My try at HDR

Bigevil954

Went out fishing yesterday with a buddy, was a perfect day, light wind, not hot, not humid(too bad the mosquito's didn't go away), perfect cloud coverage. Tagged along my camera and tripod ( and it'll be the last time that tripod sees action, as it ended up breaking after I snagged the tripod with the line when I was casting out lol) and took a few pics.

I Decided to create an HDR Scene infront of the place we were fishing. Decided to blend the 5 different exposures in 3 different programs to see the difference in the effect by each.

DynamicPhoto HDR

3962092281_af439458d9_b.jpg

Photomatix Pro

3962090099_fcf048761e_b.jpg

Photoshop CS3

3962867120_f39fd6c0cc_b.jpg

The first photo is the most "striking", but the more I look at it, the less it appeals to me. It has no detail in the dark range at all, and is waaay over-saturated in the bright areas. My eyes keep getting drawn to the edges of the clouds in the bright area where the colors "clipped." The one from Photoshop is too bright, with limited detail in the darker range. For dynamic range, I'd say the second image (Photomatix) is the best.

I'd take the Photomatix image back to Photoshop and bump the contrast and saturation to get some more of the color while retaining the detail of the rest of the photo.

Edit: Something like this...

3962090099fcf048761ebco.jpg

I over did it a little I think for just a quick edit, but you get the idea...

Edited by 94Camaro

The first photo is the most "striking", but the more I look at it, the less it appeals to me. It has no detail in the dark range at all, and is waaay over-saturated in the bright areas. My eyes keep getting drawn to the edges of the clouds in the bright area where the colors "clipped." The one from Photoshop is too bright, with limited detail in the darker range. For dynamic range, I'd say the second image (Photomatix) is the best.

I'd take the Photomatix image back to Photoshop and bump the contrast and saturation to get some more of the color while retaining the detail of the rest of the photo.

great edit! thats prett much exactly how the scene looked in person

You win...that looks great!

This doesn't tie into the original post, but what the heck ill just post them here instead of making a new post. went fishing today with my buddies at a different spot, took some night time long exposure shots.

3964140951_09655409be_b.jpg

3964140235_bdcc65d1df_b.jpg

3964911282_9b6691864f_b.jpg

3964137867_d18f1a5878_b.jpg

3964912456_0a67f8c77d_b.jpg

3964908374_3feb8339b2_b.jpg

This one is of a church across the street from the park

3964915474_94e7623b19_b.jpg

Man i love my little ol' Canon A590 IS. But mainly i love the CHDK Hack that enables so much creativity.

Edit: just noticed this is my 300th post Woo!

Edited by Bigevil954

great edit! thats prett much exactly how the scene looked in person
You win...that looks great!

Thanks, it was a real simple edit because there was a good starting point. I spent more time waiting for PS to start than I did tweaking.

If you spend some proper time with that Photomatix image in PS, you ought to be able to get it exactly how you saw it. In my version, I just bumped the contrast and master saturation levels. If I were to put more time into it, I'd probably go to the individual color saturation channels (the greens are a bit too high and the reds and yellows could use a little more boost in mine), maybe play with the brightness some... Just watch out that the yellows and whites in the sky and windows don't get blown out by overdoing the saturation.