Sunbeam Fan Controller

Hey guys!

I just got a Sunbeam RHK-BA Rheobus 5.25" Bay 4 Channel 20W Fan Controller Panel for my 3 x Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fans, 1 x Thermaltake A2018 120mm, and i don't know if the fan controller might be holding the fans back (bottle necking)?

Any advice?

Thanks

Hey guys!

I just got a Sunbeam RHK-BA Rheobus 5.25" Bay 4 Channel 20W Fan Controller Panel for my 3 x Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fans, 1 x Thermaltake A2018 120mm, and i don't know if the fan controller might be holding the fans back (bottle necking)?

Any advice?

Thanks

Rated at 20W per channel with most fans at no more than 10W it's very unlikely it's holding the fans back. ( The Scythes are 7.2W and the Thermaltake is 5.76W). However I have to say the only reason I see in fitting a controller is to "hold the fans back" otherwise just wire them to 12V and let them go. There is a chance, depending on the design, that you cannot give the full 12V to the fans because the control circuitry will drop a small voltage across it.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Rated at 20W per channel with most fans at no more than 10W it's very unlikely it's holding the fans back. ( The Scythes are 7.2W and the Thermaltake is 5.76W). However I have to say the only reason I see in fitting a controller is to "hold the fans back" otherwise just wire them to 12V and let them go. There is a chance, depending on the design, that you cannot give the full 12V to the fans because the control circuitry will drop a small voltage across it.

Cheers

Paul

no, Rapid's right I have the same fan controller for my Ultra Kazes that are on my TRUE and they definitely don't spin as fast as when they are hooked directly into the PSU's molex

The fans are not getting the full 12V then and as previously mentioned this will be due to a volt drop across the speed control circuitry. Anyone got a voltmeter to see what the fans are getting at full speed?

Cheers

Paul

The fans are not getting the full 12V then and as previously mentioned this will be due to a volt drop across the speed control circuitry. Anyone got a voltmeter to see what the fans are getting at full speed?

Cheers

Paul

I'll see if I can find mine and run the test myself, I know I have one. I just haven't had to use it in a while

I use a sunbeam fan controller and built a jumper to read the fan speed from the mobo.

Just another way to tell if the fans are at full speed in case someone doesn't have a dvm.

I dont understand, if you want the fans at full speed, why bother with a fan controller?

I am sure the small voltage drop is gonna make NO impact on cooling performance.

I dont understand, if you want the fans at full speed, why bother with a fan controller?

I am sure the small voltage drop is gonna make NO impact on cooling performance.

Precisely :D, they cool just as well at 70 or 80 percent (assuming that's how much they're limited down to).

I usually tune down the controller to the lowest it will go until the fans just about run out of power. They run so quiet

Edited by IVIYTH0S