Gmail Multiple Inboxes

kendellrt

In the past I had successfully setup the multiple inboxes lab on my gmail account but have since disabled it. I would like to use it again for my university email but I can't find anywhere that explains how to set it up. Can anyone give me some step by step directions, please?

I do everything with filters and labels (you can bypass the inbox).

1. Create filters is to the right of the search box.
  2. Pick whatever email address you'd like to separate (university, etc), put it in the 'to' box.
  3. On the next set of instructions, skip the inbox and apply the label (university, etc).
  4. If you want to apply it to the conversations that fit the criteria, now would be the time to do it.

You should be good to go after that. They'll show up in the label menu. :)

I do everything with filters and labels (you can bypass the inbox).

1. Create filters is to the right of the search box.
  2. Pick whatever email address you'd like to separate (university, etc), put it in the 'to' box.
  3. On the next set of instructions, skip the inbox and apply the label (university, etc).
  4. If you want to apply it to the conversations that fit the criteria, now would be the time to do it.

You should be good to go after that. They'll show up in the label menu. :)

That shows up in the label menu under your mailboxes, right? I have setup filters before. You said to put the email address in the "to" box, I assume you mean my university address, for example? What I am actually doing is forwarding my mail from university, etc to my gmail, so I guess I would have to put the *@unversity.edu in the from box. I guess I could setup a filter for the different mail types and also setup an inbox using search criteria for the same mail type. Then each inbox gets the right email and my original inbox no longer gets 100s of msgs.

I had a thread about this in the staff forums, but since I resigned due to health issues I cannot access it anymore. It was very straight forward then, but I think that they may have changed the Multiple Inboxes Lab since then.

This isn't a difficult process at all. You're going to want to add your @uni.edu account as a POP3 mail account in 'Accounts and Imports' in GMail settings. After adding the account, you can apply labels to incoming mail from the @uni.edu account. You can also use a filter to control mail behavior and create another 'inbox' of sorts by autoarchiving incoming mail without marking it as read. You'll also be able to use GMail's 'Send Mail as' section under Accounts and Imports to grant yourself a dropdown list of e-mail accounts you wish to send an e-mail from. In these cases, mail will be delivered as '@gmail.com on behalf of @uni.edu'.

Psst, GMail usually detects the correct settings for ports. If it doesn't or if for any reason you cannot figure it out, I suggest calling your campus Tech Support Center. :)