I can taste 3.60+ ghz but getting to hot

Boinker

Get zalman zalman cnps10x extreme, overclocked my 920 to 3.7Ghz stable. the temps are under 55C. idle 35m 53 on full load,(ran occt for a hour, through the whole test the temp was around the 50c/49c, max temp i got was 53c). and i didnt lap my cpu ;/

please dont give boinker ideas about power sanders he mite just try it and he got into this becuase of me but since i dont oc very much now days he has to rely on a good source of info so i led him here :)

i think the zalman 9500 is the route to go personally ive been looking at them with lappped CPU's and they dont look like they need any work on them. Try running Prime95 on your rig see what load temps are mate

i think the zalman 9500 is the route to go personally ive been looking at them with lappped CPU's and they dont look like they need any work on them. Try running Prime95 on your rig see what load temps are mate

that doesn't make it a good cooler though, the TRUE is already great WITHOUT lapping, if you lap it then it get's retarded how well it can cool. Though I imagine similar things can be said about the Sunbeam Core Contact. I've just never been a fan of Zalman coolers, everyone I've seen using one seems to get little to no edge over a stock cooler.

I've used a Zalman 9700 in the past. It was much better than a stock cooler but didn't provide the cooling I needed. Switched to a TRUE and was blown away by the comparison. My Zalman sits in a corner gathering dust now.

I've used a Zalman 9700 in the past. It was much better than a stock cooler but didn't provide the cooling I needed. Switched to a TRUE and was blown away by the comparison. My Zalman sits in a corner gathering dust now.

how much did the Zalman cost?

I paid $59.99+shipping on 1-12-08. It's $52.49+shipping now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118019

It's a premium priced product that doesn't give premium performance. It's not a terrible product it just doesn't provide the cooling of some lower priced coolers. I have a Xigmatec S1283 with the backplate that is far superior. The TRUE Black performs even better than the Xigmatec. I still prefer the Prolimatech Megahalems over them all though it does only slightly better with my setup over the TRUE. I switched all 4 of my systems coolers to the Prolimatech I was so impressed with it and have absolutely zero regrets.

Leaves me with a Zalman CNPS9700, Xigmatec S1283, and a TRUE Black collecting dust though.

Edited by rourkchris

I paid $59.99+shipping on 1-12-08. It's $52.49+shipping now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118019

It's a premium priced product that doesn't give premium performance. It's not a terrible product it just doesn't provide the cooling of some lower priced coolers. I have a Xigmatec S1283 with the backplate that is far superior. The TRUE Black performs even better than the Xigmatec. I still prefer the Prolimatech Megahalems over them all though it does only slightly better with my setup over the TRUE. I switched all 4 of my systems coolers to the Prolimatech I was so impressed with it and have absolutely zero regrets.

Leaves me with a Zalman CNPS9700, Xigmatec S1283, and a TRUE Black collecting dust though.

you should throw those up onto the OCC MarketPlace, I'm sure somebody could get some good use outta them. I should clarify what I meant about the Zalman's, I should of said they weren't worth buying because like you said they have high price tags and don't work as well as alot of equal or cheaper coolers

True enough. Im going to experiement with lapping later on after I do it to a chip I can afford to Lose. :) But like people say.. It makes an improve. Or maybe I can have fueler plane it if he is still arround here somewhere.

Before you do this put some of that anti static foam on the pins so you won't run as high of a risk of bending them that way. Well the one thing to remember is start with 400 grit taped to a piece of glass and only do up/down motions. Just with enough pressure to push the processor across the sand paper. No matter what it looked like, at 30 passes (up+down= 1 pass) I turned it 90 degrees and did it again. Once I got where a razor blade could sit across the chip at all directions with no gaps I moved up 30 passes four times on each grade of sand paper in this order.==> 600,800, 1000, 1500, and finally 2000 grit checking it with the razor blade between. Take your time. When you are done with the 2000 grit you should be able to see your reflection real good. The cooler was a bit more on the tricky side because of the heat pipes being in the way of where my hand needed to be but with patience can be worked with successfully. I found a video on Utube where a dude did it this way.

Hey guys thanks a bunch for all the replies.

Im going to get that Silly Athlon 64 x2 I have laying around running and see the performance difference at stock speed and overclocked the way it comes and lapped.

It will be a fun experiment.

Hey guys thanks a bunch for all the replies.

Im going to get that Silly Athlon 64 x2 I have laying around running and see the performance difference at stock speed and overclocked the way it comes and lapped.

It will be a fun experiment.

cool get the results up mate pre lapped and lapped will be interesting

cool get the results up mate pre lapped and lapped will be interesting

Got to get a new PSU and Operating system then It will happen. Im going to be using a Stock AMD cooler.... Or Whatever I feel like, Im also going to attempt A few different TIM methods and input on it all.... Im going to need more AS5