5870 price range

N.E.A

one question , when you are folding is not the gpu the one who is doing the work since it has ati stream /nvidia cuda ..?

why the cpu speed increase while the gpu is doing all the work ...?

i know these are silly questions ..:P

They aren't silly!

The cpu has to aid the ati gpus, nvidia's may too but it's so insignificant that I could run all four cores and fold with an nvidia gpu and the gpu client wouldn't slow down.

i don't know for sure, but i'm pretty sure it works both, someone else correct me if i'm wrong, but i'd imagine if it doesn't work both the gpu and cpu, it's not making good use of an idle comp which usually isn't being put on much load normally

if it was the gpu i'd imagine it not being so great to have done on PS3s

you're half right, the ATI client needs a core dedicated to any ati gpu running, so I'm running two cores folding, and two cores "idle" to assist the two ati cores I'm running.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They aren't silly!

The cpu has to aid the ati gpus, nvidia's may too but it's so insignificant that I could run all four cores and fold with an nvidia gpu and the gpu client wouldn't slow down.

you're half right, the ATI client needs a core dedicated to any ati gpu running, so I'm running two cores folding, and two cores "idle" to assist the two ati cores I'm running.

ahhh

well that makes sense, atleast with your 4870x2, but it'd still be neat if they could make use of any extra cores if you want it to

i barely ever run any idle processes that would really use up all my cores

haven't started folding yet so i don' know much about it, waiting for that 4890 :D

ahhh

well that makes sense, atleast with your 4870x2, but it'd still be neat if they could make use of any extra cores if you want it to

i barely ever run any idle processes that would really use up all my cores

haven't started folding yet so i don' know much about it, waiting for that 4890 :D

even if you do, folding never gets in the way (except for gaming). It will give exactly you back your processor if you need it. I've even done encoding while folding and only lost like <10% of my encoding performance, so ANYTHING that's not as demanding as video encoding or gaming will run fine with folding in the background.

even if you do, folding never gets in the way (except for gaming). It will give exactly you back your processor if you need it. I've even done encoding while folding and only lost like <10% of my encoding performance, so ANYTHING that's not as demanding as video encoding or gaming will run fine with folding in the background.

The amount of task switching that goes on makes it noticeable in more demanding games (and when running servers) but that's about it. GPU folding is a definite no-no when gaming (especially on a 4870X2). :lol:

The amount of task switching that goes on makes it noticeable in more demanding games (and when running servers) but that's about it. GPU folding is a definite no-no when gaming (especially on a 4870X2). :lol:

I almost could play spore while gpu folding with my old 4870 512mb. It ran at like 25fps

bad news guys , if you want to play bat man with ati (without physx )

and you are ok with it ...

how about if you have ati card and you want to play it with out physx and you accept that condition

and what you will not accept is the inability to max out the setting .....

no AA for ATI cards when you run that game ..:(

http://www.techpowerup.com/104868/Batman_A...are_on_PCs.html

and i now most of will be worried about crysis 2 ...

since nvidia is developing the game with EA , .........

dam you nvidia

just because they did not release their gt300 and ati released 5800 they are doing every thing they can to direct people to buy their product

why can ATI do the same ..?

i have an answer :) : because ATI plays fair unlike nvidia ... :angry2:

i am really upset ..:(

what if some one who wants to play that game with ati and he accepted to play it with out physx now he must accept playing it with out AA ? !!! !!!!

this is silly

I've played Fallout 3 and Team Fortress 2 at the same time... Does that count?

is that folding with one and the other dedicating it to the game?? (which would make sense since a 260 can play fallout 3 fine and the 260 is roughly equal to your cards, Team Fortress 2 would be super easy to run with one card)

Now that is shady.

I usually force AA through CCC anyway...but still. That's .ing stupid.

lol yeah. It's really not that bad, just like Oblivion couldn't run AA and HDR are the sametime. Driver controlled AA saves the day again :D. Come on nvidia is this the best you can do :P