Is this PSU better for 3 x GTX 260 .....?

(+ the rest)! Edit: Sorry perhaps a bit misleading, 550W for just the gfx cards.

Lets give it another 250W for the rest and thats 800W for a complete tri SLI GTX280 system running at full whack!

Cheers

Paul

Ahhh ok that makes sense, I started second guessing my readings for a min haha

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right so shouldn't it be

12 x 95 = 1140watts

3.3 x 28 = 92.4watts

5 x 30 = 150watts

1140 + 92.4 + 150 = 1382.4watts

I don't think most PSU manufacturers rate their continuos power output based solely on the 12v power output, it's the overall?

I never said they did! You said flip a switch and turn it into single rail with 95A! Ok pull 95A from the 12V rail and your PC won't work, it'll just shut the power supply down because it will need more than 60W from the 3V3 and 5V0 rails. Your initial figure of 95A wasn't taking combined rail loads into account!

reguardless in my case the gtx280's draw 25a each so your looking at roughly 300watts each so thats 900watts in just graphics cards add another 150watts for and avg cpu and your at a 1050watts before anything else, now under normal circumstances you won't see that kinda draw but during gaming, OC'ing and benching, your going to want to make sure you have enough imo. I'd rather spend a little extra money now and have more then enough so my PSU isn't working at 100% load constantly, which is just going to lead to a faster fail time versus a psu running at 70% load.

I am not sure what the gtx260's draw current wise but if they are any where close to the 280's with a heavy oc on the gfx cards and cpu the hx850 would be a fail imo, in fact the reason i didn't stay with the hx1000w is because people are blowing them out with 3 way sli setups and i7's when overclocking them, which might be why it hasn't earned a 3 way sli cert yet, it has the connectors for it tho.

A single GTX280 will pull no more than 180W or 15A and a GTX260 about 140W or 12A. Put the GTX280 in SLI or tri SLI and in combination they will pull slightly less, about 520W or 43A. This is for the gfx cards only, add the rest of the system.

I have seen no reports of the HX1000W blowing out. The HX1000W is a very high quality power supply and should shut down before any blowing out occurs. Can you point me in the direction of any of theses reports? There are many great power supplies out there that aren't certified. I don't imagine for one minute that SLI certification is free and many manufacturers may choose not to pay the price so don't rule out any power supply because it hasn't got the SLI Ready logo.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Let's take it a step further. Why should the SATA power cable be modular? Everybody (nearly) needs at least two I would imagine?

To me, the benefit of modular cables isn't having the choice of which cables to use, but rather having the convenience of initially installing a PSU with just two cables (ATX + EPS12) rather than a big, heavy octopus :lol:

For some PC cases, modular cables make it a lot easier to feed the cables through access holes etc, as you only have to pass the PSU-side plug, rather than 3+ "Molex" connectors, etc

My PCP&C Silencer 750 is one such octopus :lol:

I never said they did! You said flip a switch and turn it into single rail with 95A! Ok pull 95A from the 12V rail and your PC won't work, it'll just shut the power supply down because it will need more than 60W from the 3V3 and 5V0 rails. Your initial figure of 95A wasn't taking combined rail loads into account!

I guess I misunderstanding what your trying to say, and am confused as to why the 3.3v and 5v rails can only have 60w to share when pulling 95a from the 12v rail. I was under the impression there would still be power to supply those rails even with the 1140 watts on the 12v rail, but as you stated below if a gtx 260 only needs 12a then don't hit the switch to combine the 12v rails then you get 6x12v rails at 17a each.

img here

A single GTX280 will pull no more than 180W or 15A and a GTX260 about 140W or 12A. Put the GTX280 in SLI or tri SLI and in combination they will pull slightly less, about 520W or 43A. This is for the gfx cards only, add the rest of the system.

I didn't realize this, I only have the side of the box to go by which says 25a each, at idle my current system draws 250-300w. During benching with no OCing like 3dmark vantage it goes up to 550's to 600's with only 2 gtx280's during a few ocing sessions i have seen the highest was like 650 or 670watts with a e8400 and 2x gtx280's, so I assumed most of that was from the gfx cards, but I guessing i have some other power hungry source in there prolly the Vraptors i guess.

I have seen no reports of the HX1000W blowing out. The HX1000W is a very high quality power supply and should shut down before any blowing out occurs. Can you point me in the direction of any of theses reports? There are many great power supplies out there that aren't certified. I don't imagine for one minute that SLI certification is free and many manufacturers may choose not to pay the price so don't rule out any power supply because it hasn't got the SLI Ready logo.

Cheers

Paul

It was on the offical corsair forums, and evga support forums where i had read them, it wasn't that they blew up as in caught fire, exploded, or anything like that. What I meant was that they were no longer capable of supplying the current needed to power the systems they were in. Peoples PC's boot fine load windows no problems, when tasked (ie load a game to play, run a benchmark) the PSU couldn't keep up and the pc would shut down. Corsair of course would just RMA the unit, so it's all good. The point is when stressed under full load longer things go out faster. I for one don't enjoy waiting weeks to get my pc back working while rma's are being satisfied.

To me, the benefit of modular cables isn't having the choice of which cables to use, but rather having the convenience of initially installing a PSU with just two cables (ATX + EPS12) rather than a big, heavy octopus :lol:

For some PC cases, modular cables make it a lot easier to feed the cables through access holes etc, as you only have to pass the PSU-side plug, rather than 3+ "Molex" connectors, etc

My PCP&C Silencer 750 is one such octopus :lol:

As are my Tuniq and Thermaltake 1200 watt monsters.

To the OP with a similar rig I pull 511 watts from the wall under load with 2 cards in SLI

Thank you so much for saying this! 100% modular is such a silly thing to design and even sillier to seek out. Why should the 20/24 pin connector be modular? Why would you ever not use that? How is that feature useful? I have my reservations on any form of modularity, but 100% is just definitely silly to me.

I still think the HX850 single-rail is the way to go.

I agree with you on that account Varren, But One use would be if your PSU did infact go out it would make removing and renewing the PSU alot easier... Given that you did not fray a cable to Burn up the PSU. :P

Is it just me or do we need to make a rant section for PSU's

Edited by boinker

i am intrested in this 1200 watts PSU for 3 x gtx 280s.............what do you say?

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/power/t...w0156/w0156.asp

You'll need approximately 550W just for the graphics cards so the necessary power is there and so are the PCI-E connectors ( 3 x 6 pin + 3 x 8 pin) but for some of the reasons given above I think you'd be better off with a single 12V rail power supply when three powerful graphics are involved.

Cheers

Paul

I agree with you on that account Varren, But One use would be if your PSU did infact go out it would make removing and renewing the PSU alot easier... Given that you did not fray a cable to Burn up the PSU. :P

Is it just me or do we need to make a rant section for PSU's

I hope the power supply manufacturers don't use that in their literature!

"Our power supply is 100% modular which makes the task of replacing it so much simpler when it blows up." :lol:

Cheers

Paul