Hard time trying to OC a AMD Phenom II 720 x3 to anything higher than

MerolaC

Hi guys, I'm new around here.

Thanks for reading this post.

First of, the system specs of my friend:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 1.0) (Latest BETA Bios)

CPU: Phenom II 720 x3

GPU: ATI 5850

Memos: OCZ PC2-8500 Platinum AMD Special 4GB Dual Channel Kit

PSU: PowerCooler Type R 550w

Now the problem:

Any time we reach the 3GHz barrier the system crashes or is the hell of instable.

I've upped the CPU Multiplier to 250

I've upped the CPU Vcore to 1.456v

The HT Link down to 16000

And thats it, all i get is crashes.

Now, does anybody know how to do the OC right?

It's the a mobo problem?

Memos?

Or what?

The system is quiet cool. Never pass the 60

I've upped the CPU Multiplier to 250

I've upped the CPU Vcore to 1.456v

The HT Link down to 16000

Here's your problem. You set the FSB to 250, not the multiplier. 250, if I recall is rather high for AMD systems, which is probs why it's not stable.

Sometimes the Multiplier is called the Ratio.. in any case, on a X3 720, it's default multiplier is 14 (200x14=2800MHz).

so set that FSB back to 200 and look for the multiplier. a setting of 15 will bring you to 3GHz, you may need a slight voltage bump from default.

also set HTT and NB speeds back to default.

hope this helps!

Here's your problem. You set the FSB to 250, not the multiplier. 250, if I recall is rather high for AMD systems, which is probs why it's not stable.

Sometimes the Multiplier is called the Ratio.. in any case, on a X3 720, it's default multiplier is 14 (200x14=2800MHz).

so set that FSB back to 200 and look for the multiplier. a setting of 15 will bring you to 3GHz, you may need a slight voltage bump from default.

hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick response!

But, we did that like that. and still not stable.

Anyway, we are going to try again when my friend get home.

Thanks again!

Edited by MerolaC

hope this helps!

I was looking at that too, a Multiplier of 250!? is that even possible :blink: i think he might have meant 25.. that or setting the FSB to 250, anyhow i agree with S117 set everything to default, and raise the multiplier, bump the voltage slightly if necessary ;)

I was looking at that too, a Multiplier of 250!? is that even possible :blink: i think he might have meant 25.. that or setting the FSB to 250, anyhow i agree with S117 set everything to default, and raise the multiplier, bump the voltage slightly if necessary ;)

Nice.

Thanks

Could it be that the "CPU Clock Ratio" is the option to change?

Se here:

ws4dg4.jpg

What we raised (BIOS wise) is the CPU Frequency to 230 and then to 250 in other tries.

Other thing is, in the DRAM Config the memos are "Ungaged", should we set it to "Engaged mode" ?

Thanks again!

u need to set us FSB back to 200 in the picture is 230, this is making ur ram OC to 920mhz. set ur clock ratio to x15 to get 3ghz but it make take to bump up ur cpu core.

Yes, i know, that's an old photo. He has now everything back to default.

250 * 14 = 3.5 GHz not 3 GHz...

I know.

Whenever we go over 3ghz it crashes.

He is still not at home (working till 6 p.m here, 4 hours to go)

Thanks for the answers!

Edited by MerolaC

you mess with the HT link you will get a crash always.

once you get all the basics down and are familiar with basic bios settings you can play with that.

if you cannot break 3Ghz something is very wrong or you just got unlucky with a below average chip.

anyway, you should clear the CMOS then start your computer and update the bios and start over.

do not touch anything other than the CPU clock ratio and raise it slowly

DO NOT TOUCH the voltage until you have done this.

EDIT: and DONT use a beta bios since you are obviously new to this

betas are betas for a reason, and core control and C1E are buggy so dont get F7a if that is what you have installed

Edited by potatochobit

you mess with the HT link you will get a crash always.

once you get all the basics down and are familiar with basic bios settings you can play with that.

if you cannot break 3Ghz something is very wrong or you just got unlucky with a below average chip.

anyway, you should clear the CMOS then start your computer and update the bios and start over.

do not touch anything other than the CPU clock ratio and raise it slowly

DO NOT TOUCH the voltage until you have done this.

EDIT: and DONT use a beta bios since you are obviously new to this

betas are betas for a reason, and core control and C1E are buggy so dont get F7a if that is what you have installed

I'm new to long distance OC xD

I've already oc'ed others PC like mine http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=875152

He's using F9D Beta Bios.

Because with the Non Beta Bios, his GPU works like crap

Do you have the proper memory voltage set in BIOS?

We did not touched the memory volts.

Thanks again!