overclocking my phenom 955....

juanshopOC

hi!, I'm new here, my name is juan, I'm 18 years old, I live in Galveston Tx, and I love oC :P

anyways first of all, here's my budget gaming rig.

amd phenom II x4 955

4 gb ram ddr3 1333 [ and I think here's my problem ]

xfx hd 4870 1 gb.

msi 770-c45 [ here could be another thing that is pushing me back ]

corsair tx750w

cooler master V8

cooler master haf full case.

so here's the deal.

I was on a budget and I have to confess, I went cheap on some parts, like the ram... I bought the cheapest I could find, and same with MOBO... anyways, here's my problem.

I know phenoms are good overclockers CPU's but mine is not getting more than 3.6 stable... I can get up to 3.9 [ heres the proof: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=805815 ] but they are not stable... and if I try to run any type of stress test, I ended up with a blue screen...

I already tried put more voltage, and nothing, also the temps are good, now at 3.5 is running at 29C.

so you guys think it could be the cheap rams? the MOBO?

as soon as I sell my ipod touch I would get BETTER ram, and I also would try get a better mobo, and maybe run a cross fire, just if I can sell some stuff I don't need.

anyways, opinions are more than welcome :D

here's a pic of the insides of my machine:

pc080999.jpg

hi!, I'm new here, my name is juan, I'm 18 years old, I live in Galveston Tx, and I love oC :P

anyways first of all, here's my budget gaming rig.

amd phenom II x4 955

4 gb ram ddr3 1333 [ and I think here's my problem ]

xfx hd 4870 1 gb.

msi 770-c45 [ here could be another thing that is pushing me back ]

corsair tx750w

cooler master V8

cooler master haf full case.

so here's the deal.

I was on a budget and I have to confess, I went cheap on some parts, like the ram... I bought the cheapest I could find, and same with MOBO... anyways, here's my problem.

I know phenoms are good overclockers CPU's but mine is not getting more than 3.6 stable... I can get up to 3.9 [ heres the proof: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=805815 ] but they are not stable... and if I try to run any type of stress test, I ended up with a blue screen...

I already tried put more voltage, and nothing, also the temps are good, now at 3.5 is running at 29C.

so you guys think it could be the cheap rams? the MOBO?

as soon as I sell my ipod touch I would get BETTER ram, and I also would try get a better mobo, and maybe run a cross fire, just if I can sell some stuff I don't need.

anyways, opinions are more than welcome :D

here's a pic of the insides of my machine:

pc080999.jpg

what brand is the ram, maybe you could try raising the northbridge frequency a little to like 2.2 or 2.4 i believe sometimes this helps oc on phenoms be more stable. but none the less its also a possibility that its the motherboard or ram, but you have it at 3.5 which is still modest overclock

welcome to OC, we have pretty much the same build.

take a look at this guide for overclocking the phenom II's http://www.techreaction.net/forums/showthread.php?t=367

i am going to say its ur mobo that is not letting u achieve anything higher. most 955 can reach 3.8 stable just by raising the cpu vcore to 1.5

but then again its possible that ur cpu can only reach 3.6, every chip is different.

Edited by insan3

I was on a budget build to my man and got the same CPU... x4 955 and mines running stable at 3.8.. thats the highest stable run (got over 4 but nothing stable yet...)

I have an MSI 790FX-GD70.. not an expensive MB... I paid 125.99 at newegg but it was an open box deal... I think the retail ran about 140-150.. not bad for a 790FX NB MB... Most others were up towards 200 and it OCs GREAT, no problems with install and first boot up.

I have some cheap RAM too though.. it's Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 2GB at 2X 1GB sticks... Memory seems really stable too... It was only 69.99 again at newegg...

So there are cheap components that run pretty darn good...

Another thing to think about is NB speed like someone else said.. I have min set to 2400MHz.. also voltage is upped... Stock was 2000MHz..

Try upping you NB before you buy other components though

after running some tests, because something is failing with my hardware.... I will try all that :P

thanks guys.

oh and I was thinking on getting a open box from new egg, but alot people said is noth worth it because 80 % the things come DOA.

what do you guys think?

Edited by juanshopOC

I've bought two MBs open box from newegg.. never had a DOA.. they test it first but i mean i'm sure it could happen... Happens with new stuff too

It does come with things missing sometimes and things are opened but it always has a foam pad and anti-static bag on the MB.. which is the only thing I needed... also it always comes with the I/O panel too i think.

Honestly though, newegg is the only place i'de buy an open box item from cuz of their service... I've had a buy one time when I got a CPU and MB and when I tried to put the CPU in it bent the pins... They say specifically no bent pin returns for CPUs...

They let me return and exchange both the CPU and MB when I explained it was the MB that bent the pins... (the little pin holes on the CPU socket werent all punched out completely... now I look at the socket extensively before putting my CPU in...)

Also, ballist1x, I was gonna buy the G-Skill ripjaws cuz they werent that much for a 1333 4GB set (like 70 bucks on sale I think...) but they were out of stock...

I guess great minds think alike huh? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Gopher Love

Be honest with you I wouldn't, I perfer people to not finger products that are sensitive and that expensive before they come to me. found a finger print of grease on the back of a new giogabyte board..... but it worked amazingly. :). that its the reason I open the mobo bag and inspect the mobo before I buy it from any store.

Edited by boinker

even if you got the cheapest ramski, as long as it runs its rated speed you will be okay as you are only pumping the x/s, the ram speed remains the same, just your CPU frequency is higher....

a combination of NB clocking (maybe 2600) and CPU x increases, you should be able to run 3.7/3.8 and have a wipping good setup.....it is my experience if you really push the CPU hard (more x's) and try for 3.9 or 4.0 stable, that is where weird litle stuff can happen, stick with the 3.7/3.8 and tune the rest of your rig around that speed...

laterzzzzz...........