Very weird issue..

MandoPatriot

Here is my issue. I have my own nice gaming computer setup, and everything works like a champ. Never had a single issue with anything, let alone the monitor. This issue first happened with the computer I built for my parents, and then my old setup I sold to my friend. I use a 22" Dell widescreen LCD. I pretty much unhook everything from my computer and plug it into the one I am working on/testing.

When hooking up those two other computers, every so often the monitor will go into sleep mode and I can't get out of it. Not even restarting the computer works. Everything else turns on fine, and I can see lights/fans/LED's/etc turn on.

My parents computer was first. While building it, everything went fine until the very last time I turned the computer on to just do a once over. Computer turns on, but monitor doesn't. Could not figure it out for the life of me. Reseating everything did not help. I said . it and went to bed. Woke up next day, forgot it was messed up, and viola it works just fine. Not a single issue since.

Now, I bring my friends computer over to do some work on it. Reinstalling Windows because his step-dad corrupted the hard drive. Don't know how, but it is fried. So thanks Incrysis for the better hard drive!! Anyway, I hook it up, start installing Windows XP, and it gets to 99%. I look away for one second, look back, and the monitor went to sleep. No biggy, I thought the computer just restarted. Waiting... Waiting.. Nothing. Restart the computer. Nothing again. Unplug the monitor, plug it back in. Nothing.

I have about had it with this crap! What is causing this?! Power is fine. Monitor is fine (never once happens with my computer). Can't be drivers because none are installed yet and it happens! Please, give me some help.

That really is wierd....

1. Check the setting within the monitor itself, you know the little menu that pops up when you press the buttons on the outside of the monitor (Ive COMPLETELY forgotten the name of this menu, sorry for sounding like an idiot here v.v)

2. Try swapping inputs from DVI to VGA or even HDMI, just change what you are currently on

3. Throw it against the wall (j/k)

Try 1,2 and maybe thatll help, otherwise... it really is weird :/

Had the same thing happen to a dell 19 A while back ago. After a couple of issues duplicating the problem it went for a while and eventually was a gonner. I Think its the monitor personnally just due to the fact it has happened with numourous systems given the only common denominator is the monitor. but do try to change both the power cable and the vga cable before getting a new monitor.

Edited by boinker

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, here is some more info.. I just tested my buddies PC on my parents setup (their monitor and stuff), and it does the same thing. I am going to try reseating everything, and if that does not work, will put in a better PSU. It needs one anyway... Will keep you updated. Anyone have any more suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, I will try that... I'm hoping the mobo did not go bad.

Let me know what happens,

I just started a new thread with more or less the exact same problem.

The rig worked fine here, but there, with his DELL monitor, the monitor won't come out of sleep mode.

It works fine with his old DELL computer, with an upgraded AGP, card.

I sent him a another card to try.

Will also tell him to try it with just one stick of memory ... :thumbs-up:

Anyone know of an issue with DELL monitors ?