Cleaning out HSF etc on a laptop?

Miek

Long story short:

When my laptop was new, core temps were low 50's idle, *maybe* got into the 70's under load.

Now, it hovers around the low 60's idle and even now under only *slight* load (web browsing) my temps are 77, once got up to 84. The cores will overheat and shut off at 85.

All temps are in celsius, btw.

I'm pretty sure it's dust, because the fans have been making bad sounds too, like they're clogged (my old desktop did this, cleaned it and it was fine again).

I have a Toshiba Satellite A200. How could I go about cleaning out the dust?

Thanks!

Ok, where would I blow from and towards? Through the intake and out the "air exit?"

The intake is on the bottom. >.<

I go both ways, in whichever hole is available.

Yes, I realize that sounds hilariously wrong. That's why I'm here, OCC. Try the veal!

Edited by Waco

Ok, where would I blow from and towards? Through the intake and out the "air exit?"

The intake is on the bottom. >.<

The Dust should come out of the wherever you blow into unless it is caked on. Short quick blows.

Disclaimer: I've never done this I'm just using reasoning.

The Dust should come out of the wherever you blow into unless it is caked on. Short quick blows.

Disclaimer: I've never done this I'm just using reasoning.

Blowing in from both holes alternatively is how I generally do it. When no more dust comes out you're done. :P

The best thing to do would be to lift off the keyboard (or another panel somewhere if the A200 doesn't give access to the fan via the keyboard) and clean everything out as thoroughly as possible.

Even if you think it is excessive you should clean it every other week, the longer you wait to clean it the thicker the dust will become and the harder it will be to simply blow out.

ON second thought don't bother, you have to just about completely disassemble the A200 to get to the heatsink...

:smack:

The second thing would be to determine how you use your laptop and whether or not you are allowing appropriate airflow during use.

If you have the extra room (if you even carry this laptop around) building or obtaining a laptop cooler (or even at the very least something to elevate the bottom of your laptop to allow airflow) would be a good thing to do.

EDIT:

Another thing I used to do was to completely remove the heatsink system from the laptop, it was a lot easier to clean that way.

Plus while I had it apart I applied some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound in place of the caked on silcone crap that my laptops manufacturer had put on.

You can do that too if you think you have the skill and are up to the challenge...

I know it has good enough airflow.

I've had it in the same place all its life and the temps gradually climbed higher.

EDIT: What if I put something under it (like under the "feet")?

The intake is on the bottom, it may allow better airflow.

Edited by Miek

You are MUCH better of simply taking a few screws out, disassembling partially, and then move on to the cleaning to ensure that you are doing a thorough job. You may also want to ensure that the rest of it is clean. It also gives you time to learn the layout of your internals. :)

Besides taking stuff apart is fun.

What if I put something under it (like under the "feet")?

The intake is on the bottom, it may allow better airflow.

Absolutely, one of the best things you can do for a laptop is give it more room to actually circulate air.

Corks, cd cases, bottle caps, depending on how high you want it elevated you can use whatever you want.

If you are using it as a stationary computer then I would definitely recommend making a cooler of some sort whether it be (like you said) just sticking something under the feet or something ridiculous like this one that I made.

It doubles as a cooler plus an elevated stand.

You don't need to do anything that big, even stiff cardboard folded just right can create a pretty decent cooler...

back before i had targus laptop fan cooler thing (which i no longer use because i really don't game on my laptop, and the thing sucked air away from it and my laptop's intake is on the bottom :glare: ) i used two Coke bottle caps under the rear feet, worked fine! plus it raised the screen a bit and made typing somewhat more comfortable..

now i don't really give a shiz lol... though my HSF assembly probably needs a good cleaning too and maybe some AS5 if i feel like taking it apart :P