I've been waiting for this a damn long time...

Crawlerz246

Youll love that EVGA board. I have it and have no issues with it. I doubt you will need extra fans in the HAF, it has 3 monster fans. One in front, one on top, and one on the side panel. It also has a 140 (?) on the rear for exhaust. Two advantages I can think of for PSU on the bottom are the case is less top heavy and the psu can suck cool air from outside the bottom of the case instead of hot air from inside the case. I had my 920 OCed to 3.8 with a colermaster V8 and the heat was not bad (been a while and dont remember exact numbers, sorry).

I have one more question, if I may. this board's reviews scared me (one in particular) and I quote "Cons: Terrible layout, 8 pin and CPU fan header, must have needle nose pliers to install ON A BENCH STATION. No way would I try and put this in a case. Oversized chipset and VRM heatinsk are no nearly as effective as they should be based on size. Some booting issues (triple boot and hang that requires you to hit reset with post code 4E because the board has memory seating issues. )nly applies to RAM with "oversize heatsinks" which is 90% of ram today. Need a LOT of volts to run compared to other boards." what's it mean>? What's an "oversized heatsink"? does this qualify http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm currently building a rig, let me share with you what I've found and collected from bright minds who helped me, plus my own good sense.

I got a

i7 920

MSI X58 Platinum-hard to find, got mine from fry's com for 159.99 (a couple of weeks ago) *dual lan* as well (the link is to the deactivated product page - but you can still read reviews)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-220-_-Product

I went with this ram, however I bought it on black friday so I got it for 116.99 + free shipping, now 140

Super talent ddr3 1600mhz 6gb triple channel 8-8-8-24

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=WB160U...f4e9e92d53a68f6

For the heatsink I went with the Prolimatech Megahalems, generally regarded as 1st-3rd best depending on who you speak to. Other say IX-14, others say the new noctua (can't remember what model- it's the one you can use 3 fans with)

If you want low-medium noise fans, ask elsewhere

I went with the Schythe Ultra Kaze (two of them), they're supposed to be quite loud, which I'll be fine with. I have a fan controller on this computer, I can probably use that if it's a problem. Or use the coolermaster ~99 cfm ones I bought.

I'd go with ATI this round. (perhaps when nvidia's new chip comes out, or 2011's version their's might be better, but right now, I'll take ATI and dx11 being on board.)

5850 is the equivalent of the 285. So if you're willing to spend that much look into the 5870. If you want the best out there go with the 5970. I bought the 5850 as it's a solid card. The 5770 is +/- a couple percentage points from the 4870 and you get dx11 support too. Maybe the 5970 gets some of that extra money you save on getting a i7 950.

I'd go with a higher watt psu. I went with a modest 850watt model. Seventeam 850watt ZAF modular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-002-_-Product

You may not need 850 watts, but I'd got 750watts at least. If you want to ever put 2 video cards in crossfire or sli, I'd go with at least 850. Most people who overclock hard, or like to run 2-3-4 video cards will want 1000-1300 watt power supplies. But an 850 watt from what I understand is enough to power 2 low power video cards, or 1 high end one, plus overclocking to 4.0 ghz. Seeing how you mention only 1 video card, and not a desire to reach 4.0 ghz, that 3.5 ghz is fine, 750-850 watts would be ideal for you.

I suggest seventeam, enermax, seasonic, or corsair. Those seem to be the 4 most highly recommended psu's for quality and longevity. I personally own an enermax (good for it's time and features) in this current computer, and again many people recommended the seventeam for the new build.

Hi, I'm currently building a rig, let me share with you what I've found and collected from bright minds who helped me, plus my own good sense.

thank you very much, man!

video: I decided to keep my 4890 for now (it isn't DX11 but for now it'll do, untill I upgrade to a 58something)

memory and mobo: I'll certainly read up on that material.

PSU: I have a nearly new Power & Cooling 910w nonmodular (I read on PSUs a lot and found nonmodular 80mm is better vs modular and 100-120mm fans) so that's what I got. http://www.pcpower.com/products/descriptio..._910/index.html this is it. I bought it with a new video card after my old one cut out. the stock PSU was only 375w and I am surprised my PC even worked! so after buying the 4890 about 6 months ago I got the PSU and installed myself (literally cutting out the stock one with a kitchen knife.)

***IMPORTANT*** will I be able to fit this (or any memory with a big heatsink (they all have them now)) under my V10 cooler if I decide to go that way?

Edited by Crawlerz246

No problem, glad to help.

I'm putting mine is this case, it's really nice I think. Spacious. Not the biggest, but still very, very big. Good craftsmanship.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mp;Tpk=in%20win

Dimensions(L x W x H) 23.66" x 8.86" x 21.65"

The inside is a bit smaller width about 8.0 or 8.1

It's looks pretty spacious. My megahalems should be arriving on monday-tuesday along with the extra clips and the mx-3 thermal paste. This thermal paste is supposed to be the best, and also non-conducting, unlike a few of the others, which means if you accidentally put too much on, and it spills over, you have a less of a risk of frying something. Still probably wouldn't be good, but I suspect it gives you much better leeway.

The video card probably arrives tues-thurs. I have everything else waiting in the boxes.

The megahalems specs are these.

Heatsink Dimension (L)130mm X (W)74mmX (H)158.7mm

Then I need to add 2 fans, 120mmx38mm. So I'll see how that fits.

You might want to ask for others on specific motherboard ram vs. heatsink clearances. But I should have everything up and running the day it arrives. Unless the processor is bad (bought used lol).

If you got the V8, the specs would be this

Heatsink Dimensions 120 x 120 x 158mm

Fan Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25mm

Yours still is bigger in some areas and smaller in others, also I'm using bigger fans which close the gap a bit too. Overall it's probably . However I'd suggest getting something other than V8, unless it fits your budget. It's good for the price I suppose. The Noctua tri-fan might be cheaper though. Either way I suspect it'll fit your case

Which is as both bigger and smaller than mine. You should be fine case space wise. Comparable to mine, and I'll let you know how it fits.

Haf 932

Dimensions(L x W x H) 22.70" x 9.00" x 21.50"

The memory I have looks like it extends out like yours, they are probably very similar as well. Check the link I had for the ram, the picture of the ram there is exactly like the one I bought. Silver with those comb like fins at the top.

Here's a cm to mm conversion tool

http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

So again I say your case size is fine and should fit it. Just ask around about each motherboards specific space. But you might want to change your ram (forgot if you said if you bought it or not). =209 dollar ram for cl 8 1600mhz ram seems like a lot. Plus price I heard should be dropping this month if rumor is correct. If not, then you can still get some good ram for 140-170.

This looks pretty good and only 183.99 - and better timings. Might want to ask around, read reviews. Lower timings aren't the end all be all, but if you can get them for less money, it's worth looking into.

Good luck

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820226104

No problem, glad to help.

I'm putting mine is this case, it's really nice I think. Spacious. Not the biggest, but still very, very big. Good craftsmanship.

I see, thank you very much.

case: how is the IN WIN better than the HAF? besides the price, that is (which is very appealing)?

memory: I have not bought it yet, but I am always afraid to buy something that has no reviews on it yet. and asking around? I have noone besides here.

cooler: not a V8 but a V10 - which is a much bigger ^%#er and will cover RAM (while pointing a second fan at it) - on the one hand it isn't good because it will be very big and a) the memory's heatsink might not fit (there's of course the option of taking it off, tho I never done it and don't see myself doing it), and b) the V10 will have to come off with any RAM upgrade. :blink:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103056

I DONT HAVE ANY LEEWAY WHEN BUILDING THIS - I HAVE ONLY ONE SHOT - I do not intent on it being a blind shot - I gotta aim at something.

I see, thank you very much.

case: how is the IN WIN better than the HAF? besides the price, that is (which is very appealing)?

memory: I have not bought it yet, but I am always afraid to buy something that has no reviews on it yet. and asking around? I have noone besides here.

cooler: not a V8 but a V10 - which is a much bigger ^%#er and will cover RAM (while pointing a second fan at it) - on the one hand it isn't good because it will be very big and a) the memory's heatsink might not fit (there's of course the option of taking it off, tho I never done it and don't see myself doing it), and b) the V10 will have to come off with any RAM upgrade. :blink:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103056

I DONT HAVE ANY LEEWAY WHEN BUILDING THIS - I HAVE ONLY ONE SHOT - I do not intent on it being a blind shot - I gotta aim at something.

Well I don't know if it's better. The HAF is a highly regarded case. I felt the size and features were to my liking better than the HAF as well as it being 109 at the time with free shipping versus ~150 (can't remember shipping) for the HAF.

Here's a quote from my post describing it after opening it.

Okay it arrived. It's nice, a little smaller than I expected, but I'm starting to think all case size numbers are elevated. All the extra stuff (the front, any hardcano dials, and the like) decrease the size of all cases. Still though it was as big width and length wide as my old case, and it's a bit taller. Next time I'm going for a 9.5-10 inch width case. Unless you get that, you aren't guaranteed to get anything bigger than 8 inches actual width. (even then make sure there isn't anything making the width number larger than it actually is)

It's put together good. I don't see anything that will impede airflow. Just the outer shell and filter which are remarkably thin. So the front fan will have no problem blowing into the case. The outward upwards fans also shouldn't have any problem moving air.

The cables are indeed long. They are already tied down at almost the bottom of the case, and still have another 6 inches or so. So the cables basically can reach all the way down and about halfway back up the case. That should be long enough. No door on it, which for cooling purposes is probably a good thing. I didn't really want one this time. Thought maybe there was half a one at the top,but no, no swinging door. Swinging door is overrated, especially when you cringe when your dvd drive bumps into it 1/2 the time you open it.

It also isn't mesh window that can be taken off. It's steel mesh. But it looks pretty cool, and you can still see inside it, so I'm fine with it.

It is a nice case. I wish it was a bit bigger, but still even though it's the same size, it looks roomier than my old case via it's layout. I'm happy, not thrilled because of it being a bit smaller than I expected, but overall I'm happy with it.

Now I just have to see how well it holds everything. But that won't be for at least a month.

edit: also the yellow fans aren't really yellow, more like chartreuse or yellow-green like flourescent green paint type color.

Again I haven't put the computer together so, I can't answer every question about it.

Here's the official OCC review of it.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/in...maelstrom/6.htm

Funny I put some comments on there the day of or after the review came out and now they're gone? weird. lol. Unless they updated it. It's a good review. I went in-depth on some things, too bad they aren't there to augment the review. Oh well.

Check around, the HAF undoubtedly has a few reviews on the web.

Remember, make sure you get the case YOU want. Gut feelings are important.

There are 300-500 dollar server size cases as well. Something like that.

But again I like the versatility of the Maelstrom. You can never be sure about those big fans, which all seem to have these days. The review says it's a good one. If that isn't enough, it has space for 6, 120 mm fans to replace it. The two 120 mm fan holes at the top are awesome, and the way the motherboard is layed out, theheatsink will literally be just a few inches from both the top two outakes, plus the back 120 mm outake. So picture like the motherboard and heatsink sort of in the upper left, the psu on the bottom, and then lots of room between those things and your dvd and hard drives.

Of course I could probably give you the same type of good quirks in the HAF had I bought it. I like this one, and am happy with my decision. It's really grown on me sitting there waiting for action over the last month, we'll see how it performs and if it can grow on me more.

One final thought, it does not have a motherboard tray. This might be a plus or a minus. It's a minus, because obviously a tray makes it easier to put in. But that's probably the most of the extra price, so you pay for it with the HAF. I'm not sure how it impedes airflow, or if it does. Never seen one in action.

Also search the web for v10 reviews. Especially the ones where they pit it against other things like the prolimatech, or the various noctua, etc.

If memory serves correct, the V10 is a big waste of money. It acts like it's supposed to be awesome, and it does indeed LOOK awesome, but underperforms the best regular air-coolers. This is NOT better than the best air coolers.

Also search the web for v10 reviews. Especially the ones where they pit it against other things like the prolimatech, or the various noctua, etc.

If memory serves correct, the V10 is a big waste of money. It acts like it's supposed to be awesome, and it does indeed LOOK awesome, but underperforms the best regular air-coolers. This is NOT better than the best air coolers.

ah. ok. but what is then?