minor upgrade

panjang110

cheers guys, so i'm going to do some minor upgrade on my existing system and desperately need some guidance :D here's the system

Athlon X2 7750 oc'ed to 3.225ghz

CM V8

Gigabyte M720-US3 AM2+

2 X 2GB Corsair Gaming Memory @ 4-5-4-12 DDR2-800

XFX 9800GT + Xigmatek VD964 @ 710/1000/1785

320GB WD Caviar

Corsair CX400

Benq G900HD @ 1366X768

Vista Ultimate 64Bit

i plan on upgrading my cpu and gfx and here is some candidate for that

Phenom II X2 550

Phenom II X3 720

GTX260

and for the topping i'll be getting HAF922 :D

i'm in dilemma right now since this rig is strictly for gaming and some video conversion via badaboom so i don't now which one i should pick, go for higher clock or that extra core. since i will be playing at low native resolution this rig will get cpu dependent, unlocking core on X2 550 is something i don't wanna rely on cause it's a hit and miss thing and most games these days does not even utilize all core.

now here comes the problem, my CX400 have only 1 6 pin pcie and 30amp on the rail and after some calculation i wonder if it's going to be enough :blink: even the gtx260 will at least suck 16amp @ 182 watt out of it and there's not much room left for me to oc the cpu. i don't wanna change the psu since it's only a month old :(

help guys :)

Corsair CX400

i plan on upgrading my cpu and gfx and here is some candidate for that

Phenom II X2 550

Phenom II X3 720

GTX260

i'm in dilemma right now since this rig is strictly for gaming and some video conversion via badaboom so i don't now which one i should pick, go for higher clock or that extra core. since i will be playing at low native resolution this rig will get cpu dependent, unlocking core on X2 550 is something i don't wanna rely on cause it's a hit and miss thing and most games these days does not even utilize all core.

now here comes the problem, my CX400 have only 1 6 pin pcie and 30amp on the rail and after some calculation i wonder if it's going to be enough :blink: even the gtx260 will at least suck 16amp @ 182 watt out of it and there's not much room left for me to oc the cpu. i don't wanna change the psu since it's only a month old :(

help guys :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-everg...1-ATI,8471.html 5800 series is coming though you may not benefit very much from it with your power restrictions, I vote you get the phenom II x3 but I know 0 about amd so someone who knows more can address that. If you can return the psu do it.

The gtx 260 needs 2 6pin pcie cables so I don't think that would work though I don't know much about adapters and such, I believe 4850s only need one 6 pin so you could get one of those.

Edited by xchrissypoox

i really have a bad experience with ati due to poor driver support and try to stay away from it :wacko: also i use badaboom for video conversion so i can't utilize the gpu, anyway thanx for the info ;)

in that case go with the 250 GTS if you can't return/upgrade psu.

Edited by xchrissypoox

getting an extra 16sp is not an upgrade man, my oc'ed 9800gt right now is almost on par with that :lol: anyway i'll take my chances with the GTX260 just need info more on these phenom II. how much power will these thing draw when oc'ed :blink:

I dont know why everyone thinks the 5xxx series is going to be cheap so if he cant afford a new PSU I doubt hes going to fork over the cash for the GPU

anyway, you should wait... because the current card prices will drop a lot