Whtas up everyone. 940 BE Overclocking general.

ravie_g

Hey everyone hows it goin, hope its good. I love this site and the community keep it up. Joined here cuz i recently got into the OC scene and im just looking for tips/help anything that will further my knowledge about OCing

Down to business.

As i said, i recently got into OCing my pc. I had a 5000+ and M2A-MVP i was running pretty good at 3.0-3.2 GHz. now ive upgraded to the specs u see in my sig.

Right now i have my CPU at 3.4 Ghz @ 1.375V. Running idle at 31 degrees C with about 23 degrees being my room temp.

I achieved this simply by adjusting the Multiplier and not the FSB as u can see in pic. My question is is this the BEST way to OC this processor? or is it just the EASY way. am i doing this totally wrong?

post-68708-1252722218_thumb.jpg

post-68708-1252722236_thumb.jpg

Looks like a normal overclock to me!

It's really easy to do this stuff once you get past the fear of "exploding" your computer. :P

+1.

Its an easy Proc to overclock.

Here is Dolk's Guide

Its on another forum but its a good guide to overclocking in general and for the BE.

here is also Varrens Guide

He is one of our admins and He has an Old, But very good guide to overclocking.

read through Both of them. It will be a very good start for you.

Good luck. Boinker.

whoa whoaa this is really weird now. my PC probe says 32 degrees right. i downloaded Core Temp and it reads 44 degrees?!?! and thats at idle... which one here is correct. another thing in core temp i do not see the temps for each core, there is just one for CPU #0 @ 45 degrees. help pleaze?

o wow, .... pc probe just jumped to 278 degrees for like .5 a second.

......what the heck???

Edited by ravie_g

BUMP Update

im running at 3.5Ghz @ 17.5 Multiplier and 2200Mhz HT Link

the thing is my AC is on and my temps(in Core Temp) are 39-40 IDLE and 45-47 LOADED with room temp being 21-23... are these too warm for my speeds or what? ive decided to go with the higher temps that Core Temp gives me, better safe than sorry.

ive run super pi tests, pc mark tests, 3d mark tests, passmark tests, all with no errors, no lockups etc running rock solid as of now. thanks for the help in advanced everyone

++

Boinker, thanks a tonne for those links, definitely taught me a lot in those tuts.

tkrow21, lol yes it is ive got pas tthat before, but now since i put more money down on this build, im a little more cautious. lol

Hey, those temps are fine. If the temps start to get past the mid-50's then be worried. I have that cpu and using the stock cooler. 3.6Ghz, 18.00 x multiplier, 1.425V. 100% stable. I use AMD Overdrive to manually set the cpu fan speed to 100% which is around 3000 rpm, auto keeps it around 2000. My idle temp is around 40 and the highest i've seen in games is 52. You should be able to set it to 3.6Ghz no problem even with the stock cooler :P

nice, and thanks Super.

Ive just revved up to 3.6 as well running at 1.425V. My HTT Link is still at 2200Mhz but i had to pump the CPU-NB to 1.1V. But here arrives a new problem As u said, and places i read says, lol get worried at mid 50+. And thats whats happening. Idle the cpu temp is 41C, while i run ALL the tests in Overdrive's Stability test, it rockets to 56-57C. I cant even control the fan speed in Overdrive.

I am going to try some stuff see if i can get it to run cooler under load. will update later on today.

I've had a Phenom II 940 up to 3907Mhz for a suicide screenshot http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=668857 and 3795Mhz for a 24/7 stable overclock. It takes a really good aftermarket air cooler to run though as the stock heatsink just won't cut it. It takes a larger voltage increase to get past 3.6Ghz if it can do it so the temps start to get fairly high. Many 940s peak at 3.6Ghz so you may have a good overclocker on your hands. In my opinion you get such a small performance advantage past 3.6Ghz that it's not worth the strain on components or dealing with the additional heat output.

Edited by rourkchris

whoa whoaa this is really weird now. my PC probe says 32 degrees right. i downloaded Core Temp and it reads 44 degrees?!?! and thats at idle... which one here is correct. another thing in core temp i do not see the temps for each core, there is just one for CPU #0 @ 45 degrees. help pleaze?

Download, and use Real Temp!

You can download it >>Here<<

It's a much better program!

57 is probably alright for stress test's as they usually max your cpu out to 100%. Your temps probably won't be that high during gaming as they won't max out your cpu, probably not even go past 70%. The max safe temp for that cpu is 62. In AMD Overdrive you should be able to go to the performance control tab, then fan control, click manual and set it to 100%, then click apply. The cpu fan is displayed as fan0 in mine. If you have a lcd screen on your keyboard you can minimize core temp and it will come up on the lcd screen, good for checking temps while gaming. :thumbs-up:

Your PC Probe is probably reading socket temp, while Core Temp is reading the actual core temp. My Lanparty DK 790FX-M2RS came with a temp utility, and it's typically around 5-10C lower than other utilities because it reads a temperature sensor in the motherboard, not the actually sensor on the CPU die.

But anyway, your temps sound like they are on the stock cooler? With a better air cooler you should easily get 3.6-3.8 GHz. These CPUs need low temps. With AIR mine capped out at 3.7 suicide, but with water I'm bench stable at 3.8GHz.

Inteller - thank you, i did try that before but it says my "cpu is not supported" ?? lol so i stuck with coretemp

SuperEmo - the fan controller is not working in overdrive but when i enable an option in bios it does work. but the fans are slow, with it off the fans seem to be 100% anyway, judging by the speed it tells me in monitor. and what the heck were u sneaking around my room?? how did u know i have an lcd on my keyboard lol XD.

Baulten - actually i was on Cooler Master TX2 with those temps which i got pissed at soo i went out and got a cooler master 212 PLus, my TX2 is a kid compared to this thing lol. i got some OCZ freeze thermal paste as well.

Happy to say it dropped my temps dramatically. im now idling at 32C, and loading at 42-42C. running at 3.6 stable with all tests. loving it. AMD FTW!

P.S planning on putting that stupid TX2 under a truck and running it the phuck over.