand 450W psu probably isn't a good decision in the long run regardless :)

Guest ajmatson

Also disable C1E if it is enabled on your board. This will take off all power saving features from the board.

Both of those features can be found in your BIOS configuration menu - third tab over - titled "ADVANCED".

Cool N Quiet is disabled. There is no C1E feature to disable that I could find. Mobo is an Asus M2N68-AM SE2.

It's not a PSU issue; the PSU can't throttle the CPU's clock speed or voltage on it's own. I'd imagine it's a throttling feature on your motherboard. Check your manual on info for the board and see if there are any other "power saving" features at work.

If its dropping speed during a cpu load its probably an issue to be concerned with. If its only doin it at idle (not during a cpu load) and its not effecting anything then its probably a power saving result which is okay. It is in no way the PSU, not at all so dont waste any time on that thought.

you could try: in the control panel set the power option settings to high performance. then check to see if it throttles down.

If its dropping speed during a cpu load its probably an issue to be concerned with. If its only doin it at idle (not during a cpu load) and its not effecting anything then its probably a power saving result which is okay. It is in no way the PSU, not at all so dont waste any time on that thought.

you could try: in the control panel set the power option settings to high performance. then check to see if it throttles down.

:withstupid:

I see no reason to disable power saving when idle (not that my processor idles ever) but I still have all my speedstep and what not enabled :)