• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SnooSnooKachu

SnooSnooKachu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

My friend's computer isn't working properly and I've tried almost everything. When I try to install Windows Vista on the computer, most of the time I get a BSOD right after it finishes loading stuff off of the dvd but before it gives the installation options. I can run an Ubuntu live cd just fine, however. I've tested the RAM, hard drive, and video card with my computer and they work fine. I used a PSU tester and the PSU seems fine. We even RMA'ed the motherboard, but still no luck. Is there a way to test the CPU to see if that is the culprit without having another processor to drop in? Or is this problem related to something else. Thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 XxHellxRaizerxX

XxHellxRaizerxX

Quick Learner

• Folding Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:59 PM

check the BIOS and make sure the CPU is running within spec. The motherboard may need a bios update to correct this, or you can look up the voltage and other specs yourself and apply them in the BIOS. In most cases it's just the motherboard doesn't recognize the cpu and gives it an incorrectly voltage, usually too low.

Could you list the parts?
Laptop: Dell Studio 15 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Core i3 @ 2.13GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 15.6" 1920x1080 LED-LCD screen, back-lit keyboard

#3 CowKing

CowKing

Phil ain't got nothin' on me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

if you can run Prime 95 on Ubuntu then that's a great way to test the CPU
CPU: (Intel)[email protected]3.36GHz|1.4v
Power Supply: (Antec)BP550|550w
GFX Card: (PNY)GTX 460|800-1600-4000 biggest GTX 460 dud OCer
Motherboard: (Gigabyte)P35-DS3R |P35|
Memory: (Mushkin) Redline 2x2GB DDR2 1000|1050MHz 5-5-5-12|
Ayn Rand is the author for people who want to act like complete douche-bags, but don't have the balls to just admit that they are douche-bags.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

OCC Cool Club Member

#4 MasterRex862

MasterRex862

I love OCC <3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

How have you tested the RAM?
If you don't already have it, get Hiren's Boot CD 10.0. Run some of the hardware diagnostic utilities.

I don't like mushrooms, so I only ate the snails.

Posted Image

Core 2 Duo e6750 @ 3GHz :: MSI P6N SLI (650i) :: 4 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 :: 8800GTS G92 :: Acer Ferrari F-20 20" [P-MVA] :: Ultra Aluminus Case
Bose 201 Series IV :: harman/kardon AVR 45 :: Cerwin-Vega HT-PWR12

#5 XxHellxRaizerxX

XxHellxRaizerxX

Quick Learner

• Folding Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

How have you tested the RAM?
If you don't already have it, get Hiren's Boot CD 10.0. Run some of the hardware diagnostic utilities.

Ubuntu has memtest built into the boot CD
Laptop: Dell Studio 15 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Core i3 @ 2.13GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 15.6" 1920x1080 LED-LCD screen, back-lit keyboard

#6 SnooSnooKachu

SnooSnooKachu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hmm... now that I think of it, the original motherboard required a BIOS update to even POST with his processor, so perhaps I'll start my research there. As for how I tested the RAM, it is the RAM he is using now is the RAM I had in my computer for over a year. The RAM he bought wasn't compatible with his motherboard, so I gave him my stuff because I knew it would work. Just to be sure, I'll try Memtest.

#7 RimX

RimX

The Liberal Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

How much memory is in it? Also what are the system specs? And the copy of Vista what version and arch type is it?
I'm asking because I know there was an issue with the Vista install on some of the disks that if there was more than 2 GBs of ram it would Blue Screen during install.

Main Rig: Intel i7 4770K @ 3.5gHz - ASUS Z87-A - EVGA GeForce GTS 560 DS - 16GB(2x8GB) DDR3 1600 - Corsair GS700 700W - Thermaltake Armor Full Tower - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - WD 1TB Black - WD GP 1TB - Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2010) - Intel C2D 2.4 GHz - 8 GB RAM

"You're obviously both fantastically brilliant" ... yeah, rimx and clay are pretty important people around here. I heard that they both created the matrix, but don't take my word for it - or anyone elses for that matter - because it'll likely be ignored.

Yes, but if Rhode Island were to leave, we'd be screwed!

You're not a glass half full or glass half empty guy...you're the one screaming "oh god all the water will be gone soon!" with one look at the glass.

#8 Hyper

Hyper

Of course it will fit, I have power tools.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:28 AM

How much memory is in it? Also what are the system specs? And the copy of Vista what version and arch type is it?
I'm asking because I know there was an issue with the Vista install on some of the disks that if there was more than 2 GBs of ram it would Blue Screen during install.

It sounds like the copy of vista I had, if I had more then 2g of ram in there it would always BSOD when I tried to install.. pull any ram over 2g, install, update to sp1 and then install the rest if the ram.. all is well then.. If you try to put over 2g of ram in before sp1 you will get BSOD's or vista wont load...

sigimage.gif

#9 SnooSnooKachu

SnooSnooKachu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

The Vista install thing was definitely related to having more than 2GB ram. Good catch! I forgot I had to do that the first time we installed Vista on his computer. Just completed install and everything went smoothly. I also checked the BIOS version and it is 1.40, which is the latest version. I also ran Memtest and it completed all the tests without errors. Now I just have to install some games and see if the BSODs come back. Thanks for the great help!