I can taste 3.60+ ghz but getting to hot

Boinker

I now have my AMD phenom II X4 940 BE, that has been disired for a while, and in the past two days of ownership I have been pushing it up too its limits. Right now I can get it stable at 3.60GHZ BUT the kicker is it builds its way up to 60C slowly over occt linpak and I eventually cut it off after abouto 15 minutes cause I don't want the chip running over that temperature. Now I am faced with the inevitable. Water cooling or a better air cooler. I would like to Build a water cooling set-up but I need to raise funds for a while to do so. right now I have a coolermaster gemini II dual fan set-up and I would like to try to upgrade it so I can get by at the 3.60 mark at reasonable temps. im going to attempt Moving the fans to the molex connector to try it but I do not know what good thats going to do. So i turn to you guys for a bettery air cooling solution. budget is roughly 100 usd. All advice shall be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Boinker :)

ive been looking a lapping mine and getting a Zalman 9500 see if i can knock a few C off my cpu, its either that or water cool it mate Zalman 9500 looks like a good choice though or the cooler master v12 if you got a nice size case.

Edited by AMD810boi

I lapped my 955 and the Tuniq Tower up to 2000 grit sand paper. I was really surprised how uneven the processor was alone. The center is lower than the sides. The Tuniq Tower was rougher than the 400 grit I started with but flat. It didn't make a "staggering" difference in cooling (5c-8c cooler) but every little bit helps. With just a smudge of Artic 5 in between, the temps are a bit more consistent than before.

ive been looking a lapping mine and getting a Zalman 9500 see if i can knock a few C off my cpu, its either that or water cool it mate Zalman 9500 looks like a good choice though or the cooler master v12 if you got a nice size case.

True enough. Im going to experiement with lapping later on after I do it to a chip I can afford to Lose. :) But like people say.. It makes an improve. Or maybe I can have fueler plane it if he is still arround here somewhere.

I lapped my 955 and the Tuniq Tower up to 2000 grit sand paper. I was really surprised how uneven the processor was alone. The center is lower than the sides. The Tuniq Tower was rougher than the 400 grit I started with but flat. It didn't make a "staggering" difference in cooling (5c-8c cooler) but every little bit helps. With just a smudge of Artic 5 in between, the temps are a bit more consistent than before.

You know I was almost tempted to do that to the Cooler I have and to the chip BUT as stated earlier I would like to do it on a chip I don't really care about to test the theory and make my methods right. :) IN my opinion.. every C counts. :) expecially when you want to ceiling the chip at 60 or less.

Edited by boinker

ok. Sence I cannot delete posts and clean them Up I have looked at all the posts and made a reply to my head. sorry If i left anyone out. Pending decision on what I want to do.

I may lap my Q9450 and TRUE one of these days (since I heard the TRUE comes poorly flattened and my Q9450 wouldn't be a HUGE loss, and I could afford another if anything real bad happened.) Now to use the power sander I just bought :D (kidding kidding!!)