How can I test if a processor is bad?

My friend's computer isn't working properly and I've tried almost everything. When I try to install Windows Vista on the computer, most of the time I get a BSOD right after it finishes loading stuff off of the dvd but before it gives the installation options. I can run an Ubuntu live cd just fine, however. I've tested the RAM, hard drive, and video card with my computer and they work fine. I used a PSU tester and the PSU seems fine. We even RMA'ed the motherboard, but still no luck. Is there a way to test the CPU to see if that is the culprit without having another processor to drop in? Or is this problem related to something else. Thanks in advance for your responses.

check the BIOS and make sure the CPU is running within spec. The motherboard may need a bios update to correct this, or you can look up the voltage and other specs yourself and apply them in the BIOS. In most cases it's just the motherboard doesn't recognize the cpu and gives it an incorrectly voltage, usually too low.

Could you list the parts?

Hmm... now that I think of it, the original motherboard required a BIOS update to even POST with his processor, so perhaps I'll start my research there. As for how I tested the RAM, it is the RAM he is using now is the RAM I had in my computer for over a year. The RAM he bought wasn't compatible with his motherboard, so I gave him my stuff because I knew it would work. Just to be sure, I'll try Memtest.

How much memory is in it? Also what are the system specs? And the copy of Vista what version and arch type is it?

I'm asking because I know there was an issue with the Vista install on some of the disks that if there was more than 2 GBs of ram it would Blue Screen during install.

How much memory is in it? Also what are the system specs? And the copy of Vista what version and arch type is it?

I'm asking because I know there was an issue with the Vista install on some of the disks that if there was more than 2 GBs of ram it would Blue Screen during install.

It sounds like the copy of vista I had, if I had more then 2g of ram in there it would always BSOD when I tried to install.. pull any ram over 2g, install, update to sp1 and then install the rest if the ram.. all is well then.. If you try to put over 2g of ram in before sp1 you will get BSOD's or vista wont load...

• 2 weeks later...

The Vista install thing was definitely related to having more than 2GB ram. Good catch! I forgot I had to do that the first time we installed Vista on his computer. Just completed install and everything went smoothly. I also checked the BIOS version and it is 1.40, which is the latest version. I also ran Memtest and it completed all the tests without errors. Now I just have to install some games and see if the BSODs come back. Thanks for the great help!