• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What problems would those be? I'm all ears. :P

you do not need ears , just your sight :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-283-_-Product (Yes I know it's the best card around but they still haven't been preparing for the 5series launch, that is if the 5870 does indeed meet the 295 eye to eye)

well done danny ...:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-283-_-Product (Yes I know it's the best card around but they still haven't been preparing for the 5series launch, that is if the 5870 does indeed meet the 295 eye to eye)

Sorry, I didn't realize you were an opponent of capitalism.

The GTX 295 is the best card on the market right now. Are you really trying to condemn nVidia from pricing it where it makes the most profit? If their prices were too high the market wouldn't bear it...that's how capitalism works. :)

You really can't expect them to lower prices before the 5 series launch do you?

Edited by Waco

The GTX 295 is the best card on the market right now. Are you really trying to condemn nVidia from pricing it where it makes the most profit? If their prices were too high the market wouldn't bear it...that's how capitalism works. :)

Its that fact hes speaking of.. In the scenario that has the 5870 beating the 295... well lets just say that card would instantly drop $100 if nvidia wants their profits still.

I could never see a manufacturer lower prices on speculation that a competitor might beat out their product.

Edited by Compxpert

Its that fact hes speaking of.. In the scenario that has the 5870 beating the 295... well lets just say that card would instantly drop $100 if nvidia wants their profits still.

I could never see a manufacturer lower prices on speculation that a competitor might beat out their product.

Well...if nVidia drops the 295 by $100 they're still going to be losing a lot of money. They are selling cards at a slim (and sometimes negative) margin to stay competitive. Their chips are absolutely HUGE compared to the current ATI dies at the same price point. That inevitably hurts profits pretty drastically for the green team.

Edited by Waco

I'm not always too fond of capitalism :P, but I would have figured all of the companies would have had the card down to $450 by now. Some companies are down to $470 (or cheaper, since I'm only referencing newegg), I guess I should have focused my attack at Gigabyte, since nvidia really has no say over that they charge for their cards. (unless they lower or raise their price when they sell them to the card manufacturers)

But at the same token, if they already had them in a closer ball park of the 5870's release price then people would be like "hey I could get the 295 instead since it has proven performance and costs the same as the the 5870" or something to that affect. Or people would have already went on a purchasing rampage on the 295's, and thus that'd be less people to buy the 5870 since they are satisfied with the 295

Well...if nVidia drops the 295 by $100 they're still going to be losing a lot of money. They are selling cards at a slim (and sometimes negative) margin to stay competitive. Their chips are absolutely HUGE compared to the current ATI dies at the same price point. That inevitably hurts profits pretty drastically for the green team.

shouldn't they atleast be able to sell it for the price of two 275's?? since that's what it essentially is? (unless they are much below budget with the 275 to fight the 4890)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'm not always too fond of capitalism :P, but I would have figured all of the companies would have had the card down to $450 by now. Some companies are down to $470 (or cheaper, since I'm only referencing newegg), I guess I should have focused my attack at Gigabyte, since nvidia really has no say over that they charge for their cards. (unless they lower or raise their price when they sell them to the card manufacturers)

I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about here...

But at the same token, if they already had them in a closer ball park of the 5870's release price then people would be like "hey I could get the 295 instead since it has proven performance and costs the same as the the 5870" or something to that affect. Or people would have already went on a purchasing rampage on the 295's, and thus that'd be less people to buy the 5870 since they are satisfied with the 295

There's literally zero reason to drop prices of anything before the competing product has been brought to market.

shouldn't they atleast be able to sell it for the price of two 275's?? since that's what it essentially is? (unless they are much below budget with the 275 to fight the 4890)

The 295 is more expensive to produce than a single 275...and the 275 is selling at a loss right now IIRC.

There's literally zero reason to drop prices of anything before the competing product has been brought to market.

I'm not saying they have to, but if it moved their product (at cost) into more peoples hands and that's be that many more people not buying an ATI card.

The 295 is more expensive to produce than a single 275...and the 275 is selling at a loss right now IIRC.

It is?? I figured at most it would be equal or cheaper than two 275s since there'd be components that would be redundant in putting two 275s together. Especially with the single pcb 295's, obviously the dual pcb model must have cost a pretty penny.

(I'm trying to find production costs for the card but it's really hard)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'm not saying they have to, but if it moved their product (at cost) into more peoples hands and that's be that many more people not buying an ATI card.

That's not really how the market works though. :P

That's not really how the market works though. :P

I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about here...

that's it ^ :lol:

(in my travels : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=g...mp;oq=&aqi= , look at the 9th hit!! In that thread you'll see me complaining about the 295 a month ago)

Edited by IVIYTH0S