3500$ Rendering/Gaming Rig build

torqueguru

strange because i got a 370 FX to co-exist at one point in time. can't test it now since i sold it. i don't know about the rest of those features both 2-sided lighting does in fact work without a quadro. For less of a fuzz maybe getting one card is a better choice.

Ok, now I am quite seriously thinking of a dual boot config! one for quadro n one for geforce...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost Final Build

Tower Case

COOLER MASTER, Cosmos S - $205

Power Supply:

BFG EX-1200 Power Supply, 1200W - $240

Motherboard:

EVGA X58 SLI - $260

Processor:

INTEL Core i7-920 D0 stepping - $280

Link

CPU and GPU Cooler:

HEATKILLER CPU Rev.3 CPU BLock

DangerDen-GTX295 GPU Block

CoolerMaster R4 series fan x 3

Swiftech MCP655 pump

Xspc RX360 Radiator

EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir

Clamps and tubing.

- $500.

Memory:

Corsair Dominator DHX 12 GB DDR3 1600MHz - $300

Video Cards :

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op - $490

Quadro FX 4800 - $600 (used)

Hard Drive:

OCZ 60GB Sata II Solid State Drive

Seagate Baracuda 1.5 TB 7200 rpm x2 in RAID 5 - $300

Drives:

Lite On IHES206-08 - $ 125

Operating system - Dual Boot with XP 64 bit for work and Windows 7 64 bit for Gaming.

Total cost - $ 3300

Just one last question guys...can 2 Baracuda 1.5 TB disks RAID 5 with a 60 GB OCZ Solid state?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by torqueguru

Technically, it might work, but what you're hoping for performance wouldn't be there (you'd probably have odd read/writes and be limited to the smallest HD size) RAID-5 is usually done with disks of the same size (because of the striping - segmenting and distributing sequential data into the various hard drives) and the same performance. There isn't really a parity drive, just enough information spread amongst the drives that they can sustain a single HD failure. :)

I'd probably say, use a RAID-0 array of SSDs for your OS and programs, and then manually backup data to a single 1.5TB drive (or if you want security, two in RAID-1).

Technically, it might work, but what you're hoping for performance wouldn't be there (you'd probably have odd read/writes and be limited to the smallest HD size) RAID-5 is usually done with disks of the same size (because of the striping - segmenting and distributing sequential data into the various hard drives) and the same performance. There isn't really a parity drive, just enough information spread amongst the drives that they can sustain a single HD failure. :)

I'd probably say, use a RAID-0 array of SSDs for your OS and programs, and then manually backup data to a single 1.5TB drive (or if you want security, two in RAID-1).

I dont think I wanna spend on 2 Solid state drives, since the space i get for the money I spend does not work well in my head! Ok What would be faster? 3 SATA drives in RAID 5 or one SSD?

For your information, RAID5 requires at least 3 drives. It's like RAID0 but with added security.

I dont think I wanna spend on 2 Solid state drives, since the space i get for the money I spend does not work well in my head! Ok What would be faster? 3 SATA drives in RAID 5 or one SSD?

SSD will be noticeably faster in every day usage. IMO, install the OS and demanding programs on the SSD along with whatever files you're working on. Just keep backups of your valuable data on the large storage drive. Games don't really benefit from SSD's so those can go on storage drive.

RAID and number of drives strictly depends on how much more you're willing to spend.

Finally, second generation Intel SSDs are on the way along with a price cut. You can get a great deal in the G1 now or hold on for retailers to get G2 stock. Or just stick to the tried and true Vertex

Edited by Zertz

For your information, RAID5 requires at least 3 drives. It's like RAID0 but with added security.

SSD will be noticeably faster in every day usage. IMO, install the OS and demanding programs on the SSD along with whatever files you're working on. Just keep backups of your valuable data on the large storage drive. Games don't really benefit from SSD's so those can go on storage drive.

RAID and number of drives strictly depends on how much more you're willing to spend.

Finally, second generation Intel SSDs are on the way along with a price cut. You can get a great deal in the G1 now or hold on for retailers to get G2 stock. Or just stick to the tried and true Vertex

Yeah i figured that out, thanks.

So here is the final build, I decided to stick to RAID 5 with 3 Barracudas, maybe will switch to SSD later when the price drops.

Final Build

Tower Case

COOLER MASTER, Cosmos S - $205

Power Supply:

BFG EX-1200 Power Supply, 1200W - $240

Motherboard:

EVGA X58 SLI - $260

Processor:

INTEL Core i7-920 D0 stepping - $280

Link

CPU and GPU Cooler:

HEATKILLER CPU Rev.3 CPU BLock

DangerDen-GTX295 GPU Block

CoolerMaster R4 series fan x 3

Swiftech MCP655 pump

Xspc RX360 Radiator

EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir

Clamps and tubing.

- $500.

Memory:

Corsair Dominator DHX 12 GB DDR3 1600MHz - $300

Video Cards :

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 295 Co-Op - $490

Quadro FX 4800 - $600 (used)

Hard Drive:

Seagate Baracuda 1.5 TB x3 7200 rpm - $300

Drives:

Lite On IHES206-08 - $ 125

Operating system - Dual Boot with XP 64 bit for work and Windows 7 64 bit for Gaming.

Total cost - $ 3300

Thank you buddies, I m going ahead with ordering the stuff. So I believe phase 1 is completed!!!!!!

Once the parts come, will step into phase 2...assembling and then Phase 3, overclocking the i7!!!

Thank u to one n all for helping me out.

Regards,

Torqueguru.

Edited by torqueguru

I still don't really agree on the hard drive choice, but it's your build and it looks great other than :)

:)

Ok...I understand..What about a rethink in the drives alone then. 1 vertex SSD and 2 1.5 TB Barracudas(not in RAID) + I have a 1.5 TB External Drive too...(I really need space with all the 14 bit 12.3 MP photographs I work with...and the HD footage I work with. For program speed...if my files while working, reside on the SSD it should help me with work speed if I am not mistaken. And I really do not want to spend on 2 SSDs to RAID them...I find it too costly for what it's giving me.

So let me know one final suggestion for my Hard drive set up...Thanks.

Did you check out the OCZ Agility? It uses the same Indilinx controller for different memory so it benchmarks slower, but still has the incredibly fast access time. Oh and, the 120GB version is 270$ which hits your 3500$ ceiling if you do remove one of the 1.5TB drives :)

Anyways, if you need the storage that bad, you just can't beat the price/GB of a traditional HDD.

So here is the final build, I decided to stick to RAID 5 with 3 Barracudas, maybe will switch to SSD later when the price drops.

Only use RAID-5 if you have a Hardware RAID card with battery backup...

RAID-5 can suffer from the write-hole upon power cuts/outages, and other system lock-ups etc, if you don't use a card that has write-hole prevention, or battery backup

If you have enough power and case space, I'd suggest RAID-10 or single for the OS, RAID-0 for video/composite scratchdisk, and single or RAID-5 for data

It's quite nice to have more than one striped RAID array, to benefit from the transfer speed, one array reading, one writing, for high resolution video conversion or other video-editing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey buddz,

So last weekend I got all the parts shipped to my home and I sat down for a few hours and built the system. Well What more can I say, take a look at the system.

6000_1090120828108_1679101115_216106_239705_n.jpg

6000_1090121108115_1679101115_216111_68042_n.jpg

683784.png

Thanks a bunch for all the help. You guys really saw me through :) System is rock solid after 24 hours of cpu and gpu tests. I am running on thr GTX 295 now, if the need arises will go for a quadro.

Regards,

Torqueguru.