Greetings from ArnieF4440

ArnieF4440

Hi all, I'm ArnieF4440 from the land down-under. As an intro, I'm 17 (hehe~ young), living in Australia, I love my Anime, Manga and gaming, and I'm a 1st year Uni student doing a security/net-centric computing double major.

I'm currently using a refurbished 5 year old Toshiba Tecra M2 (bit slow but very reliable) cause my 3 year old HP pavilion dv2308TX (yes, a laptop user cause I needed it for school, but not any more :D) has messed up...again ... for the 4th time this year XD. I'm more on the software side of computing, but I've just started developing an interest in hardware. I intend to build a good desktop computer for gaming and uni work (for around $1,500-->$2,000 (AUD)) at the end of this year, start of the next (I've been reading quite a few of the reviews around here and they've been really helpful selecting parts, so thanks).

My planned rig is (still a Work In Progress ATM, getting a couple mates to help me plan the build):

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 (2.66GHz, Quad Core, LGA 1366)

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58 UD4P

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5870 (was thinking of getting a GTX 295 and later getting another one and putting it in dual SLI, but decided on the Radeon 5870 and crossfiring it when I get another one)

RAM: Kingston HyperX (6GB (3x2GB) DDR3, 2,000MHz)

HDD: Samsung EcoGreen F2 (1TB, RPM unknown atm)

Chasis: Coolermaster HAF922

PSU: Coolermaster UCP RS900

Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro Series

Monitor: Acer X213Hbid 21.5"

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Backlit Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Coolermaster Sentinel Advance Gaming Mouse

Arnie~

Edited by ArnieF4440

TY for the welcome mate. I'm certainly hoping it would be, just read through the "how to successfully build a computer thread", the testing phase looks long XD. BTW, I forgot to add this to my intro, but I'm also interested in guitars, I've started learning how to play a lil' while back but I'm usually too busy with uni XD. Right now I've got an Epiphone SA Series Ibanez, a Vox 15R and a Marshall MS-2 mini Amp for practice, and I'm thinking of getting a bass and acoustic guitar also.

BTW, I've always wondered, but would I need to install a 64bit OS for this rig since I'm running 6GB of ram, and would that be compatible with most apps (not 100% sure on how it works, but from the theory I learned in uni, 32bits can properly page up to 4GB of ram, and 64bits can page a large amount which i can't remember)?

Arnie~

Edited by ArnieF4440

Yes, you would have to get a 64 bit OS to address all that RAM. You would not get 4 gigs of addressable main RAM, but rather all your addressable memory would take away from it. Depending on your setup, you could end up with something around 3.2GB. 64 bit can address... 127TB? I can't remember either now, but I'm sure we'll hit it some day.

welcome to occ :)

yea, the 5870 is probably a better choice seeing as it supports dx11 and has some nice new stuff such as the ability to use three monitors.

if you like guitar and want something to get you right into playing, check these lessons out...

he teaches in a straight forward way that should have you playing songs right away and learning technique in the process.

sweet, that's NP, I've still got my 64bit version of Vista Ultimate XD, but I might end up going to Windows 7.

I think the calculations are bits addressable = 2^addressing bits. So that's like 2^64bits or some incredibly large number I dunno.

Arnie~

.:AF4440:. thanks for the site, will have a look when i don't have any exams XD

Edited by ArnieF4440