i7 920 or i7 860 ???

Hi.

Its to late for me i have already got the i7 860 but just a Q!!! I have seen loads of 920 getting over 4 gig and they start at 2.66 Mhz. (real nood) But does that mean that the 860 (2.88) will reach a faster over all clock?

Thanks for looking and taking time to answer a noob

Hi.

Its to late for me i have already got the i7 860 but just a Q!!! I have seen loads of 920 getting over 4 gig and they start at 2.66 Mhz. (real nood) But does that mean that the 860 (2.88) will reach a faster over all clock?

Thanks for looking and taking time to answer a noob

depending on the cooler, but yes you will be able to get it to 4 like 920 or higher but i am not 100% sure about getting it higher than i7 ........

and it is not a rule (higher clock cpu will oc further than the lower clocked )

,one of the members here got the 920 to 4.5 on air his name is difficult (rourkchris) ...:lol:

Edited by N.E.A

Speaking in general terms the 920 will overclock further then the 860. Also once north of 4GHz with the 1156 processors one runs the risk of killing the CPU and motherboard socket with continual stress testing because of lower voltage supply pad count compared to the 1366. Intel has already stated this damage is not covered by warranty and most motherboard manufacturers are taking the same view.

Plus overclocking potential is a chip by chip basis. Some chips will get really high clocks and others will go nowhere. You just have to try and see. But just remember what Praz is saying.

Ahh right, It was just one of them Qs that has always been on my mind.

As for over clocking my stuff, As you all can see i am a noob so will take it slow and read alot before starting. ATM its not even running have to wait for my GPU to turn up (5850 ATI). I have sorted the cooling. It consistes of 2x 500lhr pumps 1/2inc tube on a 25liter tank and a EK-Supreme LT block. Cant find any blocks for the GPU or M/B yet but will look agian in a few weeks.